• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2021

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
I’m keen to see more of Anstee, but I think it’s easier to assess an outside back early in their career then it is a forward, a backrower is a much more technical position compared to wing. Their set piece, ruck and maul work are more important then scoring a 40m try.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How many games has Vunivalu started?

For what it is worth, I think it is very premature talking about Anstee as a Wallaby. Just pointing out some people might have double standards.

Let me start by saying I am a huge fan of Anstee and am really excited about his development. The opportunity he has been given is a real positive of the Force. But he played one cracking game and then has been out of the starting side since. So to suggest he's a Wallaby candidate, it one of the toughest positions in the team, is perhaps a tad early.

Vunivalu is a professional winger playing wing, who has started twice now and the spot his his. Still early days for him, but much easier to make a case for Wallaby selection.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I’m keen to see more of Anstee, but I think it’s easier to assess an outside back early in their career then it is a forward, a backrower is a much more technical position compared to wing. Their set piece, ruck and maul work are more important then scoring a 40m try.

Anstee is a long way from making the next level (other than in Sevens, of course). The first thing he would need to do is to work on his physique, change shape from being a Sevens player to being a Fifteens player.

Reactions: dru

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's an interesting point, but I don't think it's a double standard. It is an interesting comparison though.

I think the bar is much lower for a winger than a position like blindside. Realistically test wingers can get by (and indeed excel) with only a couple of key skills - catch, run, tackle. Anything on top of that is nice but not essential.

So Vunivalu has a much lower bar to clear than Anstee, who needs to demonstrate the much wider range of skills that we require from our 6.

From the evidence of the weekend, Vunivalu can actually pass so he's ahead of the game!

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
It's an interesting point, but I don't think it's a double standard. It is an interesting comparison though.

I think the bar is much lower for a winger than a position like blindside. Realistically test wingers can get by (and indeed excel) with only a couple of key skills - catch, run, tackle. Anything on top of that is nice but not essential.

So Vunivalu has a much lower bar to clear than Anstee, who needs to demonstrate the much wider range of skills that we require from our 6.

From the evidence of the weekend, Vunivalu can actually pass so he's ahead of the game!

That catch fend pass, of a ball that wasnt meant for him, just shows talent. Like his big, his quick his skillful... The guys going to be a problem for any team... like he was in league.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
That catch fend pass, of a ball that wasnt meant for him, just shows talent. Like his big, his quick his skillful. The guys going to be a problem for any team. like he was in league.

Suli is definately an incredible athlete, but teams with better coaching structures like the Brumbies and those at test level will be able to negate his strengths to an extent but more importantly expose his positional awareness in particular in D. He looks like he could become anything, and his improvement over just 2 games is remarkable but surely he needs a season or 2 to learn the game.

There is every likelyhood that he will be capped this international season though.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Suli is definately an incredible athlete, but teams with better coaching structures like the Brumbies and those at test level will be able to negate his strengths to an extent but more importantly expose his positional awareness in particular in D. He looks like he could become anything, and his improvement over just 2 games is remarkable but surely he needs a season or 2 to learn the game.

There is every likelyhood that he will be capped this international season though.

Agreed. and Murihead took him to the cleaners on just what to do in rugby.. Samu as welll... they worked him over, but all learning he will be the next star..

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agreed. and Murihead took him to the cleaners on just what to do in rugby.. Samu as welll. they worked him over, but all learning he will be the next star..

I really like Muirhead, he would be a walk up start in any team except the Brumbies or Reds.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agreed. and Murihead took him to the cleaners on just what to do in rugby.. Samu as welll. they worked him over, but all learning he will be the next star..

gulp

InkedMuirhead_LI.jpg

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Samu, to me, is a bench option at best at test level and only then as a unit who can cover solidly the whole backrow instead of someone picked to add punch

I don't get excited about a 6/8 scoring tries on the edges (it is like picking props because they run lots of yards or backs for their poaching) , I want to see a minimum of 2 (3 would be nice, 4 is world class) ....

