• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Podslam..some ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Nick Farr-Jones Chairman NSWRU
Discuss Waratah turmoil, SRU relationship, $1m Balmain Competition, Relationship with Waratah Inc, ABC coverage of Shute Shield, Plans for growth in the West, Plans for 2013/14,

He spoke well in the Radio Sport NZ piece someone posted in the QC (Quade Cooper) telling it like it is thread.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Oh Snap...I was doing some gardening today and was just thinking I would love to gear Gits take on the current situation of Australian Rugby. I'll be tuning into that one.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
khoder nasser

That's a good suggestion actually as the recent GAGR blog essay re KN by the anonymous 'leftarmspinner' was an appalling jumble of unsupported bile, pure speculation and conjecture, bereft of any verified facts, negative at every turn in that no consideration was given to the possibility that KN's player clients may have decided themselves which options they wished to pursue vs the asserted-as-fact notion that KN more or less dominated their every decision, etc.

The piece was just denunciation and vilification of KN. I won't make it here, but there's at least a moderate and rational argument that KN has done a fine job with SBW's interests (from SBW's perspective vs that of rugby purists) when his recent progression, playing in a RWC etc., is considered. The argued notion that QC (Quade Cooper)'s non-signing of an ARU contract was unquestionably all KN's manipulative puppeteer doing is pure conjecture and I have it on good authority that that delay is far more complicated than this simplistic picture asserts (again stated by leftarm as absolute fact).

GAGR should absolutely give KN (and/or QC (Quade Cooper)/SBW) a right of reply to that essay as it was borderline defamatory and made far worse by its courage-less anonymity.

dave

Stan Wickham (3)
I'd love to hear from Grumbles. Or some other rugby journalist about the ethics and habits of rugby journalism and what goes on behind the scenes. I know you guys at GaGR can shed some light on this as well but to hear it from a person that has been covering rugby from a time when we were moderately successful would be a good listen.

I'd also be interested to hear from Nasser. I don't like your chances though. He does seem to be the man behind the scenes as he doesn't often (if at all?) front the media. Has he stepped forward to take any pressure off Quade? I don't think so. They may ultimately be Quade's decisions but I'm sure he hasn't come up with them all by himself. I would have thought a manager's job is to also manage the image of his clients. He doesn't seem to be doing an all too valiant job re QC (Quade Cooper). Whether he'd be willing to answer these types of questions on a podcast would be interesting but I fear ultimately illusionary.

RedsHappy you write:
There's at least a moderate and rational argument that KN has done a fine job with SBW's interests.
I don't think that's in any doubt. But the inform SBW is an easy sell. QC (Quade Cooper) on the other hand is a different story. What people are questioning, as did the article, is whether such "ultimatum" player management is hurting the respective games. And what the article also highlights is the very real pattern of Nasser's management. Which seems to be piss off the institution you are currently in, threaten to leave it for a rival institution, or actually leave it, and in between do some boxing. Seems like the article rose some interesting points of debate. And it was an opinion piece after all and hardly defamatory.

Courage-less anonymity "RedsHappy"?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
No Podslam this week?

Yeah, just didn't happen - a mixture of life getting in the way and players battening down the hatches

On the KN piece - what about all the opinion pieces we've written giving the ARU a serve, using nothing but second hand sources, speculation and pure observation? They didn't seem to rile you the same way RH

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Come on "Scoop" Gagger, you have a fine record of luminary guests to maintain.

How about Mark Arbib and/or Peter Cosgrove?

The subject - Obvious.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
Meant to post this last week after listening to the podcast, but well done on the podcast guys. Good Wanging..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The most obvious Podslam guest would be Ensign Pulveriser.

Other suggestions from above:
Grumbles - Life after SMH.
Mark Arbib - Governance
Kick Too Farr Jones

How about some of these for the future:

Aussie Steve Walsh - Referees Perspective
Simon Poidevin - Seems to be getting some column inches
Brad Thorn - What challenges remain
Jake White -
Bob Dwyer - State of the Nation, Mens Health
Greg Harris - RUPA CEO
Tim Gavin - Grass Roots rugby outside the metropolitan areas
Kevin Gosper - Olympic Rugby 7's
David Nucifora - What is next
Ron Mancell - role of TMO, and referee development

The Rant

Fred Wood (13)
best way to improve them: Make em 3hours !!

and never invite that 'poorly thought through' bloke back...

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I would love them to go a bit longer. Most pod casts I listen to go for 1 and a half or 2 hours. Is there going to be a preview for this weekend an the season?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Wouldn't mind getting AWH back on now that he is President of RUPA.

I quite like Sam Ikin so I'd invite him back.

I would also like to hear from Bruce Ross about how things are done at SURC. They are the bench mark for club rugby in Australia, not just on the filed but off it too.

I could also listen to Lee Grant talk about players coming through the ranks and who to keep an eye on.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
What about a schools segment? I'm sure there would be plenty of people who want to listen to it.. and plenty of people who would want to talk about it, myself included

Status
Not open for further replies.