• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I meant more the training squad itself. I think Rennies checking his options out. I personally think Holloway has been in good form and guess he’d be looked at at 6, as, like you say, he’s probably not big enough for a test lock. But 6 is a position we aren’t short on talent. It might be an insight into how DR wants to play?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I also think there's value in bringing an experienced leader into a camp like this even if you are unlikely to select them in an actual squad.

Holloway can have a pretty strong positive influence on some of the younger guys at the Tahs who are going to be part of the test squad later in the year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I was actually baffled by Holloway's selection as well

A reasonable Super Rugby standard short lock, but he ain't a test lock and he ain't a test back rower - so what does he add to a test side?
]

About as much as Neville. Or me.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I meant more the training squad itself. I think Rennies checking his options out. I personally think Holloway has been in good form and guess he’d be looked at at 6, as, like you say, he’s probably not big enough for a test lock. But 6 is a position we aren’t short on talent. It might be an insight into how DR wants to play?

I'd prefer Anstee at 6.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I also think there's value in bringing an experienced leader into a camp like this even if you are unlikely to select them in an actual squad.

Holloway can have a pretty strong positive influence on some of the younger guys at the Tahs who are going to be part of the test squad later in the year.

Agree re influence with the Tahs, but this is a 3 day Wallaby camp where I'm not sure his presence will be overly impactful, especially considering he isn't capped himself. Considering I don't see him making the playing squad later in the year, I would rather they bring the young guy in who needs a bit of focus, show them what it's like to train in a national setup and hope they leave camp with a stronger desire to play for the team.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I'd prefer Anstee at 6.
We are flush with 6s. Along with Anstee; Uru, ASY (Angus Scott-Young), FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) all didn’t make it either. Could be leadership? Could be lineout option? Could be another forward hitting rucks so Tupou or Bell can get more runs in? Could be a lock/flanker/8 bench option? Maybe Rennie gave him work ons that he’s achieved? I can only think Rennie sees something specific that he may bring. But it is only a three day training camp to see who’s who in the zoo.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Holloway might just be there to give a masterclass on how to hold up the ball carrier and force a maul. That little innovation has really helped turn the Tahs’ fortunes around.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
About as much as Neville. Or me.

I’ve noticed you’ve mentioned him a few times now… but it’s weird considering he was one of the most lauded locks playing in Australia the past two seasons, and along with Fraser McReight featured in the most G&GR team of the week polls in 2021.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I’ve noticed you’ve mentioned him a few times now… but it’s weird considering he was one of the most lauded locks playing in Australia the past two seasons, and along with Fraser McReight featured in the most G&GR team of the week polls in 2021.

What are you, the GAGGER Policeman? I have never rated the big boof since he dogged it in a Shute Shield Final against Eastwood.

AFAIK we are all entitled to our own opinions, even when they differ from Bunglies groupthink.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What are you, the GAGGER Policeman? I have never rated the big boof since he dogged it in a Shute Shield Final against Eastwood.

AFAIK we are all entitled to our own opinions, even when they differ from Bunglies groupthink.

Oh sure, we're all entitled to our opinions... but generally they're founded on relevant criteria pertaining to the topic, and not on the fractured memory of some octogenarian's experience in the sausage sizzle queue at the north v northwest Sydney park game a generation ago.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Neville is probably the biggest surprise inclusion in my books. And I am a fan. But he's only played the one game this season right? And was pretty average there.

Oops sorry. Ryan Loneragan the biggest surprise inclusion. Must be a whiz on the team coffee machine.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Not sure how being a good Super Rugby journeyman equates to being an experienced leader/mentor in a test squad

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Neville is probably the biggest surprise inclusion in my books. And I am a fan. But he's only played the one game this season right? And was pretty average there.

Oops sorry. Ryan Loneragan the biggest surprise inclusion. Must be a whiz on the team coffee machine.
I prefer the Ryan Lonergan selection to Lachlan Lonergan. I get that he has qualities our other hookers don’t, and that it is a position of weakness, but he has a fair way to go IMO and I’m really hoping we don’t get down to needing him v England.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I prefer the Ryan Lonergan selection to Lachlan Lonergan. I get that he has qualities our other hookers don’t, and that it is a position of weakness, but he has a fair way to go IMO and I’m really hoping we don’t get down to needing him v England.
Ryan Lonergan is very good...

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Must be useful to have some training partners to provide opposition I suppose.
Should have had the U20 camp at the same time and location. Each Head Coach could have done their own thing but come together for small sessions. Use the Juniors to "hold the pads" for the seniors so to speak.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure how being a good Super Rugby journeyman equates to being an experienced leader/mentor in a test squad

With Gordon out he's the captain of the Waratahs.

I'm not really talking about him bringing leadership to the Wallabies, moreso that the influence he provides at the Waratahs is important. I'm definitely of the view that the culture and leadership at the Super Rugby teams is important to the Wallabies. The people influencing that aren't always going to be core Wallaby squad members (or might not be Wallabies at all).