• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations squad named - NAMED ON PAGE 3 - GENIA IN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re: Tri Nations squad

absolutely. If he's fit, then bring him in for sure.

And I'm less concerned about bringing in a rookie (Mowen or Chapman) for the Tri-Nations. They play these guys every damn week in the S14. Sure the test footy is a step up, but they know the players. I don't think Robbie would think twice about it.

He debuted both Richard Brown and David Pocock off the bench last year, v the kiwis.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Newb said:
you're right that we're better off than the Kiwis. and i agree that you can fill the holes as you mention. i'm more thinking that the solutions you mention require some reordering because of a lack of immediate replacements. in the backline in particular. if you shift AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to either center position (where he is quite capable) then who plays fullback? is J'OC ready to start in 3N? maybe Turner? but then you need a new winger. cue Lote...??
Yeah, you're right, some re-ordering would happen. If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) came into 12 or 13, and JOC (James O'Connor) or Turner played 15, and that meant Lote came in I hardly think we're neck deep in it. Lote is a solid option, if less spectacular in speed etc than Turner or Mitchell, but he is pretty dependable if needs be.
I think Deans sees something in Tahu but there are concerns about his hammies.
Genia would be a real bonus if he came back playing as he was in S14 - I was really impressed with him.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)

Scotty said:
If Gits is injured we will probably see Barnes, Mortlock, Cross although I'd prefer to see Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mortlock. I think there is a snowflakes chance of Tahu starting a 3N game at 12.

Surely we'd see Ashley Cooper then O'Connor in 12 before Mort's moves inwards. In regards to Tahu, I'd think we're more likely to see Cooper in 12.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

cheezel said:
Scotty said:
If Gits is injured we will probably see Barnes, Mortlock, Cross although I'd prefer to see Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mortlock. I think there is a snowflakes chance of Tahu starting a 3N game at 12.

Surely we'd see Ashley Cooper then O'Connor in 12 before Mort's moves inwards. In regards to Tahu, I'd think we're more likely to see Cooper in 12.
Agreed Tahu not likely at 12, more likely at 13. Cooper the turnstile worries me at 12, dancing moves notwithstanding.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

disco said:
Genia has gone for the season hasn't he? Haven't seen him in club land.

No he was out for 3months with finger surgery, surely that is almost up considering he missed the last 3 weeks of the regular super 14 season plus the two weeks of finals & now we've just finished our 4 inbound games.

So by the time the tri-nations squad get's together in a weeks time he may be ready to play.

I just googled Genia and I got this which indicated he won't be available for a couple of months; but there could be some more recent info. Anybody??

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25422516-5003411,00.html

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)

cyclopath said:
Agreed Tahu not likely at 12, more likely at 13. Cooper the turnstile worries me at 12, dancing moves notwithstanding.

has Tahu shown enough in S14 this year to have you think that he can cut it in 3N? i pose that as a serious question, because i don't think i know enough to say. he did look better towards the later rounds for the Tahs. but he was exposed defensively before for the wobbs. i'd feel more comfortable if he had been able to get a crack against IT or the frogs and had done well. same goes for coopster. he's still too often a speed bump for my liking.

another thing - if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) moves to the centers, besides Lote to fill a wing there is still Hynes. decent enough option.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

An article from fox sports gives some injury insight.

Mark Chisholm concedes he needs a miracle to play in Tri-Nations series By David BeniukJuly 01, 2009 Wallabies spring tour mainstay Mark Chisholm has conceded he would need a miracle to play any part in the Tri-Nations series. Chisholm played in every match of Australia's 2008 end-of-year tour, but has been sidelined since suffering a fractured wrist playing for the Brumbies against the Cheetahs in South Africa in April. The 27-year-old established himself, at least temporarily, as the Wallabies' No.3 lock on the tour after he replaced the injured James Horwill and packed down with Nathan Sharpe. He went on to join Luke Burgess and Dean Mumm as the only players to feature against all of New Zealand, Italy, England, France, Wales and the Barbarians on the spring trip. Chisholm is now targeting the Brumbies' four-match development tour of France, which will feature matches against Sonny Bill Williams' Toulon and Craig Gower's Bayonne, beginning later this month. "I've probably got about four or five weeks to go at this stage," Chisholm said. "Next week it could be a couple of steps ahead of where it is now, but who knows? "It's heartbreaking, not only missing the Test season but the rest of the Super 14 season, I'm pretty cranky about that. "I'd like to think that the team needs me but I won't count on it." The 40-Test veteran has stayed in touch with the Wallabies' medical staff through team doctor Warren McDonald, who is also the Brumbies' medico. Chisholm is amongst a group of big names who will be unavailable for the Wallabies' Tri-Nations squad to be announced on Thursday. Queensland trio Hugh McMeniman (ankle), Digby Ioane (shoulder) and Will Genia (ankle) will remain sidelined during the series. NSW young guns Rob Horne and Kurtley Beale (both hamstring) are still unavailable after injuring themselves at the Junior World Cup. Horne's injury is expected to keep him sidelined for 6-7 weeks. Fringe Wallabies hooker Adam Freier has still not returned to club rugby after tearing a bicep muscle in March. McMeniman's loss is a blow with blindside flankers Rocky Elsom (leg) and Matt Hodgson (shoulder) also struggling for fitness. Mumm, who has emerged as the Wallabies' No.3 lock this year, and Chisholm's Brumbies teammate Peter Kimlin have covered No.6 since Hodgson injured himself in the first match of the international season, against the Barbarians in June. "I back Peter Kimlin, I think Peter Kimlin's an exceptional player," Chisholm said. "Given the chance, although he's young at Super 14 and Wallabies level, in a couple of years he'll be very powerful and he can run the ball.”

