• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Un-Australian Activities 2018

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yep realised that BH, Joseph back in NZ getting back problem sorted. these two certainly making a mark as a coaching team though aren't they?

Yeah, loving watching the Sunwolves play. The game on Saturday night was a cracker. I'd also backed the Sunwolves so was pretty happy with the result.

Hayden Parker was been superb this season. His goal kicking is particularly great.

They're really willing to throw the ball around and play uptempo at all costs (even after taking a quick lineout from their own 5m line and literally handing a try to the opposition).

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep realised that BH, Joseph back in NZ getting back problem sorted. these two certainly making a mark as a coaching team though aren't they?

You have think they would have a crack at the ABs in the future. Established coaching team. Super rugby title and international experience. I could think of worse combos.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
When Sunwolves were first put up for admission to the SA Conference SARU had an issue with their teams traveling to Tokyo. JRU then offered to take home matches v SA teams to Singapore. Abracadabra, SARU issue taken care of, welcome aboard Sunwolves.
Re: Michael Little not having a Super Rugby gig with a NZ side I'm pretty sure it's due to him getting injured at a bad time in terms of the recruitment cycle.

Thanks for the info, but that's sad. Without winning a single game the Sunwolves had some pretty good crowds in Japan averaging 12K, and one week even had the biggest crowd of the round. Then they played in Mong Kok in front of 4.5K and now Singapore in front of about 4K.

Given they have won 3 'home' games in a row, they might have got 20K+ in Japan, but sadly only have away games left.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Thanks for the info, but that's sad. Without winning a single game the Sunwolves had some pretty good crowds in Japan averaging 12K, and one week even had the biggest crowd of the round. Then they played in Mong Kok in front of 4.5K and now Singapore in front of about 4K.

Given they have won 3 'home' games in a row, they might have got 20K+ in Japan, but sadly only have away games left.
Well, that's what you get when you play a competition across the southern and part of the northern hemisphere for fuck sake. Stupid shit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah, loving watching the Sunwolves play. The game on Saturday night was a cracker. I'd also backed the Sunwolves so was pretty happy with the result.

Hayden Parker was been superb this season. His goal kicking is particularly great.

They're really willing to throw the ball around and play uptempo at all costs (even after taking a quick lineout from their own 5m line and literally handing a try to the opposition).

That has Brown written all over it BH, generally teams he has a bit to do with don't die wondering, still have a chuckle a year or so ago when Sopoaga did the kick back over the head and said later it was a trick Brownie had taught him.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Un-Australian Activities - Week 18

Crusaders v Highlanders 17:35 Friday at Wyatt Crockett Stadium
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...eran-wyatt-crockett-earns-stadium-name-change
TLDR: it's his 200th Super Rugby match so they've re-named AMI for the week.

Hurricanes v Blues 17:35 Saturday

Bulls v Jaguares 23:05 Saturday

Stormers v Sharks 1:15 Sunday

Crusaders 9 points clear of Hurricanes in NZ Conference & have had their second Bye so just need to pick up a point to secure top seeding. After that it's messy, Chiefs & Highlanders both capable of overtaking the 'canes who've now lost three on the trot.

Lions have the Bye & will be watching what happens in Pretoria as they're only 3 ahead of the Jags who've now won seven straight which I think is more than they've won in either of their previous seasons.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
A win against the Bulls, who were abominable last week, takes the Jaguares (that name has such a lovely feeling to it, every time I pronounce it right it just feels good) to the top of the SA conference and into a nightmare situation for the Lions and for SARU. The Lions have only themselves to blame, but SARU dumped two! teams and would likely not have a home final in the first year thereafter. If it happens, I expect to hear major moaning about their plight from across the Indian Ocean and attempts to "rejig" the conference system.

The Bulls seem to have suffered the same plight as every other team that has employed Mitchell as head coach. Why team managements collectively seem to do this is a mystery.

Will the Crusaders "rest" more players just after a bye in a match where nothing really matters because they have top spot absolutely sewn up? Any Crusaders still having to rest because of the All Blacks two game compulsory rest?

Will Crockett retire before 65? 200 games is a phenomenonal achievement, even when he mostly comes off the bench these days!

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^ I'm expecting all CruSadist AB's to start but get pulled early in the 2nd half, similarly Read if he's in the 23 (heard a whisper he's not fully ready for Super Rugby just yet).

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
A win against the Bulls, who were abominable last week, takes the Jaguares (that name has such a lovely feeling to it, every time I pronounce it right it just feels good) to the top of the SA conference and into a nightmare situation for the Lions and for SARU. The Lions have only themselves to blame, but SARU dumped two! teams and would likely not have a home final in the first year thereafter. If it happens, I expect to hear major moaning about their plight from across the Indian Ocean and attempts to "rejig" the conference system.

The Bulls seem to have suffered the same plight as every other team that has employed Mitchell as head coach. Why team managements collectively seem to do this is a mystery.

Will the Crusaders "rest" more players just after a bye in a match where nothing really matters because they have top spot absolutely sewn up? Any Crusaders still having to rest because of the All Blacks two game compulsory rest?

