• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2021

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Anyone watching close enough to see if Valetini has added lineout work to his game yet? Otherwise i dont see how he expects to become a test 6.

My ideal backrow is McReight, Wilson and Valetini - but thats very short at lineout time.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I've always felt Uru is more a 6/8 than a lock, similar to LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but due to our low locking stocks they've been pushed up into the second row.

At this point I'd easily have Uru in my Wallabies 23, he's a fantastic sub being able to play 4/5/6/8, but I'd have someone else starting at 6 before him. Maybe Wright (once he's playing), or Samu (although he doesn't fit Rennie). I would like to see Dempsey & Swinton step up because they've got the potential to really play test rugby at 6, but it'll be hard to pick them if they don't start dragging their team by the scruff of the neck. Uru has a good season and keeps playing at the level he's at then I could see him potentially starting at 6 for the Wallabies, but not just yet.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Anyone watching close enough to see if Valetini has added lineout work to his game yet? Otherwise i dont see how he expects to become a test 6.

My ideal backrow is McReight, Wilson and Valetini - but thats very short at lineout time.
Yes, he has been used as a target. Sparingly - but that is fair enough when Neville & Swain are doing well as primary targets, but the times I’ve seen him used he’s been fine in the air.

He mainly seems to get used at the back for the Brumbies, which I think is fair enough as I imagine he’s also very handy as a primary lifter.

Edit : he was used largely at 2 for Australia A and was reasonable there. He is not exactly spring heeled, but he gets up okay.

I also think his accuracy at the breakdown had improved.

I’m yet to be convinced on his work rate - I feel he still has some work to do there - but I thought on balance he was the best 6 in the first two rounds and has come along since last year.

Certainly the raw materials are there and you’d imagine Fisher would be working hard on his productivity.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I've always felt Uru is more a 6/8 than a lock, similar to LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) but due to our low locking stocks they've been pushed up into the second row.

At this point I'd easily have Uru in my Wallabies 23, he's a fantastic sub being able to play 4/5/6/8, but I'd have someone else starting at 6 before him. Maybe Wright (once he's playing), or Samu (although he doesn't fit Rennie). I would like to see Dempsey & Swinton step up because they've got the potential to really play test rugby at 6, but it'll be hard to pick them if they don't start dragging their team by the scruff of the neck. Uru has a good season and keeps playing at the level he's at then I could see him potentially starting at 6 for the Wallabies, but not just yet.

Never change

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry - I know I first metioned his name, but while Uru has been good he’s played a total of 2 Super Rugby games. Let’s wait until the whips are cracking.

There is a decent chance Uru won’t even be in the starting for Qld when LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) comes back.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
His workrate was huge last night.
Not always. He is often sluggish into position. But then there are other times when he busts his arse.

I don’t want to seem like I’m against him - he probably has most upside of all the 6 candidates. But if Rennie wants more workrate out of Wilson & Tupou then I expect it’s reasonable to assume he wants more out of Valetini.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Obviously we've gotta judge on what we've seen, but I'd have Uru ahead of Valetini at this point of the season. Also I think Uru played a few (two) off the bench for the Reds last year. :D

But as I mentioned, I'd likely have some of those others ahead of both of them.

Interesting to compare stats of Uru and Valetini (I just looked at the Rebs & Waratahs games as both teams have played both)
Rob making more tackles 11 a game, and Uru is missing more, but Uru is running more with 10 to 8 a game, and making more meters 18 to 30 (2.5 vs 3 meters per run), as well as Uru leading the other attacking stats like offloads defenders beaten, and clean breaks. I'd say they are pretty neck and neck all up.

Having said all of that I'm not sure why Rennie doesn't like Samu (who I've not really looked at this season).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Obviously we've gotta judge on what we've seen, but I'd have Uru ahead of Valetini at this point of the season. Also I think Uru played a few (two) off the bench for the Reds last year. :D

But as I mentioned, I'd likely have some of those others ahead of both of them.

Interesting to compare stats of Uru and Valetini (I just looked at the Rebs & Waratahs games as both teams have played both)
Rob making more tackles 11 a game, and Uru is missing more, but Uru is running more with 10 to 8 a game, and making more meters 18 to 30 (2.5 vs 3 meters per run), as well as Uru leading the other attacking stats like offloads defenders beaten, and clean breaks. I'd say they are pretty neck and neck all up.

Having said all of that I'm not sure why Rennie doesn't like Samu (who I've not really looked at this season).
I really liked how Stan sports crew (Ferguson and cheuka broke down different plays from Valetini which made me more appreciate what he offers as a player. In fact I should try to spend more time listening to their analyst commentary of players plays as quite insightful but unfortunately always time poor watching replays and mainly having to skip through this

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
I actually thought Valetini was quiet in a game where he should've been in the thick of it. Couple of no-namers in Hardwick, Kemney and Wells up against two Wallabies and I thought the Rebels looked the better for it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I actually thought Valetini was quiet in a game where he should've been in the thick of it. Couple of no-namers in Hardwick, Kemney and Wells up against two Wallabies and I thought the Rebels looked the better for it.
Really? i thought Valetini's defensive efforts kept them in it. Multiple times the Rebels were making ad line and then Valetini stepped in with a huge tackle driving the ball carrier back behind the point of contact stopping the Rebels momentum dead.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Hardwick is a Wallaby

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hardwick is a great player. Nuggety.

You can forgive someone for not getting more caps when he had Pocock and Hooper ahead of him for a fair whack and then was injured and out of form last year. McReight will be amazing at test level in years to come, but if I picked a team tomorrow to play a test against a Tier 1 nation, I'd probably select Hardwick ahead of McReight for the physicality.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Not a massive fan of Hardwick, his two late penalties against the Brumbies cost them the game, one was 50/50 but one was just stupid. I also think he will continue to be penalised at the ruck with the way he bridges over the ball on the ground, he isn’t supporting his own weight, based on the law interpretations released last year his technique should be penalised.

His penalty rate comes with the territory though I suppose, he has played a key role in disrupting the opposition ball in the last two week.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think the question has been asked before, but is Uru qualified for national selection? I believe he has represented Fiji at Under 20s?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think the question has been asked before, but is Uru qualified for national selection? I believe he has represented Fiji at Under 20s?
Fiji U20s wouldn't come into it. When and how long he's been a resident would.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Depends if Uru was in Australia prior to the law changing, and whether he has left for any period long enough to be considered a break in residency in that period