• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2021

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Its not that stupid. If Paisami is the best 12 or 13 we have then you probably just pick the next best 12 or 13. Probably isnt, but could be Ikitau.

Hodge-esque thinking. Which is fine if it were needed. It isn't.
Anyway, it will be what it is.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Isnt that exactly how he ended up playing 12 in the first, in literally the last test we played.

Yeah, sure. There has been a whole season since. Paisami in WB terms was a no-name looking for his chance. At the start of the season, everyone decried the Reds use of Paisami and Petaia on the basis that we weren't doing the right thing by the WBs. Ikitau isn't Petaia by the way.

It is one thing when you are filling in for the 23, another entirely the you are (I think anyway) a starting XV.

To be fair, I'm not actually that concerned where he goes, it's more the fan selection that somehow think shifting him for a lessor player is acceptable. When we have options in the slot he is moved to.

Doesn't make sense to me anyway.

I'd be giving this a shot :-
10: JOC (James O'Connor); 12: Perese; 13: Paisami
before :-
10: JOC (James O'Connor) 12: Paisami; 13 Ikitau :-
but it should probably be, depending on how To'omua shapes up in training
10: JOC (James O'Connor); 12: To'omua; 13: Paisami
And I'd look to this before the first one:
10: JOC (James O'Connor); 12: Simone; 13 Paisami

I'd also be thinking about where Kerevi is in the run to RWC but only if 10 is looking to cut out passes through the game.

If Paisami is seen as the best 13, as I do obviously, then when you look for the most appropriate 12 it isn't Paisami he's already on the field. If you think Ikitau is the best 13 then selecting Paisami at 12 has some logic. That is not where I am.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As this season has progressed, I've become further convinced that while To'omua deserves a place in the wider squad, he should not be starting at 12............

IMO Paisami at 12 was a revelation, and he should continue playing there for both the Wobs and the Reds as much as possible to hone his skillset.......... and that frees up the 13 jersey for the likes of Ikitau, Perese or Petaia (if he gets back into form).

At flyhalf - JOC (James O'Connor) starting, with Lolesio coming off the bench and maybe one start against the French if it's all going our way.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I think Paisami can be the Wallabies 12 as well the guy is a weapon, but his kicking game still needs to improve further, otherwise it'll just shift added responsibility and pressure onto whoever the 5/8 is.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Paisami can be the Wallabies 12 as well the guy is a weapon, but his kicking game still needs to improve further, otherwise it'll just shift added responsibility and pressure onto whoever the 5/8 is.

I think he's shown some promising signs with his short kicking game, but yep - just gotta work on the long form.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
He is training regularly with Dave Alred which i think is starting to show in the game, and if can continue to work on kicking off both feet then he is going to be a real asset in that position.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Am I missing something with the reluctance from certain posters to play Paisami at 12? He literally played multiple tests in the position last year (and played well) including wins against the All Blacks.

The notion of a 12. Paisami and 13. Ikitau/ Petaia is no more outlandish than a 12. Too'mua and 13. Paisami option. He may have some weaknesses in his kicking but that shouldn't be insurmountable with a good kicker at 15.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Do the Wallabies have a good kicker at 15? I think Banks is adequate and he has a long boot when going for touch, but in general play he isn't a very good kicker by test standards

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He is a complete goof and does something mental every match, but Maddocks is by far the best distributing and kicking fullback we have.

I'd like to see him given a crack at the jersey in at least one game this year. Maybe in a team that isn't godfuckingawful he will rise to the standard.

Watching those two games last Friday, i thought that Maddocks could have changed the entire dynamic of the Reds/Highlanders match if he was at 15 instead of Hegarty.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Do the Wallabies have a good kicker at 15? I think Banks is adequate and he has a long boot when going for touch, but in general play he isn't a very good kicker by test standards

Maddocks has by far the best boot at 15. Hodge is good for distance, but very slow, which makes clearances harder.

[Edit] Harrison or Donaldson might also be options as kicking 15's, but you'd want to see them play a few more games there.

Another player with an underrated boot is Petaia. He's launched some absolute cannons this season, but probably hasn't been in position to kick enough to show it off.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
He is a complete goof and does something mental every match, but Maddocks is by far the best distributing and kicking fullback we have.

I'd like to see him given a crack at the jersey in at least one game this year. Maybe in a team that isn't godfuckingawful he will rise to the standard.

Excellent running game too. Its a shame he's so mentally fragile because if he was more consistent he would be one of the best all round 15's Aus has had in a long time.

I also wonder how much of that is up to him though vs being on the back of a constantly under pressure Tahs team.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Am I missing something with the reluctance from certain posters to play Paisami at 12? He literally played multiple tests in the position last year (and played well) including wins against the All Blacks.

The notion of a 12. Paisami and 13. Ikitau/ Petaia is no more outlandish than a 12. Too'mua and 13. Paisami option. He may have some weaknesses in his kicking but that shouldn't be insurmountable with a good kicker at 15.
When the Reds played him at 12 he often struggled with his passing when the attack went left to right. Personally I’m not really concerned with his kicking at all.

People are comparing him to Nonu. It is worth noting Nonu spent considerable time as a winger, then as a 13 before he was ever played consistently at 12. He is also remembered as an outstanding 12 because those skills were refined. He wouldn’t be remembered that way if he didn’t evolve.

All that said, I agree with your last point. This is really a discussion over whether To'omua/Paisami is better than Paisami/Ikitau (or Petaia). I don’t think it’s a black and white issue and I’m personally happy to let the selectors make that call. I think both formats are likely to get a run. Ikitau looks like he will be very handy. I’m not ready to give up on Petaia yet either but until he is fit it is a non-issue.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I guess the key takeaway is some of these sections can’t be examined in isolation, especially in the 10-12-15 positions

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
I think the Brumbies 2021 midfield hasn't received enough attention. I reckon Simone has improved a lot this year & looks the goods for international rugby.

I would even be tempted to try a O'Connor, Simone, Paisami midfield for the Wallabies, would settle for O'Connor, To'omua, Paisami, with Simone on the bench.

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
At the risk of flogging a dead horse - what do you do when the captain wears no 7 and he's not the best captain nor the best 7?
If you're Brad Thorn you show quite some resolve and put him on the bench. That won the title for the Reds IMHO. It would appear that Dave Rennie is not quite up to the task of hard decisions :(

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
At the risk of flogging a dead horse - what do you do when the captain wears no 7 and he's not the best captain nor the best 7?
If you're Brad Thorn you show quite some resolve and put him on the bench. That won the title for the Reds IMHO. It would appear that Dave Rennie is not quite up to the task of hard decisions :(

tenor.gif