• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Tahs 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah Kepu re-signed for 1 year which is a short time. Perhaps they are re-aligning their contracting timetables so that not every prop is up for renewal at the same time. Or maybe they don't think much of him, which I doubt. More likely it is Kepu's manager telling him to back himself and take a jump up in class in 2009 for a better negotiation a year from now.

Also, at long last, Jeremy Tilse has been replaced in the roster. Dan Palmer, the Oz U/20 THP has been signed for 3 years. He was in the professional Academy this year and they must have thought a lot of him there to sign him for so long as a teenager.

You may recall that Palmer came off the bench against the Highlanders on a rainy day in Dunedin, instead of Baxter who had got a head knock in the previous game.

With the S14 probably expanding in 2010 and Baxter and Dunning not getting any younger, we need a few young props to give service in a longer season. And who knows: THP Salesi Manu in the NSW Academy, yet still at school, could be backing up Palmer in the years to come.

It was a pity about Tilse, but he was Link's biggest contracting disaster in his time IMO.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lee Grant said:
Yeah Kepu re-signed for 1 year which is a short time. Perhaps they are re-aligning their contracting timetables so that not every prop is up for renewal at the same time. Or maybe they don't think much of him, which I doubt. More likely it is Kepu's manager telling him to back himself and take a jump up in class in 2009 for a better negotiation a year from now.

Also, at long last, Jeremy Tilse has been replaced in the roster. Dan Palmer, the Oz U/20 THP has been signed for 3 years. He was in the professional Academy this year and they must have thought a lot of him there to sign him for so long as a teenager.

You may recall that Palmer came off the bench against the Highlanders on a rainy day in Dunedin, instead of Baxter who had got a head knock in the previous game.

With the S14 probably expanding in 2010 and Baxter and Dunning not getting any younger, we need a few young props to give service in a longer season. And who knows: THP Salesi Manu in the NSW Academy, yet still at school, could be backing up Palmer in the years to come.

It was a pity about Tilse, but he was Link's biggest contracting disaster in his time IMO.

Yes, beats Sam Harris by a muffiin top.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
At least Sammy got to play in quite a few games unlike young Tilse - what a waste of a spot.

I'm assuming Tilse will be dropped because there are 5 contracted props without him.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
Does anyone know if Liam Shaw is running around for Norths again this year? Could he be an option for the 'tahs for next year as he is well over 2m. How did he handle the ARC last year?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Aussie D said:
Does anyone know if Liam Shaw is running around for Norths again this year? Could he be an option for the 'tahs for next year as he is well over 2m. How did he handle the ARC last year?

IIRC he moved north when his father returned to Brisbane and is running around with Brothers these days. There was an article about his younger brother making his A grade debut with Brothers where it was mentioned the younger Shaw would be playing with his older brother Liam.

Interpretation: banjo whackers call first grade "A grade" and second grade "reserve grade". I don't know why, ask them.

F

formeropenside

Liam Shaw did OK in the ARC for Melbourne. Often played 30 mins off the bench rather than started but always was noticeable. A bit lightweight for a S14 lock perhaps though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
McKenzie hands Tahs' to successor

By Jon Geddes
June 12, 2008

THERE was a changing of the guard at New South Wales as outgoing coach Ewen McKenzie met Chris Hickey, the man taking over his job next season.

The pow-wow held in McKenzie's office at NSW Rugby headquarters was a watershed moment for the Waratahs, heralding the dawning of a new era.

In the wake of the dramas surrounding the coaching appointment, what could have been an awkward situation was, in fact, both positive and relaxed.

It was the chance for McKenzie to offer his successor some valuable insights as he hands over the reins after five years at the helm.

"I've known Chris for a long time now, I was involved with him down at the Brumbies in the early days," McKenzie said.

"I've got a lot of time for him, so I thought I would offer him an olive branch to help him out and get going.

"NSW is a big challenge and I've had the longest time here to experience that. It's a bit of a daunting job when you are coming in, so I'm just trying to give him a platform to work from."

Eastwood coach Hickey appreciated the opportunity to engage in the transition and pick McKenzie's brain.

"It's important to understand what has gone on and it obviously has been successful, so it's important to learn from that," Hickey said.

"As a coach I know how he feels - just because you are going you want to make sure there is a strong legacy.

"Sometimes it can be a difficult situation, but Ewen and I have always had a good relationship."

McKenzie emphasised that he was not about telling Hickey what to do or how to play the game.

"It was really to talk about the mechanics of the business," McKenzie said.

"I'm just trying to offer him some thoughts about the personalities and things like that in the playing group, etc.

"It's like any job, there are pressure points, there are critical moments."

Hickey inherits a Waratahs structure far stronger than five years ago, when McKenzie started operating from the boot of his car and out of demountables at Narrabeen.

"From an infrastructure point of view, from an attitude point of view, the quality of the playing group, there is a good mix of young and old," McKenzie said.

"There is a bit of work to be done. A bit of a rebuild in the staff area

is required."

McKenzie can also take satisfaction from the fact that six Waratahs will start in Saturday's Test against Ireland with another four on the bench.

But he is still no closer to finalising his own future.

"I'm doing lots of talking," he said.

Hickey officially takes up his role on July 1 but has wasted no time getting down to business.

"Once the decision is made you get a lot of energy and you feel you really want to get started," he said.

"The playing roster has to be a priority and you can't afford to sit around for too long in that regard."

A second-row replacement for Dan Vickerman and a back-rower to cover the imminent loss of Rocky Elsom are his main targets.

Just a minor challenge :(

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
And good luck going to the supermarket looking for tall timber because there's a lot of empty shelves.

The two professional NSW Academy locks Thompson and Byrnes wouldn't be the worst as reserve locks but we'll need a starter - and there's talk about Caldwell going too; so we may need two.

And someone posted that Byrnes was going to Queensland. Bloody poaching Reds. Typical.

And worse still, we heard that Al Campbell is coming back.

It's the end of the world I tells ya. The end of the world.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Any chance of talking Kanaar out of retirement? Offering him a paper bag full of money and a dozen hookers?

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
Any word on what Van Humphries is doing? Maybe NSW could poach him a second time from the Qlders.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Aussie D said:
Any word on what Van Humphries is doing? Maybe NSW could poach him a second time from the Qlders.

Humphries did play for Hickey at Eastwood.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
How many times has Humphreys been poached? Anyone have the full history of his moves?

F

formeropenside

Do we include Italy and Japan for the poaching history of Van the Man?

I point out that although born in NSW (well, Moree, NSW by a few km) he chose at first to move to Brisbane (far closer to home than Sydney in any event).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
fatprop said:
barbarian said:
Any chance of talking Kanaar out of retirement? Offering him a paper bag full of money and a dozen hookers?

His knees are farked.

Yeah, but surely not for good? Get him operated on by the same guy that did Nick Malceski from the Swans. Make him a new leg for god sake. We farkin need him!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
Two words: Justin, and Harrison.

I watch him play for Ulster. Still pretty damn good.

Recently signed a one year contract for Bath for the next NH season. One of the ARU's biggest fuckups, letting Plank go.

Status
Not open for further replies.