• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
There will never be a cure for cancer, because there are many totally different diseases called cancer.
also, it does not make economic sense to "cure" it, better off to market a product that "controls" it. but I digress...

A side note on the Israel show: how many articles in rugby journalism relate to this 1 guy? I'd say almost 1/4 of all news items (excluding match reports) deal with him, his future, his ability to play for the wallabies, or other peoples opinion on his abilities or future. That's got to be valuable to the ARU and NSWRU from a "brand penetration" point of view

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The Stormers are going bash Izzy this week and try and really shut him down. He is on other teams radars now. If he handles this week well I'll be very impressed.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I think he'll have a quiet game after this week's hoopla.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Stormers are going bash Izzy this week and try and really shut him down. He is on other teams radars now. If he handles this week well I'll be very impressed.

Hopefully I'm wrong but I think he'll have a quiet game after this week's hoopla.

I wonder if they will test him under the high ball? ;)

Irrespective of any other aspects of Folau's game, it is quite refreshing to see an Australian back not just comfortable under the high ball, but dominant.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)

And SOO Mungoball isn't about bashing the living bejesus out of each other?

I think Izzy will not be too worried about being "targeted".

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
He's only just on their radars now?
I think the foreign teams have been keeping a concerned eye on him but after last week I think they'll be putting a lot more focus on him.

Could be wrong but I think the hype has been just been locally based.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Coaches watch game tape. I doubt Izzy is a surprise to anyone except Australian fans who hate anyone who switches from mungo.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
He hasn't switched from mungoland. He has come from contact Netball. We saved him for Rugby Lite. No reason to hate him.

Reactions: TSR

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
"Looking forward to playing out the rest of the year" says Izzy after the Stormers match.

WTF does that mean?

Not giving anything away. Great smile from IF in the interview.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought that was a odd as well, it would be something you say if you were going back to league. I'm a little scared now.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
ARU, HSBC, some rich bloke, whoever - get the cash on the table. Sign him up until after the next World Cup at least.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Geez, I hope he stays. I fear he won't, for reasons that escape me at the moment. I struggle to recall someone picking up so much in their first season of senior rugby, and improving so steadily, AND have the X-factor. I don't think any of us really know how far he could go. I'll just enjoy this season, and hope to see him go round again. Seems a nice fellow too.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't think the NRL is the main threat to taking Izzy, I think a few overseas teams will be sending a contract his way.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It just seems so foreign to my mind that he would go back to League.

I don't like League, but I still think it is objective to say that it lacks so much appeal for a player compared to Rugby in relation to depth of experience (Proper world cups, Lions, Barbarians, 4 Nations, NH Tours, OS playing opportunities).

The only 2 things I think that could be attractive to him to go back are

1. State of Origin. Even rugby heads can admit it is a pretty special spectacle, but considering Izzy is a bit of troubadour I'm not sure his alligence to the Maroons would draw him back

Or the most likely attraction I can see is

2. He has unfinished business in League. He left when he was at the top of his powers, but only for a brief time. He probably feels he owes them a debt too for running off to AFL and was essentially wasted as a marketing tool.

But then again, plenty of people do just love League. I worry he is one of them and this year has been audacious bid to prove his worth to League teams and give his agent time to put the right deal together, unlike last time where he became available after rosters were full.

I think our only hope is if he has fallen in love with the 15 man game.

T

TOCC

It just seems so foreign to my mind that he would go back to League.

I don't like League, but I still think it is objective to say that it lacks so much appeal for a player compared to Rugby in relation to depth of experience (Proper world cups, Lions, Barbarians, 4 Nations, NH Tours, OS playing opportunities).

The only 2 things I think that could be attractive to him to go back are

1. State of Origin. Even rugby heads can admit it is a pretty special spectacle, but considering Izzy is a bit of troubadour I'm not sure his alligence to the Maroons would draw him back

Or the most likely attraction I can see is

2. He has unfinished business in League. He left when he was at the top of his powers, but only for a brief time. He probably feels he owes them a debt too for running off to AFL and was essentially wasted as a marketing tool.

But then again, plenty of people do just love League. I worry he is one of them and this year has been audacious bid to prove his worth to League teams and give his agent time to put the right deal together, unlike last time where he became available after rosters were full.

I think our only hope is if he has fallen in love with the 15 man game.

um... option 3 and probably one of the most important options is $$$$$

NRL Salary Cap is set to increase to $7.6million by 2017, he could be offered a backloaded 3 year contract which could potentially trump any ARU offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.