• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

U18 Academy Games and Australia U18s

InsiderScoop

Ward Prentice (10)
Watching the Australian U18’s “trial” games in Canberra to pick a touring team to go to NZ next week. If I was NZ I wouldn’t be concerned as it is some of the worst rugby I have seen in a longtime. I cannot believe that the majority of these players are in academies…..
Completely agree. Embarrassing that Aussie schools are even winning at half time against the u18s.

Brian O’Driscoll

Chris McKivat (8)
Schools just won 12-7 Australia was abysmal. The academies need to have a good hard look at themselves especially the reds because the majority were embarrassing. Howard was good, Grenfell that would be it from the Reds. Again NSW will have the majority.

farrellybros

Frank Row (1)
I think
Schools just won 12-7 Australia was abysmal. The academies need to have a good hard look at themselves especially the reds because the majority were embarrassing. Howard was good, Grenfell that would be it from the Reds. Again NSW will have the majority.
My thoughts were that some (and only some) of the Aus 18's were good and clearly deserved to be there but there is a critical lack of depth in some positions (won;t mention which ones due to the fact it identifies certain boys but safe to say they are largely in key positions) and more than a handful of the Rugby AU 18's squad were not up to the task today. Perhaps to your point regarding Academies - some of the boys today looked like they had benefitted from that style pf program and did well - others including some of the headline names had a day they will not remember favourably.

Raytah

Chris McKivat (8)
Standouts for either?

- Heinz Lomoto looked class at 8
- Bassingthwaite looked good at 15
- Fittler got isolated a couple of times but was bending the line.
- Makasini looked a handful on the sting
- Liked the look og Rylands and Robinson in the backrow
- Fonua and Thompson looked solid in the row.
- Hill looked promising at THP. One of the Looseheads looked okay but didn't catch his name.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
First of all. Well done to Aus Schools. Great effort to get an underdog win and play with a chip on your shoulder.

It's somewhat good to read the names most thought would be good performers, perform at least. Grover, Fonua Makasini...

Lemoto is a handful every time I saw him play this year. Seems simplistic he was shoved at 12 for a couple of games for Scots when he's clearly an effective 8. Can't see league letting this guy go. He's the prototype metre eater for them.

@Raytah could the other Prop have been Goddard? Didn't see the game but I rate him highly as a prospect.

Game_Day_Ritual

Ward Prentice (10)
Watching the Australian U18’s “trial” games in Canberra to pick a touring team to go to NZ next week. If I was NZ I wouldn’t be concerned as it is some of the worst rugby I have seen in a longtime. I cannot believe that the majority of these players are in academ

I think

My thoughts were that some (and only some) of the Aus 18's were good and clearly deserved to be there but there is a critical lack of depth in some positions (won;t mention which ones due to the fact it identifies certain boys but safe to say they are largely in key positions) and more than a handful of the Rugby AU 18's squad were not up to the task today. Perhaps to your point regarding Academies - some of the boys today looked like they had benefitted from that style pf program and did well - others including some of the headline names had a day they will not remember favourably.
The system simply just isn't working in Oz.

1. We are now ranked 10th in the world was 9th.
2. 2024 Waratahs ran dead last.
3. We have an obsession with academies and would rather a kid not play club/school and attend an 1.5hr academy session.
4. The fast improvers have been the UK based teams over past 10-15 years. Reason why is the kids play like 20-25 games per season, whereby we play 10-12 tops. The system needs a complete overhall.