• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Show-n-go

Nic White is 28 now and coming into his prime, his always had an incredible pass, running game and a massive boot. The stuff he was putting out before he left probably had him only behind Genia, so coming back as a more complete player in his prime, he would deserve his shot.

Can he kick accurately now and no longer kick just for the sake of it? Haven’t seen him play overseas

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Can he kick accurately now and no longer kick just for the sake of it? Haven’t seen him play overseas
Ive seen him play a bit for Exeter they play a pretty free flowing attacking game, and he plays alot more running passing game then before it's alot more balanced.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's been discussed many times, the Nic White that people choose to remember is not the player he was, and he is an even more well rounded player now. Even his weakest attribute, his running game, is now good-at-worst.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Nic was roundly condemned for missing touch with usually one kick per game. By the same measure, Foley should also be targeted for criticism. He misses at least as many as Nic used to, and with only half the distance gained. Many fans, other than Brumbies ones, had almost a pathological dislike for Nic.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nic was roundly condemned for missing touch with usually one kick per game. By the same measure, Foley should also be targeted for criticism. He misses at least as many as Nic used to, and with only half the distance gained. Many fans, other than Brumbies ones, had almost a pathological dislike for Nic.
giphy.gif

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's been discussed many times, the Nic White that people choose to remember is not the player he was, and he is an even more well rounded player now. Even his weakest attribute, his running game, is now good-at-worst.
I have seen him play 3-4 games and he has been excellent in every one. The young QLD half has great potential but might be a little under cooked for this year. Having Nic Whites experience and composure, not to mention his kicking game, will be another cog in the wheel for the Wallabies. He can start or finish games and will take some pressure off Will Genia.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
A few observations from the Rebels/Tahs:

- Naisirani would have to be short odds to take the #8 jersey. I've said it in the past, but he really is Cliff Palu 2.0. He doesn't necessarily steamroll over defenders, but he just works and works and works. The effort he was putting into his work in the last 5 minutes of the game was just outstanding.

- Beale is coming into form. He was assured at the back for the Tahs, taking high balls, returning kicks and injecting himself into the line when it's needed. You get the sense he has a few more strings to his bow than DHP, who looks OK but didn't have a great game.

- Koroibete is tightening his hold on the wing spot. He's in great form.

- Matt To'omua has to feature in our squad, on defence alone.

- Adam Coleman might be finding some form. Hope it continues. Had that abrasive edge in defence, which was great to see.

- Harry Johnson-Holmes will play plenty of games for the Wallabies, maybe not this year though.

S

Show-n-go

well no, thats just your opinion

my opinion was he was pretty shit, i hope he has improved

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Look, you can shit talk a good player if you want. You can be the guy who cheered the loss of Gill, Barnes, Fardy, etc. They don't just go away and magically become better by drinking special NH juice. They were always capable of the magic they produce, and a lot of player development is the mental game that comes as palyers age.

Some have it so well developed in the early 20s that you know they'll be special, and some manage to connect that with physical and technical ability at a similar age. Nic White is one of those players. He didn't breathe the free air of France and Cornwall and go "by golly, I guess I don't have to be shit!". From 2012 onwards, he was a Super level scrumhalf. From 2014 onwards, he was a test level scrumhalf. As it stands, the only SH scrumhalf I would pick over him is Brad Weber, and even that depends on Weber not suffering yet another injury.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Look, you can shit talk a good player if you want. You can be the guy who cheered the loss of Gill, Barnes, Fardy, etc. They don't just go away and magically become better by drinking special NH juice. They were always capable of the magic they produce, and a lot of player development is the mental game that comes as palyers age.

Some have it so well developed in the early 20s that you know they'll be special, and some manage to connect that with physical and technical ability at a similar age. Nic White is one of those players. He didn't breathe the free air of France and Cornwall and go "by golly, I guess I don't have to be shit!". From 2012 onwards, he was a Super level scrumhalf. From 2014 onwards, he was a test level scrumhalf. As it stands, the only SH scrumhalf I would pick over him is Brad Weber, and even that depends on Weber not suffering yet another injury.
It's pretty hard to go past TJP and A Smith.

S

Show-n-go

There were a whole lotta words put in my mouth just then that I don’t remember saying......

You’re taking this awefully to heart, I’m sorry to have offended you by having a different opinion to a player you obviously care very deeply about

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's pretty hard to go past TJP and A Smith.

I agree, and yet I stand by it. I know it's not like people can just go and watch every game White has played in for the last three seasons, but I seriously believe he's ahead of them. He wasn't when he left, I'll grant that, but he was still bloody good then.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Nic White was excellent for Exeter -v- Sarries in Saturday's final. Kept the Chiefs on the front foot - difficult against Sarries at the best of times - with astute decision making. Sniping runs, astute kicking, he countered Sarries' blitz (read frequently offside) defence. Sadly for the Chiefs, his enforced replacement late in the game cost them dearly. His replacement just hoofed away possession, straight down Sarries throats, their win became inevitable.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nic White was excellent for Exeter -v- Sarries in Saturday's final. Kept the Chiefs on the front foot - difficult against Sarries at the best of times - with astute decision making. Sniping runs, astute kicking, he countered Sarries' blitz (read frequently offside) defence. Sadly for the Chiefs, his enforced replacement late in the game cost them dearly. His replacement just hoofed away possession, straight down Sarries throats, their win became inevitable.
giphy.gif

It's hard enough getting around defences without them being 5 metres offside at every muthafuckin ruck. P'raps those leagies are on to something.

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
To be honest I thought that the Tahs handled Naisarani quite easily on the weekend. Wells and Swinton outplayed him.

They chop tackled him with ease (Wells put a great shot on him off a lineout early in the match).

I don't think he is going to be effective at test rugby. Will he help fix our lineout? What's more important the core roles of scrum and lineout or abrasive ball carries? The way a no.8 handles the ball at the back of the scrum is a very underrated skill (one of the reasons why the ABs don't pick Akira Ioane).

Watch Sam Cane and the Chiefs go to work on him in the last round.

Status
Not open for further replies.