• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Wallabies Thread

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Highlander, walk me through what a stand-off is. Is it a 10?
Just another name for the 10/Fly Half/Five Eighth/First Five.

I think it comes from being the player who "Stands Off" the ruck/scrum/lineout to be the first receiver, as compared to the occasionally used, but much less common "Stand In" used for the Scrum Half.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Cips is still pretty erratic and not that great. Gopperth is the primary, steady playmaker that foils with Beale and Le Roux.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Used to be a bit critical of Benny A back in the day.

To me, he is the form LHP in the Aussie Conference. Much better than Sio (ATM) and a mile ahead of Tom R.

He really seems to be scrimmaging well and doing more around the field than the other 2 blokes combined.

Hope Cheika re-looks at the bloke.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Used to be a bit critical of Benny A back in the day.

To me, he is the form LHP in the Aussie Conference. Much better than Sio (ATM) and a mile ahead of Tom R.

He really seems to be scrimmaging well and doing more around the field than the other 2 blokes combined.

Hope Cheika re-looks at the bloke.
Lost his hingeyness?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Would the report of Mcmahon doing his Japanese stint suggest he will just do Japanese seasons 17/18 and 18/19 and probably re sign with Super Rugby in 2019 to be WC eligible?

Based on the story it seems ALSO playing super rugby is unlikely

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Toby Smith has returned pretty well for the Rebels. I'd be putting him in the Wallaby squad (and the matchday 23).

I doubt Alexander or Cowan will make a Wallaby squad over Robertson this season even if they are in better form.

Considering none of them probably make the squad when all players are healthy I'd guess Cheika will keep working with a young up-and-comer than revert back to an old stager who probably won't make the 23.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Chek should be choosing the BEST available in each position.

If he even considers Tom R then he is sticking with his "favourites policy" and TBH that won't surprise me one bit

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Chek should be choosing the BEST available in each position.

If he even considers Tom R then he is sticking with his "favourites policy" and TBH that won't surprise me one bit

On one hand we have people arguing that players who should be in the starting XV or at least the matchday 23 should be passed over because they might be too old for the next RWC but then this take that it should always be the best available.

I think it's a different consideration when you're thinking whether someone is in the best side or just part of the wider squad.

I don't think picking a young player who was part of your squad last year and is down on form is playing favourites. It's a continuation of building for the future.

International rugby sides are never picked entirely on current form because it is an ongoing process of team development like any professional squad.

Every Wallaby coach has done it and every international coach also does it.

Why would you select Ben Alexander in your Wallaby squad at age 32 if you didn't think he would be in your matchday 23?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I agree with pretty much BH says above.

I don't see a whole lot of variation from the team Cheika picks versus the one which played the bulk of the minutes on the EOYT, less Pocock and Mumm.

I think the main queries are:
- the third hooker
- who the fuck to play at 6
- the third halfback
- what to do do with Beale.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would think that Moore/TPN/Latu are the obvious 3 choices for hooker.........

IMO Fardy should play at 6 until he heads overseas....... there's no one challenging him for that position.

Powell should be first choice halfback on form, but will likely drop back to third behind Genia and Phipps.

As for Beale......... depends on whether Cheika feels like giving Hodge another chance at 12?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The more I watch him the more I'm convinced Karmichael Hunt will fit really well into Cheika's Wallabies. He is so physical in contact situations. The perfect Cheika player.

I also think we may see a McMahon/Hooper/Timani back row combo. Not sure if Cheik will pick Fardy or Higgers if history is any guide.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I would think that Moore/TPN/Latu are the obvious 3 choices for hooker...

IMO Fardy should play at 6 until he heads overseas... there's no one challenging him for that position.

Powell should be first choice halfback on form, but will likely drop back to third behind Genia and Phipps.

As for Beale... depends on whether Cheika feels like giving Hodge another chance at 12?

I don't think that's quite right - on that basis then Mumm is still in consideration and is the incumbent. McMahon, Timani, Tui, Hanigan, Holloway, RHP are all challengers from a longer term perspective, and Higginbotham has to be the hottest challenger on form.