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

Newb said:
cyclopath said:

has Tahu shown enough in S14 this year to have you think that he can cut it in 3N? i pose that as a serious question, because i don't think i know enough to say. he did look better towards the later rounds for the Tahs. but he was exposed defensively before for the wobbs. i'd feel more comfortable if he had been able to get a crack against IT or the frogs and had done well. same goes for coopster. he's still too often a speed bump for my liking.

another thing - if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) moves to the centers, besides Lote to fill a wing there is still Hynes. decent enough option.
No, he probably hasn't I'd agree. I based it more on the fact Deans seems to see something there, and my money would be on him trying Tahu at 13.
Obviously Lote is no longer a factor...
Cooper really needs an ugly back rower in his pocket to make the tackles, so he can do his attacking stuff. Speed bump is apt.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Cooper really needs an ugly back rower in his pocket to make the tackles, so he can do his attacking stuff. Speed bump is apt.

Cooper needs to harden up in contact both in defense and attack, otherwise he will never be an international player, and still be flaky at S14 level. My theory is that his fear of contact causes most of his poor play/brain snaps.

R

rugbywhisperer

Had the occasion to watch Cooper last weekend playing for Wests against the GC Breakers. He did nothing special, they had him at 15 and totally failed to utilize his 'talents'. IMO, he is a good club player, below par s14 player and his lack of perceived hunger last weekend had me wondering where he is at.
For a test player - he sure was very very subdued and had little or no impact on the game more than anyother 15 would have done.
There were also an innordinate number of 'onlookers' present, from O'Connor, the QRU elite coaches, even the odd league scout present at this game. Not too sure what they were all looking for.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)

No, he probably hasn't I'd agree. I based it more on the fact Deans seems to see something there, and my money would be on him trying Tahu at 13.

Speed bump would imply he got close enough to get run over. .. clearly in the I-tie game he didn't get run over - but almost seemed to try and run away from the tackle zone,.. I've never seen a bigger fucking pansie in a gold (or maroon) jersey.

Queenslanders should be ashamed to have bred such a tasmanian looking individual too.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

eddo said:
Queenslanders should be ashamed to have bred such a Tasmanian-looking individual too.

They didn't, eddo, he was born in New Zealand.

F

formeropenside

eddo said:

Speed bump would imply he got close enough to get run over. .. clearly in the I-tie game he didn't get run over - but almost seemed to try and run away from the tackle zone,.. I've never seen a bigger fucking pansie in a gold (or maroon) jersey.

Queenslanders should be ashamed to have bred such a tasmanian looking individual too.

He was bred in NZ, we just adopted him up here. We are quite open to people who suffer the disadvantage of being born outside Queensland becoming real Queenslanders.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re: Tri Nations squad named

The return of NSW Waratahs No 8 Wycliff Palu and the selection of the 21-year-old Queensland Reds halfback Will Genia highlight the 30-man Qantas Wallabies squad named today to contest the Bundaberg Rum Tri Nations Series.

This pair takes the places of Lote Tuqiri and Josh Valentine respectively from the squad which completed the first phase of the international season.

The selectors have opted for a 17-13 split between forwards and backs within the group.

“If you look at the competition from an historical perspective, and more particularly look at the pointers from our experience last year; it is in the forward pack where our resources are most likely to come under stress,” Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says.

“With that in mind, and given the nature of playing resources that we have available to us at the moment in terms of players who we feel are capable at this level; we felt that a 17-13 split was the most appropriate mix for this tournament.”

The selection of Genia, who joins the Western Force loose forward Matt Hodgson as an uncapped member of the squad, had been flagged after the Investec Super 14.

His selection at that point was only prevented by the injury he sustained during a two-try performance playing against the Brumbies in Brisbane.

Genia tore a tendon in his finger. He has now resumed passing and, while still to play on his return, is expected to be available when the tournament kicks off in two weeks.

“Had Will been available for our first squad, we would have selected him,” Deans says.

“His absence gave Josh Valentine an opportunity to be involved, and gain experience within our group which is important in terms of broadening our halfback depth but, now that Will is ready to get started, it is an appropriate time to bring him in.”

Deans says Genia, who was born in Papua New Guinea but represented Australia at last year’s Under-20 World Cup, still has major scope for improvement in his game.

“We were impressed by what we saw of his work with the Reds, and believe that he is only going to get better with time and opportunity to develop his game within our framework,” Deans says.

Palu hasn’t played for Australia since last year’s Spring Tour win over France in Paris.

