• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tri Nations Game 4 South Africa v Australia - Saturday 13 August 2011 - 3N2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Have any of the 'injured' 21 played CC rugby lately? If so how did they look?

If they haven't played any rugby I reckon they will start very slowly as they get back in the swing of test footy.

They have had four probables vs possibles, and two guest invitationals.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It really is time for Deans to give JOC (James O'Connor) a go at 12. Every time he touches the ball something happens. He proved himself at the Force this year at 10-12 and he should be Quades backup at the RWC.
When Mitchell returns, which I think he will in time for the RWC, JOC (James O'Connor) must move to IC to accommodate him.
That will be our best backline with McCabe on the bench.
I would put Rocky on the bench for this one and start with a backrow of Higgers, Pocock and Samo. Probably will not happen but hopefully we still see a lot of the two successful Qld backrowers this weekend.

Get behind your team people. They may not be the the very best but they are the best we have.

That team we had on the partk last Saturday was not the best we have. Not to go into it in too much depth but its hard to get behind a team for this Saturday that you know is going to be less than optimal.

I agree this is the match to give JOC (James O'Connor) a go at 12 (actually the game against SA at home would have been better) but he has to have quality time there and this game we will not be facing the best team in the world, particularly in the backs.
I also agree Rocky should be on the bench (Deans can call it a rest to refresh him after the hard game last week) with Samo and Higgers starting. Sharpie for Simmons and please!! no Ma'afu. I think Burgess should start because he won't get much time off the bench and I would have a 5:2 split against the Boks with Hodgson to be injury back-up for Pocock.

H

hannibal

For me:

1. Kepu
2. Moore
3. Alexander
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. HIGGINBOTHAM!!!!! :) (gotto have the lad somewhere and he stands out here half the time anyway)
15. Beale

Res: Simmons, Burgess, Fingers, Cowan, Turner

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Boks likely starting team according to Supersport:
http://www.supersport.com/rugby/springboks/news/110808/Spotlight_on_Du_Preez_and_Brussow

Probable Bok team for Durban: Frans Steyn, JP Pietersen, Jaque Fourie, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana, Butch James, Fourie du Preez, Pierre Spies, Danie Rossouw, Heinrich Brussow, Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, Jannie du Plessis, John Smit (captain), Beast Mtawarira. Replacements: Bismarck du Plessis, Gurthro Steenkamp, Gerhard Mostert, Jean Deysel, Francois Hougaard, Morne Steyn, Juan de Jongh.

Juan Smith will probably get a run next week and if he doesn't come through he may well miss out.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Brussow got through half hour against Western Province and from reports he tore them up at the breakdown. Paarl?
Havent watch any CC except friday night when Griquas beat the Sharks. it was all about Interschools in Paarl this week and still celebrating. Havent even watched the All Blacks dismantling the Wallabies.

B

Braveheart.

I don't think that Samo will walk straight into the starting XV.

In all likelihood (as Deans won't drop Rocky) I think that Higgers will start at No. 8. Samo to the bench as McCalman offers neither versitility nor impact.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
http://www.supersport.com/rugby/springboks/news/110808/Spotlight_on_Du_Preez_and_Brussow

Probable Bok team for Durban: Frans Steyn, JP Pietersen, Jaque Fourie, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana, Butch James, Fourie du Preez, Pierre Spies, Danie Rossouw, Heinrich Brussow, Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, Jannie du Plessis, John Smit (captain), Beast Mtawarira. Replacements: Bismarck du Plessis, Gurthro Steenkamp, Gerhard Mostert, Jean Deysel, Francois Hougaard, Morne Steyn, Juan de Jongh.

Juan Smith will probably get a run next week and if he doesn't come through he may well miss out.

Look like a good team and they have a bit of rust. Its their most important test in 4 years and hope they are up for it.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Wallabies going for three in a row against a rusty Bokke side in Durban where we almost toppled them last year.

C

chief

This is the time where Deans has to act. He must ditch McCalman. He must include Samo on the bench. If he wants to win the RWC he needs to look at a new addition to his backrow. We know he won't get rid of Elsom, therefore we must look elsewhere to an effective player. McCalman isn't a bad player, but he's not going to help the Wallabies win a RWC like Samo or maybe Higginbotham. It's obvious I'm a Reds supporter, but Samo was the form #8. Seriously imagine, a Cliffy Palu 60 minute stint, with Radike Samo coming on for the final 20. Sounds very attractive indeed.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Look like a good team and they have a bit of rust. Its their most important test in 4 years and hope they are up for it.

I predict they will turn up in a big way. I have been skeptical but I sense a big effort brewing. It won't be enough to defend the cup because our game plan will be too limited but we will worry a few. We had a golden run. All I care for is playing good rubgy. I'd hate to go down with the shit we played last year. It was terrible to watch. As long as we leave it all out there I'll be happy.

