• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2023

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pulu is the Kiwi winger number 554 in the last decade. I'd pick an NRL winger before him. RA must put the BIG money in Kerevi and Koroibete, key players for Wallabies backline
Well, they've already gone so they'll only be available for a fraction of the season and certainly not for a mid Super Rugby training squad.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

"Breakdown: Brumbies 15, NSW Waratahs 10, Queensland Reds 8, Melbourne Rebels 4, Western Force 3"

WTF? Has someone at the Reds poked a bear? To be a dominant leading team for 2 years now then have capable in form players passed over for some that haven't even laced up the boots this year is just unbelievable.

If we take this concept into the business world, a CEO that kept under performing staff would either end up broke or out of a job them self.

There looks like a change to contracts should be on the agenda of the board.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
"Breakdown: Brumbies 15, NSW Waratahs 10, Queensland Reds 8, Melbourne Rebels 4, Western Force 3"

WTF? Has someone at the Reds poked a bear? To be a dominant leading team for 2 years now then have capable in form players passed over for some that haven't even laced up the boots this year is just unbelievable.

If we take this concept into the business world, a CEO that kept under performing staff would either end up broke or out of a job them self.

So who else would you have from the Reds?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Yeah that's just an overreaction.

Look at the squad. Who should have been there.

None of the props.
Mafi perhaps if he was fit, so none of the hookers
I'd make a strong case for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but the lock market is flooded (ironically) at the moment.
Similarly Wright (who has barely played) and Uru but again, bucketloads of backrow depth
No one else in the halves.
I like Stewart heaps and think he is playing career best rugby but if he's not being considered now, he never will. Plus Simone missed out and I'd have Irae ahead of Stewart.
Then outwide Flook is great, but I don't think Wallaby ready just yet.

So nothing getting to angsty and crying conspiracy about. Particularly as its basically just a chat fest.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

So who else would you have from the Reds?
It is a train and trial camp so there are a few worth a closer look by Rennie and crew
There are only 5 props in the squad so why not take a young fella looking to the future - Zander or Hoopert
Locks - Ryan Smith is a work horse but appreciate there are a lot of locks in the squad
Loose forwards - Sere Uru and possibly ASY (Angus Scott-Young) or Liam Wright
Wings - Some conjecture about outside backs but for the money invested in Vunavalu I am puzzled. Potentially Flook for an eye to the future as well.

My thought is this camp is not to select the next test team for June but to see and monitor what artillery is available. I would like it to be 50 players instead of 40, with a clear understanding for the players that the next camp will be 30 so a heavy cull will happen but all will be given "take aways" to work on individually. This is especially important for the "young uns" so that continue to improve / develop. Remember the 20/21 year olds will be the prime age for the RWC in 2027. The 30 year olds of today probably wont be around in 2027.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah that's just an overreaction.

Look at the squad. Who should have been there.

None of the props.
Mafi perhaps if he was fit, so none of the hookers
I'd make a strong case for LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but the lock market is flooded (ironically) at the moment.
Similarly Wright (who has barely played) and Uru but again, bucketloads of backrow depth
No one else in the halves.
I like Stewart heaps and think he is playing career best rugby but if he's not being considered now, he never will. Plus Simone missed out and I'd have Irae ahead of Stewart.
Then outwide Flook is great, but I don't think Wallaby ready just yet.

So nothing getting to angsty and crying conspiracy about. Particularly as its basically just a chat fest.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is stilla chance for the next round if he keeps having a solid season once returned from injury. I'd have him inthe 'top 4' if not choosing from overseas.

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)

I'm surprised none has come out with the obligatory "too many Tahs" yet

I would have liked to see Stewart in there

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It is a train and trial camp so there are a few worth a closer look by Rennie and crew
There are only 5 props in the squad so why not take a young fella looking to the future - Zander or Hoopert
Locks - Ryan Smith is a work horse but appreciate there are a lot of locks in the squad
Loose forwards - Sere Uru and possibly ASY (Angus Scott-Young) or Liam Wright
Wings - Some conjecture about outside backs but for the money invested in Vunavalu I am puzzled. Potentially Flook for an eye to the future as well.

My thought is this camp is not to select the next test team for June but to see and monitor what artillery is available. I would like it to be 50 players instead of 40, with a clear understanding for the players that the next camp will be 30 so a heavy cull will happen but all will be given "take aways" to work on individually. This is especially important for the "young uns" so that continue to improve / develop. Remember the 20/21 year olds will be the prime age for the RWC in 2027. The 30 year olds of today probably wont be around in 2027.
this camp isn't about 2027. It's about 2023. That's 536 days away.

