• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Show-n-go

I think McDermott could surpass Powell by seasons end anyway, reluctance by Cheika go blood a new player on a World Cup year will be the issue though

I agree

I guess there’s also the outside chance that Cheika only takes two halfbacks like last World Cup, because let’s be real whoever the second is, will play against Georgia and Uruguay then ride the pine for the remainder of the tournament

I think if they take 3 McDermott could likely be third but if there’s only two they’ll go with one of the safer options

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think McDermott could surpass Powell by seasons end anyway, reluctance by Cheika go blood a new player on a World Cup year will be the issue though
And rightly so, IMO.
I agree

I guess there’s also the outside chance that Cheika only takes two halfbacks like last World Cup, because let’s be real whoever the second is, will play against Georgia and Uruguay then ride the pine for the remainder of the tournament

I think if they take 3 McDermott could likely be third but if there’s only two they’ll go with one of the safer options
He needs to use Genia better. There were a few matches last year where he was forced to play despite being completely gassed.

S

Show-n-go

And rightly so, IMO.

He needs to use Genia better. There were a few matches last year where he was forced to play despite being completely gassed.

Very true, although the gulf in talent hasn’t helped. If McDermott continues his current trajectory I think the can be that “finisher” who adds to a game from the bench rather than the injury replacement

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I agree

Not likely as the only likely contingency plan halfback would be foley. At least giteau was covered by Beale and To'omua. It will be Genia and Phipps, and one of Gordon, Powell or white ( if he’s eligible)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The reason for only taking two hookers and halbacks last RWC was due to the nature of the draw, which led to Cheika essentially selecting 2 x XV's for the tight turnaround between the first three matches..........

The draw for Japan is a bit more manageable, so I believe we'll definitely see a third hooker, and possibly a third halfback.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Powell isn't showing enough to justify his 3 caps giving him an edge over McDermott IMO, Powell is 25 and has had consistent starting time behind a good Super Rugby forward pack and still hasn't been able to take his game to the next level..

S

Show-n-go

Not likely as the only likely contingency plan halfback would be foley. At least giteau was covered by Beale and To'omua. It will be Genia and Phipps, and one of Gordon, Powell or white ( if he’s eligible)

Like I said outside chance but I guess having foley as third string halfback isn’t much more crazy than having gits as one, or if the second string gets injured just send them home and call for a replacement, I don’t think there’s a massive difference between all the other contenders

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Like I said outside chance but I guess having foley as third string halfback isn’t much more crazy than having gits as one, or if the second string gets injured just send them home and call for a replacement, I don’t think there’s a massive difference between all the other contenders

Giteau had played several tests at halfback though.........

And there are strict rules for injury replacements, so the injured player cannot return to the competition once replaced, and the replacement cannot take the field for 48 hours after it's been signed off on.

S

Show-n-go

Giteau had played several tests at halfback though...

And there are strict rules for injury replacements, so the injured player cannot return to the competition once replaced, and the replacement cannot take the field for 48 hours after it's been signed off on.

Foley had pretty much the same amount of experience that gits did when he got thrown into a test at 9.....pretty much zero but anyway pretty moot point Like I said it’s an outside option as in “very unlikely to happen”

And yes cheers knew that all already, hence why I said send one home and bring another one over. And all you gotta do is make a call 48 hrs in advance of a game, which isn’t too hard.....

But all unlikely given they’ll probably take 3 halfbacks

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The issue is if one of the two halfback pulls a hammy or something less than 48 ours out from a game. You've then got to grit your teeth and hope the lone surviving one gets through 80 minutes. Obviously it's more crucial for the big games, hence why they took the punt on Sio being the third string hooker for the first few games last time and hoped for an injury to bring a proper one over. Which did happen, I think it was a second rower?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Foley had pretty much the same amount of experience that gits did when he got thrown into a test at 9

But we're discussing RWC squads.........

Giteau played several test matches at halfback, so had adequate experience in the position in case of having to act as emergency cover last RWC.

Foley has zero experience.

And yes cheers knew that all already, hence why I said send one home and bring another one over. And all you gotta do is make a call 48 hrs in advance of a game, which isn’t too hard...

If the injury is to your first choice player, or it's a minor injury that will only rule the player out for a match or two, then it becomes a lot more complicated.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The issue is if one of the two halfback pulls a hammy or something less than 48 ours out from a game. You've then got to grit your teeth and hope the lone surviving one gets through 80 minutes. Obviously it's more crucial for the big games, hence why they took the punt on Sio being the third string hooker for the first few games last time and hoped for an injury to bring a proper one over. Which did happen, I think it was a second rower?

Cheika's gamble paid off last time with unfortunate injuries to Skelton and Palu following the Uruguay match, which meant they were able to bring in a third hooker in Hanson, as well as Sam Carter for the remainer of the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.