People are talking about age etc etc but for the most part those guys have 5 or 6 big games left in their legs. The likes of Lambie may well yet squeeze into the starting 15 and we could well field a back row of Burger / Brussow / Smit (Rossouw). If that doesn't worry opposition teams behind a Fourie du Preez who could get back to good form then you have a short memory.

Botha played with a back brace and cortosone injections all season and after two months he has apparently healed 100% Matfield was nursing a bad shoulder all year that has now has time to heal. According to a mate of mine in Pretoria Steenkamp is physically stronger than ever.

Our defense will be better than last year because we didn't have a defensive coach for two years and senior players and the coaches couldn't agree on defensive pattern (which is what you get when the players have too much say.

The more they write us off Oom, the better. Guys like Matfield stand up for the big games and this is his last run. No swansong overseas. Just the next few test matches. Look out.

We won't start spinning it wide. It will be simple and ugly but if done well, it will be hard to beat.

DownsSupporter

Frank Nicholson (4)
"We won't start spinning it wide. It will be simple and ugly but if done well, it will be hard to beat."

I am looking foreward to that and, in particularly, whether the Australian pack shows the skill and heart to confront the Boks...otherwise a fairly miserable WC despite all the learnings to be had.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

Thats a good team. Really looking forward to this match. Will the wob's bounce back or the will the Boks steamroll?

I am now picking the latter - last week, I would have picked the former.

therefore, the Wallabies will win.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thanks, Blue. You just made me nervous.

No problem! Anything else? :)

Seriously the way to beat us remains the same.

1. Move the ball away from the contact areas as quick as possible,
2. accurate kicking game (don't get caught up in a ping pong battle and on second phase du Preez will be the sweeper when you kick and he will make you pay and Steyn will just drive you back),
3. Play as wide as you can and make sure you get the quicker guys running at Jacques Fourie's outside shoulder. On first and second phase it won't be so easy to get through but on 3rd and later you'll have forwards to run at.
4. Low penalty account inside 60 metres.
5. Don't fuck up your own lineout. Get the ball.

Easy!

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Wallabies cheat sheet:

1. Show up the week after the Wallabies have won;
2. Play for New Zealand.

But seriously, it would be something like:
1. Concentrate on the tackle and the breakdown. Commit two men to the tackle and drive as far past the ball as you can get away with.
2. Defensive line speed needs to be as fast as is possible for your team.

T

tranquility

Great post Blue...

I really hope SA with their best players on the park play their traditional, hard, up the guts fearsome rugby they are renowned for. Because while I love free-flowing rugby, I also like the fact that rugby is a game that has different approaches and this separates our game from many others. SA traditionally play a different game to both New Zealand and us, and this could e for a myriad of reasons; including cultural, geographical, philosophical however it is these differences which make SA such a fantastic rival, and inclusion in Super rugby and the Tri Nations.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I predict they will turn up in a big way. I have been skeptical but I sense a big effort brewing. It won't be enough to defend the cup because our game plan will be too limited but we will worry a few. We had a golden run. All I care for is playing good rubgy. I'd hate to go down with the shit we played last year. It was terrible to watch. As long as we leave it all out there I'll be happy.

People are talking about age etc etc but for the most part those guys have 5 or 6 big games left in their legs. The likes of Lambie may well yet squeeze into the starting 15 and we could well field a back row of Burger / Brussow / Smit (Rossouw). If that doesn't worry opposition teams behind a Fourie du Preez who could get back to good form then you have a short memory.

Botha played with a back brace and cortosone injections all season and after two months he has apparently healed 100% Matfield was nursing a bad shoulder all year that has now has time to heal. According to a mate of mine in Pretoria Steenkamp is physically stronger than ever.

Our defense will be better than last year because we didn't have a defensive coach for two years and senior players and the coaches couldn't agree on defensive pattern (which is what you get when the players have too much say.

The more they write us off Oom, the better. Guys like Matfield stand up for the big games and this is his last run. No swansong overseas. Just the next few test matches. Look out.

We won't start spinning it wide. It will be simple and ugly but if done well, it will be hard to beat.
The most important player back is Brussouw for me. I agree totally with your post. Now is the time we want some real Bok rugby. Ugly , or running no matter, this will be the weekend to show we can do it. I want a passionate game from our B team.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The most important player back is Brussouw for me. I agree totally with your post. Now is the time we want some real Bok rugby. Ugly , or running no matter, this will be the weekend to show we can do it. I want a passionate game from our B team.

I'll take ugly because when it's done right it's a thing of beauty :)

Status
Not open for further replies.