And don't for a moment think that people not in the squad aren't getting feedback.

And I am glad they haven't picked an extra 10 players just so they feel the love, particularly when those funds (if there is any available) could be used for the Womens RWC which is only 201 days away

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

this camp isn't about 2027. It's about 2023. That's 536 days away.

And don't for a moment think that people not in the squad aren't getting feedback.

And I am glad they haven't picked an extra 10 players just so they feel the love, particularly when those funds (if there is any available) could be used for the Womens RWC which is only 201 days away
If you are worried about funds then maybe you should look at where the revenue is derived and conversely wasted.

Like any budget in any business it is critical to spend / invest where there is the best return ( or potential for a positive return).

If rugby wants to have a product to sell then longer term thinking has to come into play. Putting band aids on it by hiring mercenaries from RL or other outlets (countries) is a poor foundation IMO.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm surprised none has come out with the obligatory "too many Tahs" yet

I would have liked to see Stewart in there

With Kerevi bolted on as the 12, what would be his roll in building a RWC squad?

Pasami will be his back up, with the sheer desperation back up pick of Foteki (because he plays a more ball running style, not because I rate him)

I like Stewart but I can't see him being selected, his core benefit is being very very solid

Rennie looks to want units with the potential to win those one on ones like Kiwi sides

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Stewart is only 24, he is very much still in the mix as a Wallaby in years to come, I agree though he serves no purpose in a 2023 RWC squad when there are clearly options ahead of him.

I think it's unlikely (though not impossible) that Kerevi will be the clear standout choice in the centres for the 2027 RWC. If Stewart keeps his currently form but adds a few more strings to the bow attack wise, there is no reason he couldn't set that as goal.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
Unfortunately for the Reds, Stewart is hitting his prime as a valuable overseas signing for a euro or japanese club. he's a proven professional rugby player, with plenty of Super Rugby experience, who is not being looked at by national selectors.
(i'm not here promoting the rumour brought up on the Reds 2022 thread - this more a comment on the current dynamics and opportunities available to pro rugby players in oz.)

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Unfortunately for the Reds, Stewart is hitting his prime as a valuable overseas signing for a euro or japanese club. he's a proven professional rugby player, with plenty of Super Rugby experience, who is not being looked at by national selectors.
(i'm not here promoting the rumour brought up on the Reds 2022 thread - this more a comment on the current dynamics and opportunities available to pro rugby players in oz.)

Obviously we don't want to lose anyone of value, but it may not be the worst for his game to go overseas for a few seasons, lead a Japanese side around the park at 10/12 and unlock a few more skills.

Could always return to the fold in 25/26 and make a play for the Wallabies if he's braining it over there.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Obviously we don't want to lose anyone of value, but it may not be the worst for his game to go overseas for a few seasons, lead a Japanese side around the park at 10/12 and unlock a few more skills.

Could always return to the fold in 25/26 and make a play for the Wallabies if he's braining it over there.
Exactly, Jed Holloway has made this squad (for what it’s worth) after returning from OS. It’s not like the Stewart’s, Simone’s, Urus, et al are going to be kept in the dark about where they’ve got to improve.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
With Kerevi bolted on as the 12, what would be his roll in building a RWC squad?

Pasami will be his back up, with the sheer desperation back up pick of Foteki (because he plays a more ball running style, not because I rate him)

I like Stewart but I can't see him being selected, his core benefit is being very very solid

Rennie looks to want units with the potential to win those one on ones like Kiwi sides
FP's pretty much nailed it - Stewart is a very solid player who is arguably more valuable than Foketi, however Stewart's more rounded skillset of toughness/ ball-playing is already adequately provided by JOC (James O'Connor) or Hodge if absolutely needed (and let's hope it isn't).

For mine, the player with the most similar attributes is To'omua, and if he had been selected, then Stewart would have every right to be pissed.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Exactly, Jed Holloway has made this squad (for what it’s worth) after returning from OS. It’s not like the Stewart’s, Simone’s, Urus, et al are going to be kept in the dark about where they’ve got to improve.

I was actually baffled by Holloway's selection as well

A reasonable Super Rugby standard short lock, but he ain't a test lock and he ain't a test back rower - so what does he add to a test side?