• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Scariest War Dances - Pre Match Rituals

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Agreed, Carlos, Rico and Tana were probably the best 3 since 2000. Will be interested to see who leads it during the world cup, you would imagine it will be Mealamu but I can see Hosea Gear giving him a ran for his money same goes for Nonu, Weepu and Toeava.

To their credit I think Carter, Thorne and McCaw actually do a pretty good job considering it wouldn't be exactly second nature to them.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agreed, Carlos, Rico and Tana were probably the best 3 since 2000. Will be interested to see who leads it during the world cup, you would imagine it will be Mealamu but I can see Hosea Gear giving him a ran for his money same goes for Nonu, Weepu and Toeava.

To their credit I think Carter, Thorne and McCaw actually do a pretty good job considering it wouldn't be exactly second nature to them.
They do. Ali Williams cracks me up though. Just does.

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
Anyone who criticises team for responding to the haka is precious. I hope that if we play nz in the world cup the team walks to the half way line mid-haka. Would be so awesome.

I also liked the bit in Rod Mcqueen's book about how he use to make his team get in a huddle and go over the game plan after the haka had finished, just to delay the kick off that extra minute or two.
I agree with this. It's a challenge and every team should have the right to respond to it the way they like. It's only done for the crowd and viewing publics entertainment anyways.

Sort of on topic but I've told many people that if they want to see a haka and people challenging it with gusto then they'd do well to watch a game between 2 school first xv's in NZ. Quite a lot of teams start the game with their school haka and tbh, most of them shit on the Ka Mate haka

A

Army_Gav

This is a fantastic video of English supporters singing 'Swing Low' at Twickers in response to the Haka:[video=youtube;TnF_hLVs20k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnF_hLVs20k[/video]

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Sort of on topic but I've told many people that if they want to see a haka and people challenging it with gusto then they'd do well to watch a game between 2 school first xv's in NZ. Quite a lot of teams start the game with their school haka and tbh, most of them shit on the Ka Mate haka

Couple of years back when playing schoolboys, we played a Kiwi 1st side in a pre-season tournment style thing. They performed the haka about 2cm infront of our faces, and boy was it good. But as it's only schoolboys, not much respect was given by either side during the ritual.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
This is a fantastic video of English supporters singing 'Swing Low' at Twickers in response to the Haka

Nice vid. Didn't see that, and although I hate the English gotta give their supporters props for that one.

I'm surprised that the French stare down at the 2007 World Cup hasn't cropped up in terms of great responses to the Haka. Top quality.
[video=youtube;pLJ-wxVn1RE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLJ-wxVn1RE&feature=mh_lolz&list=FLKTjvfSGw3bQ[/video]

However, I don't even know if this is legal anymore after happaned last year at the women's World Cup with the Wallaroos getting a fine for doing the same thing? Apparently the IRB has a rule, must stay behind your 10m line and stand stock still? WTF? I still can't believe there hasn't been more worldwide outcry about this. NZ can issue a challenge, but every other team can not reply.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...nks-before-bledisloe-test-20100909-153c9.html

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)
Nice vid. Didn't see that, and although I hate the English gotta give their supporters props for that one.

I'm surprised that the French stare down at the 2007 World Cup hasn't cropped up in terms of great responses to the Haka. Top quality.
[video=youtube;pLJ-wxVn1RE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLJ-wxVn1RE&feature=mh_lolz&list=FLKTjvfSGw3bQ[/video]

However, I don't even know if this is legal anymore after happaned last year at the women's World Cup with the Wallaroos getting a fine for doing the same thing? Apparently the IRB has a rule, must stay behind your 10m line and stand stock still? WTF? I still can't believe there hasn't been more worldwide outcry about this. NZ can issue a challenge, but every other team can not reply.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...nks-before-bledisloe-test-20100909-153c9.html

IRB are scared it's gonna ruin the 'spectacle' i suspect. If anything it's gonna increase the tension and in turn build the atnosphere right up. I'm all for it just as long as neither team crosses the halfway line

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i had an idea last world cup and i repeat it, during the bledisloe this year, cap a player who isnt going to make the world cup squad, have him advance during the Haka and punch someone in the nose. the interest in rugby in this country will be at fever pitch within a week.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

Probably to stop this happening during the face off.

[video=youtube;WhyxfmoSxOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhyxfmoSxOA[/video]

J

Jay

Toeava is a fairly junior player and not Maori, so it's unlikely he will. They do tend to prefer a Maori player leading the haka and the more senior the better, so it's probably Weepu as first option and then Hosea. The others would be a bit left field.

As regards Carter, McCaw & Thorn - high school first XV's in NZ all have their own haka that they'll do before their bigger matches, as do age grade NZ rep sides so Carter & McCaw would have had a fair amount of experience before making the AB's.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Not sure giving them clubs and other weapons is really a great idea! Bit more butch than Waltzing Matilda though.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I know it doesn't generate the spark that the Haka does, but I really like Waltzing Matilda. I think it was great during the Bledisloe last year with John Williamson leading it.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
We could all sing khe Shan before a game or would that be bogan?

Seriously, we should just have the music and let the crowd belt out the national anthem. No disrespect but I find the way those northern hemisphere nations belt out their anthems far more inspiring and challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.