He was forced to return home after that match for a shoulder operation, and has subsequently been troubled by two separate broken bones in his left hand, although those injuries failed to prevent him from appearing in all 13 matches played by the NSW Waratahs during the Super 14.

The 26-year-old, who has 28 Tests to his name, made his playing return at club level for Manly recently.

“Cliff is in the same position as Will, in that he would have been selected in our initial squad had he been available,” Deans says.

“Now that he’s good to go, we’re pleased to have him back.”

His inclusion reinforces a loose forward unit that has been further bolstered by the return from a shoulder injury of Hodgson, who was forced from the field 40 minutes into his debut against the Barbarians at the Sydney Football Stadium last month.

Hodgson is expected to be available for selection for the Tri Nations opener although Rocky Elsom, who is resting a bruised bone around his knee, may not be able to be considered until Australia’s trip to South Africa at the end of the month.

“He’s making progress but we won’t look at getting Rocky started again until he is ready,” Deans says.

Deans says the decision to enter the tournament with nine players capable of featuring among the loose forwards, which includes utility forwards Dean Mumm and Peter Kimlin, reflected both an awareness of the traditionally high rate of attrition in this area, but also the uncertainty over the pre-tournament preparation for Hodgson and Elsom in particular.

This year sees the 14th edition of the annual three-nation tournament, which the All Blacks won last year.

Australia, which has previously captured the title in 2000 and 2001, opens its campaign in New Zealand on 18 July when the Qantas Wallabies tackle the All Blacks at Eden Park.

History underlines what a demanding start to the competition it will be as Australia last won at the ground in 1986.

New Zealand has won the last 10 trans-Tasman Tests in Auckland, and has not been defeated at Eden Park by any country since France prevailed in 1994, 20-matches ago.

The Auckland visit also heralds the start of the annual Bledisloe Cup rivalry, which for a second year will stretch beyond the Tri-Nations tournament, concluding with the historic trans-Tasman Test match in Tokyo on 31 October.

The Wallabies must win three of the four Tests against the All Blacks to relieve the New Zealanders of the trophy, which Australia hasn’t held since it was surrendered to an All Black team co-coached by the current Qantas Wallabies mentor in 2003.

The Bledisloe Cup was first contested by Australia and New Zealand in 1931.

Australia’s second Tri Nations fixture takes the side to Cape Town where it will attempt to repeat last year’s historic 27-15 victory over the Springboks at Durban.

That win, which was the Wallabies’ second over the Springboks in last year’s tournament, secured for Australia the Nelson Mandela Trophy, which was first established for annual competition between the two countries nine years ago.

It was also the Wallabies’ first win in 15 away Tri Nations matches dating back to 2001 and Australia’s first success on South African soil for eight years.

The home leg of the tournament takes place during a demanding three-week period from 22 August where Australia hosts the defending Tri Nations champions New Zealand at ANZ Stadium in Sydney, before facing the reigning Rugby World Cup champions South Africa, back-to-back in Perth and then Brisbane.

Last year, the title rested on the final match of the schedule between Australia and New Zealand. The two traditional rivals are penciled in for the final tie again this year, with the match at Wellington being the 159th Test between the two countries.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Genia in, Lote out, Valentine out. Dunning misses out.

Ben Alexander, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Al Baxter, Richard Brown, Luke Burgess, Quade Cooper, Pekahou Cowan, Ryan Cross, Rocky Elsom, Will Genia, Matt Giteau, Matt Hodgson, James Horwill, Peter Hynes, Peter Kimlin, Drew Mitchell, Stephen Moore, Stirling Mortlock, Dean Mumm, James O¿Connor, Wycliff Palu, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Benn Robinson, Nathan Sharpe, George Smith, Timana Tahu, Lachie Turner, Phil Waugh

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member

fatprop said:
Genia in, Lote out, Valentine out. Dunning misses out.

This, more than anything else, could bite us on the arse this year. Any squad simply MUST have two capable THPs.

It would seem everything Deans does now is directed at RWC2011; he doesn't see Dunning taking part while he's backing himself to get Alexander up to speed in the number 3 jumper.

F

formeropenside

Agree with Lindommer that the THP position is a real problem. If Baxter goes down we are in trouble.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah a squad needs 3 scrummies and 3 hookers and 2 tighthead props. The don't all need to be in the official squad but if the ARU is topping up their salary they should be obliged to help out in opposed training if someone has a niggle, and to be available at a snap of the fingers if somebody can't play.

Puzzling why Dunning or Shepherdson isn't in there - especially Shepherdson who missed only 3 games in the S14 and has been playing in the Shute Shield for a while now, whereas Tuckie has just had 4 club games IIRR, including from the bench, since that egregious scrum at Wembley.

Good to see that Genia is fit, which means that article I quoted was wrong, or out of date, and disco was right.

The more I watched Genia this year before his injury and before and after his suspension, the more I realised how much he had progressed, and how much he had got ahead of Lucas who was learning on the job.

This lad will be pushing Burgess for his Wallaby spot next year and if that transpires it will be a terrific thing for Oz rugby. Go son !!

Status
Not open for further replies.