• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Podslam..some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Right - PODSLAM #1 2013 is ON tonight.

What we'd like are your predictions for the Super rugby year ahead WITH REASONING.

It could be about how the conference or comp ladder will end up, or it could be about a player or event - general or obscure, let us have em.

Serious ones far more likely to get through - only so many piss-takey ones we can get through.

Cheers,

Gags

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think Aussie rugby is going in the right direction. Look at the tests last year. We were woeful however still managed to win some big games. Mainly against England at twicks.

I can honestly see all the Aussie franchises competing this year. The force have a new platform to start from and a lot of guys that want to have a crack. There seams to be a new belief there.

The brumbies and reds have a real good chance of making the finals this year and it would be great too see 2 aussie teams make the finals. I personally can't wait to see what lilo has to offer after an amazing season last year and who can honestly say they are not interested to see how Quade goes.

I don't think the tahs have everything sorted out yet and some early injures are going to make the first quarter of the season very hard. They should perform. Lets see if foley was holding the team back. I don't think so personally. I hope drew has a killer year.

I haven't followed the rebels much in the off season but with JOC (James O'Connor) waiting to busy out the blocks after a long time off this could be a good year. If he an beal stay on the field they might go alright.

Top 6 for me will be.

Stormers
Reds
Chiefs
Blues (interesting pick)
Brumbies
Sharks.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
The 1st clash between the Reds and Tahs will be a cracker.
I predict it will be a throw back to the old state clashes.
Cheika will send his mob out fit and hard and playing in your face, abrasive rugby. The Tahs will not be 'out passioned' in playing for their state.
Link will be anticipating an ambush and conscious of winning early against his only real Aussie rival for the Wallaby coaching role.
If that's not enough, spots are up for grabs with the Lions tour and these 2 teams should dominate selections.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I know it's bat shit crazy but Auckland had a great itm cup. It's a Shame guys like Anscombe, Mathewson and Parkes are not in the s15 side however with guys like Piutau, ranger( who is due a good year if he can get some Consistency),Willison, Noaks, weepu, Luke braid, Moli, Boric, Williams, Faumuina, Mealamu it's not a bad looking side. They will need to get the defence right and if they can do that they will go well. They had a terrible season last year but the year before that made the finals. They have always been a good side. John Kirwin as coach. Should do a great job.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The Aust conference will be tight this year.

I think the Reds will top the table on the back of a revitalised Quade and genuine pressure of some of the younger guys in the squad making the match day 22 very strong.
The Tah's will finish off strong a pip the Brumbies for 2nd place in Aust. They will play entertaining attacking rugby and will have a forward pack that takes no prisoners.
Brumbies in 3rd and will push a lot of the top teams. Lilio and To'omua to cement the 10-12 pairing and cause all sorts of problems for other teams.
The Rebels will have a solid year and will push to be in the top 10 in the comp. Will be much more consistent in 2013.
Force will be happy that the Kings are in the comp to keep them off the bottom of the table. They will develop some young players but won't be able to cause any real pressure on other teams without Sharpe and Pocock.

The top 3 teams will be close but the Rebels and Force off the pace.

Reds
Tah's
Brumbies
Rebels
Force

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Aus Conference
Brumbies - any team that get's Pocock is doing well, combined with a young team that know what Jake White wants.
Reds - Not sure they'll be the same team without Genia in the early stages
Tahs - Have promised much before and delivered little but hopefully Cheika can sort them out with his no nonsense approach
Rebels - KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) are the main men but their depth is a problem
Force - Losing Sharpie and Pocock will be too big a gap to fill.

SA Conference-
Stormers - won CC in 2012 and have recruited well
Shorks - Had a strong finish in 2012 and have a good draw
Blou Bulle - Should stick to playing rugby and not sing - look at their video for what I mean
Die Cheetahs - Just lost Juan Smith to retirement which a huge blow, if Goosen stays fit they will be competitive at home.
Daylight....
Kings - new boys will get smashed. I fear for what could happen to them.

NZ Conference
Chiefs - Reigning champions haven't lost too many players and have key areas returning
Crusaders - Have gone too long between titles and have a good squad if they can stay fit. Will miss McCaw initially but Matt Todd can do the job.
Highlanders - Any team that recruits Ma'a Nonu and Brad Thorn will do well
Hurricanes - Lost Cory Jane to an ACL injury but do have some exciting players in Andre Taylor and Julian Savea waiting at the back if they can get the ball.
Blues - John Kirwan has a big job to turn around from last years disaster and have lost too many players and Mealamu's rest will hurt.

There, I've said it...

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hey Gagger, love the podslam but could I put a request in to remind your panelists about keeping quiet on an open mike. Just listen to the first few minutes of your interview with Stu. Or are you trying to be unprofessional?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Ha yes - Stu was a bit fidgety. I put it down to the ref hand signals he was making during the convo

Reactions: mjw
Status
Not open for further replies.