• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Hunt has to be in the 23. He is a class act.

He probably will be, Cheika expressed a lot of interest even before he had any real Super form. Now he's packed on a bit of mass and he's probably the best performing outside back in Australia at the moment.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
McMahon, Higgers and Timani with Hoops as backup looks good to me

Haha.

Is Liam Gill available?

Scrubber you beautiful soul you.

Mcmahon has always offered better form off the bench. As a starter, being a smaller lighter ball runner is less effective whilst all the opposition are still fresh and ready to go. Gotta have big bodies like Timani in there going toe to toe, then you bring on Mcmahon to go absolutely batshit in the last 20-30 and do serious damage

I wrote a long piece on this last year, but despite common belief, McMahon has actually (generally) been superb at both test level and playing the full 80.

He was really impressive in the English series.

Regardless, I agree with you anyway and I think he will be utilised off the bench.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think if Beale is unavailable for the June tests we should be looking to K Hunt to fill the #12 role. Could work really well considering his physicality in both attack in defence as well as his ability to be a playmaker. Coupled with the fact that Kerevi will most likely be at #13 - those 2 complement each other really nicely as a result of their time at the Reds. Then keep Folau at #15 and throw the 2 speedsters on the wing (Speight and Naivalu). Yes, Hunt isn't very familiar with the #12 role, but he would slot in nicely. His form is just too good to ignore at the minute in all honesty.

His form is good - but I'd rather Hunt at 15, with Folau on a wing (maybe) than bunging Hunt at 12 in a Test. I'm sure he could play 12 but trying it in a Test seems a bit odd, especially with other 12 options who are decent. Play him where he has been strong. But either way, I'm hoping to see Hunt in the team in June.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
His form is good - but I'd rather Hunt at 15, with Folau on a wing (maybe) than bunging Hunt at 12 in a Test. I'm sure he could play 12 but trying it in a Test seems a bit odd, especially with other 12 options who are decent. Play him where he has been strong. But either way, I'm hoping to see Hunt in the team in June.

To be fair, Hunt generally defends in the 10 or 12 channel (10 now that Quade is back) and many of the Reds' set plays now have Hunt (with Kerevi) as direct runners DP as a wider ball playing options- so it wouldn't really be a huge stretch for him to play 12.
Hunt's natural position to me is as a 12 with agression in defence and direct running rather than a deceptive runner and kicker.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
I'm waiting for one of those Brumbies fans to step in and correct us on the omission of Kuridrani at 13 as well..

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Folau will be the 15. There is no question

So the question is over 12 and 13.

Think Beale will be chosen by Cheka at 12 and one of K and K at 13. I'd go with TK over Samu simply because of defence and skill levels. Hunt hopefully will be on the pine covering a multitude of positions

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The thing I love about Hunt, and what I think will get him selected in the starting XV (somewhere), is that he has that inherent confidence and competitiveness (bordering-on-arrogance) that you need to compete at the top level of sports.

He rises to big moments instead of shirking away from them.

That's why I'd prefer him at 15 and Folau at 14 over Folau at 15 and someone else on the wing.

I don't know why, but I feel as if we're 3 points down with 5 to go against the All Blacks Hunt will be thinking:

"Get fucked we're going to win this and I'm good enough to make it happen"

Whereas Speight / Naivalu have shown temperaments / varying confidence levels over their careers that make me believe they'll be thinking:

"Jesus I hope we can win this and if we don't I hope its not me that fucks it up"

You need as many players with Hunt's temperament in a team as possible as in most circumstances belief, confidence and commitment trumps all else.

Pocock, McMahon and Hooper have it in buckets. Its a shame they're all in the same position as not many other consistent Wallabies have shown it.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Sometimes Michael that "confidence" you talk about exhibits itself in selfish play often to the detriment of the team (often going those couple of extra steps) - two of those blokes have that in spades the other bloke is overseas.