Will Crockett retire before 65? 200 games is a phenomenonal achievement, even when he mostly comes off the bench these days!

Lions have the bulls at home next week, so Jags need to get b2b wins in South Africa. Can seem them beating the bulls, but not getting the points second week on the road and agaisnt the Sharks.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
From memory, Jags went undefeated in two matches in Aus before then winning in NZ for a three match streak on the road. Can't see why they would be unduly troubled by the Sharks in the second week in SA.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Read's back but there's no room for Dagg, Romano, Perry or Aussie Pete in Razor's 23 for Friday:

Crusaders: David Havili, Seta Tamanivalu, Jack Goodhue, Ryan Crotty, George Bridge, Richie Mo'unga, Bryn Hall, Kieran Read, Matt Todd, Heiden Bedwell-Curtis, Sam Whitelock (capt), Scott Barrett, Owen Franks, Andrew Makalio, Joe Moody. Reserves: Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Michael Ala'alatoa, Quinten Strange, Jordan Taufua, Mitchell Drummond, Mitchell Hunt, Manasa Mataele.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...to-empty-the-tank-for-the-crusaders-says-read

Highlanders meanwhile are sweating on Liam Squire so they've bracketed him with Elliot Dixon:

Highlanders: Ben Smith (co-captain), Waisake Naholo, Rob Thompson, Tei Walden, Richard Buckman, Lima Sopoaga, Aaron Smith, Luke Whitelock, James Lentjes, Elliot Dixon/Liam Squire, Tom Franklin, Jackson Hemopo, Siate Tokolahi, Liam Coltman, Daniel Lienert-Brown. Reserves: Ash Dixon, Aki Seiuli, Tyrel Lomax, Pari Pari Parkinson, Shannon Frizell, Kayne Hammington, Josh Ioane, Fletcher Smith.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...rd-liam-squire-every-chance-to-play-crusaders

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Taylor and Taufua getting mini-rests but the team is pretty strong. The Crusaders are not doing the Clan any favours.

Doubt if Aussie Pete will get another run this year unless lots of injuries hit the team.

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
The Blues team to play the Hurricanes is:
15 Matt Duffie, 14 Melani Nanai, 13 Michael Collins, 12 Rieko Ioane, 11 Caleb Clarke, 10 Stephen Perofeta, 9 Augustine Pulu (c) ; 8 Akira Ioane, 7 Blake Gibson, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Matiaha Martin, 4 Gerard Cowley-Tuioti, 3 Ofa Tuungafasi, 2 Matt Moulds, 1 Alex Hodgman
Reserves: 16 James Parsons, 17 Pauliasi Manu, 18 Sione Mafileo, 19 Ben Nee-Nee, 20 Murphy Taramai, 21 Sam Nock, 22 Bryn Gatland, 23 TJ Faiane

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Just realised, what's happened to Dalton Papali'i? Must be injured as I doubt it would be an issue of form?

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
If they can stay fit (huge if) Auckland will have a very tidy Mitre 10 Cup loosie trio - Blake Gibson, Dalton Papali'i and Akira Ioane.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Lots of changes for the 'canes:

Hurricanes: Jordie Barrett, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Wes Goosen, Ngani Laumape, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Blade Thomson, Sam Henwood, Brad Shields (c), Sam Lousi, Vaea Fifita, Ben May, Ricky Riccitelli, Toby Smith. Reserves: James O'Reilly, Fraser Armstrong, Jeff To'omaga-Allen, Michael Fatialofa, Gareth Evans, Jamie Booth, Ihaia West, Ben Lam.

JG-B goes from starting 10 to not even making the 23, musta had a shocker in Canberra.........

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Doubt if Aussie Pete will get another run this year unless lots of injuries hit the team.

Likewise Izzy D who's only played ~150 mins this year. Can't see him making the RC squad on the back of that & will need a big M10 Cup to make the EOYT, I'd think. Contracted through to RWC so will be interesting to see what happens if he continues to be on the outer AB-wise (that said, he's bounced back from injury & form issues so many times you wouldn't want to count him out just yet).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Hurricanes: Jordie Barrett, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Wes Goosen, Ngani Laumape, Julian Savea, Beauden Barrett, TJ Perenara, Blade Thomson, Sam Henwood, Brad Shields (c), Sam Lousi, Vaea Fifita, Ben May, Ricky Riccitelli, Toby Smith. Reserves: James O'Reilly, Fraser Armstrong, Jeff To'omaga-Allen, Michael Fatialofa, Gareth Evans, Jamie Booth, Ihaia West, Ben Lam.

JG-B goes from starting 10 to not even making the 23, musta had a shocker in Canberra...

Think the mid field looks better balanced with Goosen at 13 , and Jordie at 15. I not sure Jordie a 13, more a 12 if he in further. As for JG-B, I don't think they really see him as an impact player.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

JG-B goes from starting 10 to not even making the 23, musta had a shocker in Canberra...

I would have thought no worse than West. Must have been a toss of the coin to see who missed out this week.