• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Thoughts on Folau to rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think a big influence on Folau staying is the "family" he has developed at the Tah's with the other islander players. The camerarderie he has with these other players is much better than anything that he experienced in league. This may be a small factor but I wouldn't underestimate it's value in helping him decide to stay in our game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope the ARU lined up a selection of classic RWC games for the flights to and from South Africa on the Tahs recent trip.

"Oh look, how convenient. The only TV you can choose from on this 10 hour flight are Australia vs NZ 2003, Australia vs NZ 1991, Australia vs France 1999, Australia vs South Africa 1999."

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I hope the ARU lined up a selection of classic RWC games for the flights to and from South Africa on the Tahs recent trip.

"Oh look, how convenient. The only TV you can choose from on this 10 hour flight are Australia vs NZ 2003, Australia vs NZ 1991, Australia vs France 1999, Australia vs South Africa 1999."

Oh, yeah, and what happens if some games from 2007 are shown? Not only did we under-perform, the general standard of rugby on display was turgid, mostly.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh, yeah, and what happens if some games from 2007 are shown? Not only did we under-perform, the general standard of rugby on display was turgid, mostly.

Clearly in the interests of showing Izzy how great international rugby is and what a great experience playing in a RWC would be, you would pick and choose the games carefully.

Maybe there'd be some videos of the pubs they visited in 2007.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Izzy a terrific athlete - shithouse AFL player - great Mungo player and a POTENTIAL great rugby player. He still has plenty to do IMO prior to playing for the Wallabies. Not saying he cannot but want a few more runs on the board. Suppose it increases the fan base and income stream - bit like big Dell Sailor for the Reds years ago - think he signed for 3 years for about $500k (total), a lot of $$$$$ then. Believe the Reds paid for the bloke in the first half of the first season by increased attendances at Ballymore

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I think a big influence on Folau staying is the "family" he has developed at the Tah's with the other islander players. The camerarderie he has with these other players is much better than anything that he experienced in league. This may be a small factor but I wouldn't underestimate it's value in helping him decide to stay in our game.

Lot more at South Sydney (and evry other Mungo club in the NRL)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
939987-team-tonga.jpg

Team Tonga.

Technically Volavola (Fijian) and I think Ulugia aren't Tongan. I'm not sure about Will Skelton.

Apparently Dave Dennis has tried to join Team Tonga but has been rejected multiple times.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Izzy a terrific athlete - shithouse AFL player - great Mungo player and a POTENTIAL great rugby player. He still has plenty to do IMO prior to playing for the Wallabies. Not saying he cannot but want a few more runs on the board. Suppose it increases the fan base and income stream - bit like big Dell Sailor for the Reds years ago - think he signed for 3 years for about $500k (total), a lot of $$$$$ then. Believe the Reds paid for the bloke in the first half of the first season by increased attendances at Ballymore

Can you quantify this "plenty more to do"? More run meters? More tries? More winning of contested high balls? More line breaks? Offloads? Try-saving tackles?

I was sceptical too when he signed with the Tahs, but the bloke is already a top-flight rugby player.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think an ironic moustache is all that stands between him and being a fully fledged rugby player ready for Wallabies selection.

That could certainly qualify as "more to do". Not sure about the "plenty" though. Maybe that's creating an Instagram account and learning the correct use of the term "bred" on Twitter?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
That could certainly qualify as "more to do". Not sure about the "plenty" though. Maybe that's creating an Instagram account and learning the correct use of the term "bred" on Twitter?

Think I saw some Instagram photos from Izzy. In the Daily Telegraph. That's the cool way to check Instagram now. Anyway, they were from the South African safari, confirming that the Tahs had shown him all the good stuff on the trip there.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Don't think money is an issue as the above have eluded to, the ARU/Tahs can easily match anything that league can give him. Rugby can also offer him much more travel wise, and provide better retirement options in France or Japan. Given that we'll see the dollar slide a fair bit soon the overseas options will only get more attractive!

Really hope to see him stay, if he does he'll be a superstar at the 2015 World Cup and will be one of the faces used to sell Rugby to the world at the Olympics!

I suspect part of his ongoing negotiations with the ARU will be weather he will be in contention to PLAY at the Rio Olympics... Do not doubt for a moment that this was one of the Cards on the Table when he considered the switch to Union...

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Think I saw some Instagram photos from Izzy. In the Daily Telegraph. That's the cool way to check Instagram now. Anyway, they were from the South African safari, confirming that the Tahs had shown him all the good stuff on the trip there.

Halfway there, then!

T

TOCC

Better then anything he experienced in league?? I doubt it, the Melbourne Storm are one of the best sporting organisations in this country....
Yes I'm aware of the salary cap breaches, with those aside player development and retention is a model our rugby clubs would envy.

Status
Not open for further replies.