I want to see the beating of defenders in heavy contact and providing quick, clean ball;
I want to see dominant tackles that set the attacker under pressure;
I want to see a lot of effective cleanouts in attack and defence;
I want to see quality competing at lineout, in the air and/or on the ground

I am looking forward to seeing what Uru can do this weekend when starting at 8. In the games he's been in the second row, he's played like an extra 6/8 as well as doing the grunt work in the scrum.

He's mobile and has a turn of speed; has bent the line in close and out wide; at 197cm tall and able to jump has been very good in the lineout; tackles like Ile Tabua; and works hard at the breakdown (I think he's been credited with 1 or 2 turnovers as well as doing cleanouts.). So he should keep people like Fatprop and me very happy.

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Besides the 2 Brumbies which fell over in the initial play, who else was there to chase besides Valetini?

Mcreight and Wilson started from same spot or behind Valetini, however chased through which created the 4 v 3 overlap. I mention them because they’re also backrower and it’s a fair comparison, the only other brumbies players there were locks and props.

Disagree if you like, however I think a backrower should be chasing there, and believe it’s lazy not too.

I hate it too because with an extra meter of effort, they may find themselves in a position to do something should there be a tackle and breakdown. no effort = no chance.

I've seen Stander and Wilson all play similarly to what Valetini did. When a break is made against them, they generally just trundle back (although Stander did sprint back before missing the tackle for Paisami's first try on Saturday.) In attack though, they can find another gear.

Liam Wright is an exception but he's a freak. ASY (Angus Scott-Young) also makes an effort to scramble in defence but i think he grew up having to tackle his dad so I think he can run through any pain. (I'm not saying either are Wallaby selections - just that they scramble more than others.) I haven't seen enough of Harris and Sinclair but they should get plenty of chances to scramble on Saturday.

For mine; Samu, Valetini (despite the above) and ASY (Angus Scott-Young) have been the best performed 6/8's so far. With a "wait and see"on Uru and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Maybe because he wasn't even in a position to miss the tackles, bit misleading those stats.

I agree that missed tackle stats can at times be misleading e.g a gallant chase and a dive at the ankles on the line is the same statistically as the Catt one on Lomu, but in this instance we have 7 misses from 13 attempts and 0 from 9 from their opposites. Overall that’s the opposite of misleading.

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
I agree that missed tackle stats can at times be misleading e.g a gallant chase and a dive at the ankles on the line is the same statistically as the Catt one on Lomu, but in this instance we have 7 misses from 13 attempts and 0 from 9 from their opposites. Overall that’s the opposite of misleading.

I am not disputing the stats themselves infact they are reassuring in the fact that Suli completed every tackle with success. What they don't do is show his defensive positioning which had him come in off his wing leaving his flank open.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Brumbies must have won that game by a lot through many backline tries given how poor Vunivalu was in defence from these reports.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
By and large the observations have been fair, I think. Overall Vunivalu was good, but he did jam in twice when he shouldn’t have and both ended up being tries.

The claim of Muirhead taking him to the cleaners was a bit of hubris - but whatever.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So squad of 40 being chosen for wallaby camp this weekend. Let’s see if I can name 40.
From row: sio, aaa, slipper, bell, tupou, pone F, faingai, bpa, mafi (9)
Locks: LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), hosea, Neville, uru, FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner)(5)
Backrow: mcreight, hardwick, valetini. Swindon,Wilson, Samu, anstee (7)
Halves: white, Tate, Gordon, JOC (James O'Connor), Noah, harrison (6)
Centres: To’omua, Paisami, Jordy, ikatau, simone (5)
Wings/fb: Koriobete, vunivalu, hodge, dagunu, banks, Wright, Campbell, muirhead (8)

There you go quick Stab at 40 players - will come back and see how close lol