• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

T

TOCC

They're most clearly not like for like selections. I don't think anyone is expecting Korczyk or Dempsey to make the 23 at any point and they are young up and coming players and Higginbotham is almost 31 and has signed to play in Japan over the offseason.

Is he actually going to Japan? thats news to me..

In either case, who gives a shit, if Fardy or Higgers are the better options then select them. Dempsey and Korcyzk haven't even nailed down starting spots at their respective super rugby teams.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Hasn't Fardy been given an early release by the ARU? So I assume he can't be called back in

He's been released so he can make a move to Leinster and and join in the pre-season training, he's already there in fact. But he wasn't due to start until after the RC and I assume his contract reflects, so if he was called up it would be entirely up to him.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Cheika specifically made comments about Timani's fitness at the start of the June series that it wasn't there yet.

He then selected him for the last test in the series because his fitness presumably improved after a few weeks in camp.

Looks like just another piece of coaching bullshit to me - you know what I mean?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Obviously I'm disappointed for Sam Carter.
Who knows, maybe Alan Jones will pick him to captain The Barbarians against the Wallabies in Sydney in October!!!

If so, Mr D, that will be the first reason to support the Baa Baas against our national side. I expect there will be plenty more to come as the test series unwinds.

Reactions: dru

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I can kind of understand the selection of Douglas over Carter. He is a different type of player, and Cheika obviously backs himself to get the best out of him. At his best, he would give us some grunt. His form doesn't warrant selection in my view, but behind Arnold & Coleman there is a fair drop to the next good, abrasive lock.

I don't get the Simmons selection over Carter at all. They are similar players. For most of their careers Simmons has been the superior player, but over the last season Carters form was clearly superior.

Rodda is looking a decent show to get a debut.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
If so, Mr D, that will be the first reason to support the Baa Baas against our national side. I expect there will be plenty more to come as the test series unwinds.

No way, BR, would never support another team against the Wallabies, just as I've never supported the Brumbies to beat the Reds, even with Sam as captain.
We always want Sam to play well, but our loyalty is "non-transferable"!

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No way, BR, would never support another team against the Wallabies, just as I've never supported the Brumbies to beat the Reds, even with Sam as captain.
We always want Sam to play well, but our loyalty is "non-transferable"!

Seriously?

Personally, while I hope for the best for the Wallabies I can't find any optimism at all. The coaching team at best is suspect, the selections are the usual hodge podge that we have learned from this group. The captaincy is ho-hum.

We build from the worst Soup record ever. With an inadequate selection.

I suspect I might just be rooting for the babahs.

I'll watch the Wallaby games but wont put much importance is doing this live. Recordings viewed the next day are fine.

And that is as close to losing a rusted on supporter as the ARU can get.

Rugby in Aus has entered the stage of Lazarus undergoing the triple bypass.

btw "Loyalty" is just as transferable as the credence that the organisation gives it. None.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm with Mr Doug. Despite my misgivings, come game day I will not only be supporting the Wallabies, but will have convinced myself that they are up for this. I'll be expecting upbeat, skillful rugby and a brick wall (or is it a rope) in defence that doesn't break.

N Hanigan to be MOM in the first two Bledisloes, before getting red carded in the third for decapitating Rettallick and making Kaino cry like a baby.

I am nothing if not an optimist.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Congratulations to the new players that have made the Wallabies squad for the first time.

I also think there are some concerns with the backline.

It's a shame Hunt is out. I think he brings something no other backline player in OZ currently brings. Beale at 2nd 5. Kerevi or Kurindrani at centre? Toss a coin.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Congratulations to the new players that have made the Wallabies squad for the first time.

I also think there are some concerns with the backline.

It's a shame Hunt is out. I think he brings something no other backline player in OZ currently brings. Beale at 2nd 5. Kerevi or Kurindrani at centre? Toss a coin.

Foley
Beale
Kerevi

Is it possible to hide 3 players in defence?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Kerevi can tackle. He just needs to make better decisions. But he will he really exposed if keep trying to use the same defensive structure we have been.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Foley
Beale
Kerevi

Is it possible to hide 3 players in defence?

They aren't hidden in defence, in Foley's case it's to position him for a counter attack/kick.

Regardless, no we can't select 3 suspect defenders in the front line. If Beale is 12 then Kuridrani needs to be 13. If Kerevi is 13 then Beale needs to be 15. I think the latter will happen regardless of who is 13.

T

TOCC

Chubby probably believes he can get more out of the players he has stuck with. Maybe a quantum leap in fitness levels is part of that.

In 2014 Carter displayed fantastic form and looked to be a long term wallaby option. In 2015 and 2016 when Carter was selected for the Wallabies I said he was selected on the form he displayed in 2014, 2015 he was overcoming injury and was well underdone, 2016 he was better but still not test standard. In 2017, when his form has warranted selection, Cheika doesn't select him..