• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Wales v Wallabies, Cardiff, Nov 30 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why is there suddenly so much concern about Lilo's ankle? He has been playing on it all season and people are suddenly speculating about it after 1 off game in a position he has never played.

He missed the last Bledisloe Test with the ankle injury and then there was talk that he'd go on the EOYT but be unavailable for the first game or so and possibly require ankle surgery afterwards before Super Rugby 2014.

I think following some fairly anonymous contributions off the bench and then a poor game against Scotland (albeit out of position) with poor goalkicking, the speculation that his injury is worse than reported has ramped up.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Fair enough, the back subs have failed generally to make an impact and Lilo has had very little time. I am backing him to step it up this week if selected at 12.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Fair enough, the back subs have failed generally to make an impact and Lilo has had very little time. I am backing him to step it up this week if selected at 12.

He was the incumbent No12 until To'omua got his chance there & made it his own. I think Christian Leali'ifano will give it everything if he gets the chance, in an endeavour to prove he should be the real deal for No12.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Link seems to have introduced competition for starting places in many positions, despite Team Rehab Selectors pinching many of his players from time to time.

It was probably the same under Dingo, but you just got the feeling that certain players seemed to play as if they had the mortgage title documentation for their starting position, rather than having some young buck champing at the bit to steal their place. Is complacency the word I may be looking for?

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I just hope that the Boyos didn't watch how the Paddies were able to nearly steal the match from the Darkness. One week is a long time in International Rugby and previous form and reputation counts for nothing, when you are staring down the barrel of a hiding to nothing.

My fear is that the Boyos come out firing as they did against the Soap Dodgers in the last round of the 6N earlier this year. If they do that, inspired by the performance out up by the "disorganised rabble" that was the Irish, then the Men in Gold are in for a very tough day at the office.

The Optimism Gnome works his magic in many funny and warped ways.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can only be used on the extremities on attack. He can come inside on defence for some inside channel work to take on the big centres and Faletau, but he must retreat to the end of the line on attack, where his propensity to go into contact will be seen as more of an asset than in the #13 channel where there is often open men outside him.
My god huw, you sound like yewer welsh. If I were Mckenzie I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should play. This game is going to depend on making half breaks and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has always managed to do that against us

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the injuries will be a bridge too far for Wales.

I thought they looked very dangerous in the first 10-15 minutes against South Africa a couple of weeks ago mostly on the back of some great attacking by Jonathan Davies. Without him, I really think their backline lacks penetration and they'll struggle.

They looked hapless against Tonga but that doesn't mean much. They're not the only team with a habit of dropping their form to match their opponent.

Without Adam Jones their scrum should be well below its best and we should hopefully get an advantage there as well.

Unless the Wallabies fall apart I think we'll win this one.
Not sure what the news is re Adam. He was sitting in stand cringing at the tonga game. My bet is cement will pick him. Problems in centres really only if one gets injured. We've got Williams and Williams plus beck. Shame we haven't got ook as cover for Saturday or charteris. Me no understand why we are playing this game outside the international window.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Really?
My impression of this tour was that he played the same old faces every week,and did not really look past the incumbents.

Yes, he's really only made changes as a result of injury or suspension. This seems to have largely worked, however. For example, Slipper and Horwill have both come good (persistence) and Kepu has been better than Alexander (injury).

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not that I want to start moaning already or anything but who's the ref? Please god let it not be clancey or barnes

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just had a thought that solves the centres shortage and gives us a containment strategy. Play tipuric at 13. Thought of suggesting north to centre but he seems to have lost the ability to pass

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Wales team named. Certainly not as dire as predicted due to injury.

Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Owen Williams (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), George North (Northampton Saints), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Unattached), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, CAPT), Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Not a bad team selection by Wales, glad to see Cuthbert is fit although I'd have thought Aus will target his lack of match fitness (as well as his naivety in defence).
Don't think Lydiate is in great form at the moment and I'd have gone with Tipuric & moved Warburton to 6. Without Adam Jones we've also lost any scrum advantage we may have had, Rhodri Jones is a big lump but young & very inexperienced.
Should be a good contest though, yet another nail-biting close game I'd imagine !

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Well, according to that ACT journo at least..this is Link's actual quote in the article:

''I'm not going to judge him on one game but we will work out our team first then work out our goalkicker.''

Jim Morton is not an "ACT journo", but a Brisbane based AAP writer..........

And that quote was in direct reference to his goal kicking performance.........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Playing Lilo and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres would be the obvious choice.........

It's not like Link has any other genuine options..........

Status
Not open for further replies.