Hunt is actually a different personality and will always play for the team

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sometimes Michael that "confidence" you talk about exhibits itself in selfish play often to the detriment of the team (often going those couple of extra steps) - two of those blokes have that in spades the other bloke is overseas.

Hunt is actually a different personality and will always play for the team

You think McMahon and Hooper are intrinsically selfish players?

Could you elaborate or provide examples?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The thing I love about Hunt, and what I think will get him selected in the starting XV (somewhere), is that he has that inherent confidence and competitiveness (bordering-on-arrogance) that you need to compete at the top level of sports.

He rises to big moments instead of shirking away from them.

That's why I'd prefer him at 15 and Folau at 14 over Folau at 15 and someone else on the wing.

I don't know why, but I feel as if we're 3 points down with 5 to go against the All Blacks Hunt will be thinking:

"Get fucked we're going to win this and I'm good enough to make it happen"

Whereas Speight / Naivalu have shown temperaments / varying confidence levels over their careers that make me believe they'll be thinking:

"Jesus I hope we can win this and if we don't I hope its not me that fucks it up"

You need as many players with Hunt's temperament in a team as possible as in most circumstances belief, confidence and commitment trumps all else.

Pocock, McMahon and Hooper have it in buckets. Its a shame they're all in the same position as not many other consistent Wallabies have shown it.

Jesus, Michael, do you really think you can get into the heads of rugby players like this?

Crap on.

As far as Hunt at 12 goes, the repeated calls for him to ply there for the Wallabies is reminiscent of the calls for Folau to play 13 when he'd never played that position for the Tahs. After half a season this year of playing 13, I think he has convinced everybody that No 13 is not his gig. Hunt at 12 could well be a similar case, but let's really see him tried there for the Reds for half a dozen games or so before calling for his move in the Wallabies.

Then, his June test prospects should simply be as a 15. If DHP was available, Hunt wouldn't get a look in for the starting side. As it is, he needs to show he is better than Folou, which I don't think he's done. Looks like a bench spot to me until he has runs on the board for the 12 spot, if ever.

And yes, Kuridrani is a better (shit load better) defender than Kerevi. One combination I wouldn't like to see is Kerevi at 13 and Naivalu on the wing. Two poor defenders will get eaten by the better test sides around.

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Ideally, Hunt plays at 15. But if Cheika is so stubborn about playing Izzy at #15, and Beale happens to be unavailable, then I'd like to see him at 12. I think he could adapt to the #12 role quite easily. He defends in the front line for the Reds 80% of the time and is often sliding into that first/second receiver role. Which other players deserve to have a crack at the #12 jersey if Beale is unavailable? Kerevi? Cheika is a big fan of having another "playmaker-esque" player at 12 - so that's probably unlikely (coupled with the fact that it didn't really work against England last year, assuming TK is at 13). Reece Hodge? Potentially, well and truly, he has a great long range boot and, like Hunt, is aggressive. But Hunt's form has just been too good.

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
Anyone else get the "Exclussive" ticket offer tonight from the ARU for the Wallabies v Scotland? The. Very. First. Word. Misspelt and circulated across Australia. Inspires confidence.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
SO Cheika says yes he is looking at Hunt...but he's also looking at Perese, Magnay and Kellaway....He likes that Magnay is big and has high hopes for kellaway.

And how can he even think about dempsey, hanigan and korczyk in the same breath as higs.

Yes Cheika has to have his eye on pathways, but he is the wallabies coach...not the u20 coach, not a development coach, and not the high performance manager. PLEASE Cheika...focus on the players that are really are going to be having an influence in 2019. Sorry but most those players just won't be. It's not THAT far away.

Is Kellaway going to overtake Folau, Hunt, DHP?
Is Perese or Magnay going to overtake Kerevi, Tk, Naivalu, Speight, Koroibete? Even Peni and Rona have been outplaying them
Is Korczyk playing better now or look like he will be playing better then poey, hoops, mcmahon, higs, fardy or even Mccalman? Does he have more potential then Hardwick, naisarani or RHP?