• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wallabies 2019 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JeepsTragic

If JP Smith can old his own or better against the Jaguares on Sat night does he come into contention?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Did we ever work out Smith's eligibility?
Rupa article from March this year
http://www.rupa.com.au/rupa-news/story/rupa-big-read-from-boyhood-to-braais-meet-the-smith-twins
PF: Have you guys recently become eligible to play for Australia?

JP: That’s correct, we found out a couple of months ago. We thought we qualified at the end of this year, and with Michael Cheika already having his Wallabies squad fairly sorted we didn’t really think about it until our agent (Dallan Murphy) called us and said we’re eligible now.

S

Show-n-go

Watching tonight’s game I’m further convinced DHP is just too damn pedestrian to warrant selection in the wallabies team

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
DHP greedy most times and looked like trying hard to outshine KB (Kurtley Beale) but failed badly....hard to say but KB (Kurtley Beale) was the better 15 today

'Tattsy'TaylorFan1

Ward Prentice (10)
Michael Wells has got to be one of the best tacklers in Super Rugby. Technically fantastic every time in defence and made some great contact defensively v the Rebels. Overall the Tahs defence was superior because their forwards are so good in that area. Most reliable option at 6 or 8 has to be Wells although his size will count against him and he's definitely not a Cheika favourite.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Michael Wells deserves plenty of credit for his consistency and his effectiveness. IMO he is a very handy super rugby player and does his job consistently in the Tahs game plan. Damien Fitzpatrick is much the same for mine.

Personally I don’t see either of them as Test players. Maybe that is unfair as they haven’t been given a chance, but I don’t see it.

Brumbies are leading the conference and both of their number 8s have been excellent. Personally I quite like the idea of Pete Samu being at 8.

The Rebels may be stuttering but I also think Nasirani is doing his chances no harm. If we are talking effectiveness & work rate it should be noted that he is a consistent ball carrier with good post contact meters. I haven’t checked the stats but he doesn’t appear to me to have any particular issues in ball handling, defence or discipline.

It is a fair stretch IMO to suggest that Wells is being overlooked because he is not a Cheika favourite against those 3. Good players are going to miss out, and not every successful Super Rugby player makes a good test player. That is just the way it is.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Watched the Saracens v Exeter Premiership final, spoilers if you plan on watching later.

Nic White, Will Skelton and Dave Dennis all featured. I understand that one game is not reflective of a season but it was pretty interesting.

Skelton was well contained and largely ineffectual. Carried rarely and made minimal metres. He was subbed at 47 minutes, with his last action being hammered in a good tackle by Nic White. Actually thought Dave Dennis, who was opposing Skelton at lock had the wood on him and had a better game.

I saw nothing from Skelton that suggests he should be selected before Arnold, Coleman or Rodda. Also think Simmons and Philip are better.

I never particularly rated Nic White, maybe because he's not the flashiest player, but I really do now. He was great, IMO close to best on ground. Really good at NH rugby, great kicks for field and some very clever box kicks. Will Genia really needs to have a chat with him. Also, Nic actually rucks unlike Willy G, something which infuriates me. Nic White got a turnover I think, Will will never stick his head in even if it means conceding the ball on your own line. If this game is representative of White's form, I'd have him starting in a WC over Genia.

Side note, Liam Williams will be an absolute menace for Australia now we're Folau-less. Also, Nowell and Slade seem to be in promising form for England.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
There seems to be a stigma or mentality that Australian players playing overseas are 20% better then they really are, maybe it’s because we’re only catching the highlight reels and missing their negative actions, or maybe it is that those competitions are of a lesser standard.

But I’m yet to see a player come back from Europe and maintain the same level of form they had over there, conversely there have been plenty of players whose ‘form’ has improved when they’ve moved to the northern hemisphere from Southern Hemisphere.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There seems to be a stigma or mentality that Australian players playing overseas are 20% better then they really are, maybe it’s because we’re only catching the highlight reels and missing their negative actions, or maybe it is that those competitions are of a lesser standard.

But I’m yet to see a player come back from Europe and maintain the same level of form they had over there, conversely there have been plenty of players whose ‘form’ has improved when they’ve moved to the northern hemisphere from Southern Hemisphere.
Yes and no. KB (Kurtley Beale) came back a much more well rounded player. He may have dropped off in certain areas since but initially his defence and decision making was very good.
Nic White is unquestionably playing his best rugby. Others have not always been great on their return. That may say more about the domestic structure rather than them as a player. By that I mean that coaches in Australia ask players to play a certain way rather than design a game plan around the players that they have available.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes and no. KB (Kurtley Beale) came back a much more well rounded player. He may have dropped off in certain areas since but initially his defence and decision making was very good.
Yep, KB (Kurtley Beale) came back with a solid defensive game and promptly lost it.

One continent has professional coaching pathways and the other expects fluffybunnys to volunteer.

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
Players will naturally improve with experience, thats not the subject of discussion.

Rather the observation that these players are playing in Europe, many of them look like world beaters but are brought back down a rung when they return to Australia.

Thats why I don't agree with this mentality that we should parachute in players from Europe because they're "killing" it in whatever league they're playing at the time.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Players will naturally improve with experience, thats not the subject of discussion.

Rather the observation that these players are playing in Europe, many of them look like world beaters but are brought back down a rung when they return to Australia.

Thats why I don't agree with this mentality that we should parachute in players from Europe because they're "killing" it in whatever league they're playing at the time.

Nic White is 28 now and coming into his prime, his always had an incredible pass, running game and a massive boot. The stuff he was putting out before he left probably had him only behind Genia, so coming back as a more complete player in his prime, he would deserve his shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.