• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The impending Hooper vs Pocock Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Personally I think Pocock is head and shoulders above Hooper at 7.

I don't think Hooper could ever really play 6 or 8.

McCalman is a very good 8.

I would go for Poey at 7 and McCalman at 8 and would find it difficult to have Hooper in the 23 (dare I say it)

They would be better balance for the team.

Although the two of them on the field together somehow helped produce some of the Wallabies best results in years.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Vaea needs to work on his conditioning to be considered for test rugby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To look at him, i'd agree, but he has the highest workrate AND impact of any of the other candidates for 8, and that was playing an average of 65mins in almost every game of the season, his first one back from injury and without even a pre-season to get fit.

He's not going to be ousting Hooper or Pocock from the starting team, but he is the perfect option to set loose with 30mins to go, the 30mins the Wallabies have struggled most with when it comes to maintaining any forward dominance or getting over the advantage line.

Rub pepper on his jockstrap and slap him around a bit in the changerooms, get him really steaming, then unleash the Tongan meat tornado.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Personally I think Pocock is head and shoulders above Hooper at 7.

I don't think Hooper could ever really play 6 or 8.

McCalman is a very good 8.

I would go for Poey at 7 and McCalman at 8 and would find it difficult to have Hooper in the 23 (dare I say it)

They would be better balance for the team.

Did you watch any of the Rugby World Cup?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Although the two of them on the field together somehow helped produce some of the Wallabies best results in years.

True, absolutely true - but who knows what might have been. An optimist might say we could have won the RWC by 20 with that combination (and I say that with a smile on my face )

So, it might have been better with McCalman and Poey

This is a new year, the coach bears no allegiances to any franchise or players (whether real or perceived) and I think we will see an odd change or two.

This is just one that I would like to see.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I reckon Cheika has a pretty good idea what he gets from McCalman, Pocock, Palu etc as 8s, Hooper or Pocock at 7 and Fardy at 6. But more importantly he had a combo that worked to achieve what he wanted it to achieve. As ever, people get hung up on each dish on the table rather than the full meal and wine and how they complement each other. His strength is in bucking orthodoxy and dancing to his own tune, and witness how Pocock, Hooper and Fardy did that for him on the biggest stage. It wasn't just brainwashed Wallaby fans who thought it worked. Despite all the bleating that Hooper isn't a seven.
Sure, he could have tried Fardy, Pocock, McCalman, and he had the chance, but for some reason he didn't. I find it hard to imagine it would have been demonstrably better.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The better back row is most definitely Fardy, Hooper, Pocock. The only difference is Hooper for McCalman. Fardy and Pocock will still play essentially the same role irrespective of the third player.

Hooper is streets ahead of McCalman in running metres, line breaks, off loads and probably in tackling as well. Lineout takes might be the one and only place where McCalman could outshine Hooper, but so long as there are three other jumpers in the pack, which rules out Skelton in my book, that is a skill that isn't really needed in the No 8. Therefore, Hooper wins hands down.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would be nice for Cheika to be looking for a hard running/tackling/linking/lineout jumping 8 to fill in when Poey goes on holiday.
We could revert to a more traditional back row and strengthen our lineout.
Who knows if both Poet and Hooper will be around/fit in 2019.
Jed Halloway looks a decent prospect.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The best backrow is still hands down

Fardy
Hooper
Pocock

It's the bench that's up for grabs.

Yep. It's been our most effective backrow since the days of T Kefu.

The old theory that you can't play two sevens isn't evidence. It's been disproved.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yep. It's been our most effective backrow since the days of T Kefu.

The old theory that you can't play two sevens isn't evidence. It's been disproved.

Probably correct Groucho.

Of course you can play 2 sevens, or 2 eights as well.

I just think Pocock is by far the better 7 and should play there. No question re Fardy at 6.
Hooper is a workhorse, runs the ball generally wide and not through the piggies. I think he now pushes a bit more at scrum time instead of being a seagull. The bloke has the most amazing aerobic capacity of any player I have seen.

Suppose we all have to wait until those mid year tests.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The old theory was based on two alike 7's (Smith and Waugh) - Pocock and Hooper are chalk and cheese, comparatively.

Exactly, which is why we could potentially also field McMahon/Pocock, but not necessarily Hooper/McMahon..........

With Pocock and Gill going away next year I don't think we'll see dual opensides in 2017............

The argument then in favour of Vaea is that we're simply fielding one non-lineout option for another, albeit with a different skillset..........

However, he'll need to replicate the form of last year and increase his fitness to get in the frame.........

Holloway also looking pretty good at the Tahs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
When is the last time a Wallaby number 8 played a better test at number 8 than Pocock did in the Rugby Championship or RWC?

What exactly changed in Pocock's game in terms of doing the things he does and should do as a 7 compared to when he played at 8? I couldn't really see anything.

The only change for mine was that he ran crash ball in the midfield when we had a lineout throw.

Both Pocock and Hooper have routinely been amongst the best players in the team when only one was playing. The fact that continued when both were playing was surely testament to the fact it worked.

If Pocock is also our best 8 and it allows us to pick a 7 who is also a hugely influential player on a consistent basis, I don't see why you would do something different.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Probably correct Groucho.

Of course you can play 2 sevens, or 2 eights as well.

I just think Pocock is by far the better 7 and should play there. No question re Fardy at 6.
Hooper is a workhorse, runs the ball generally wide and not through the piggies. I think he now pushes a bit more at scrum time instead of being a seagull. The bloke has the most amazing aerobic capacity of any player I have seen.

Suppose we all have to wait until those mid year tests.

I tend to disagree Scrubber. Playing your best 6, best 7 and best 8 sounds obviously right, but it's like putting all your favourite ingedients in a recipe, rather than those which work best together.

Status
Not open for further replies.