• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The fundamental problem with Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Brumbies vs Rebels game tonight has underlined an issue that has been niggling me for quite some time now. Before I begin to fully dissect, I must add the disclaimer that I am venting.

Time and time again we see Australian encounters as 'dour'. Common themes present in Australian derbies include:

• Poor tactical kicking
  • Poor Accuracy at the breakdown
  • Limited use of width
  • Inability or unwillingness to back your abilities
  • Constant infringement
  • Lack of continuity
  • Poor decision making
The yardstick is obviously New Zealand games. A simple glance at any NZ vs NZ game usually results in an example of how basic skills should be executed. Unfortunately, this is currently not the case with Australian teams. Rather than aspiring to the skill level of NZ teams, Australian teams (and fans) will construct narratives as to how NZ teams are different. This difference is attributed to the integration of rugby into NZ culture.

To me, the disparity of skill execution between NZ and Australian games is a direct result of our acceptance of mediocrity. This is not a conscious acceptance, rather a cultural acceptance. We admit to ourselves that NZ is better than us in rugby. And so the wheel turns.

Basic skill execution is a plague on Australian rugby. All of the above points listed are a direct result of attitude and execution. The problem is, Australian rugby players don't lack skill, relative to their counterparts (again I will use NZ, as they are a benchmark, and a point of convenience). Individual skills one for one are par. Where Australia lacks is in the execution of these skills. Although I have not checked the statistics, I would bet that Australian handling errors would far outweigh the tallies of our NZ and SA counterparts in the super 15. If correlated, I am sure that this would indicate that our collective skills are not up to standard. I define collective skills as the skill and execution of basic rugby on a team level. Additionally, our lack of execution in indirect skills (tactical kicking, gain line, decisions made in certain territorial positions, cleanout effectiveness) results in poorly executed rugby.

I would argue that Australian rugbys' lack of skill execution goes beyond coaching mechanisms. Collective skill execution is a result of an institutional problem. The institutional problem has not arisen from a single issue. Mass exposure, grass roots, internal politics and acceptance of mediocrity have all contributed to the institutional problem now faced by Australian rugby. The execution of skills is a direct result.

This has not always been the case. Australian rugby has always been marginalised in the wider community. However, the coping mechanisms coupled with generational players contributed to an increase of collective skills. How many times have a number of us (who are old enough) yearn for the Larkham pass, the Gregan spirit, the Eales lineout dominance, the Kearns tenacity, the Ella brothers ingenuity and the Campese brilliance? Yes, these, and many more, were generational players. The key difference is that that calibre of player also possessed collective skills. They executed their individual skillsets in a team environment.

Many of Australias' current players possess similar skill sets. However, as a result of institutional problems, they do not execute their individual skills. How many of us have rued a player kicking the ball when he should have run, the poor pass from the back of the ruck, the kick out on the full, the knock on at the ruck, ruck turnovers, passing the ball in an overlap, etc?

Australian players lack the agency to execute their individual skills nowadays, as they lack collective skills. The passive acceptance of mediocrity facilitates an untenable situation. We like to compare ourselves to the worlds best (NZ), yet fail to heed the lessons that they, and our own past, throw at us.

Well, that's my vent. It could be a combination of alcohol (caused by a elation of finally not having to study for a week!) and my indifference to the ongoing mediocre Australian derby encounters. I will accept any and all critiques and insights, as I know my rantings are not perfect.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with Mr Richthofen. But a major galring difference between the Australians and NZ isn't in the individual abilities, though in many cases individual execution is woeful. The major component to the difference IMO is the lack of team play from Australian sides. There is little urgency to realign and back-up and it is very rarely seen. Three weeks ago against the Crusaders Beale did it multiple times and scored or set up players by doing so. I think the Crusaders were simply stunned that an Australian player actually did what they see from their compatriots all the time so much so they failed to react. If you dispute this provide an example of an Australian player handling twice by working hard to back up (not a forward please working hard off short passes in a 5 metre channel) in the same movement without a breakdown in play of a momentum killing ruck.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree with Mr Richthofen. But a major galring difference between the Australians and NZ isn't in the individual abilities, though in many cases individual execution is woeful. The major component to the difference IMO is the lack of team play from Australian sides. There is little urgency to realign and back-up and it is very rarely seen. Three weeks ago against the Crusaders Beale did it multiple times and scored or set up players by doing so. I think the Crusaders were simply stunned that an Australian player actually did what they see from their compatriots all the time so much so they failed to react. If you dispute this provide an example of an Australian player handling twice by working hard to back up (not a forward please working hard off short passes in a 5 metre channel) in the same movement without a breakdown in play of a momentum killing ruck.

The Brumbies were doing this before Lilo was injured...

I can't wait for the break for Larkham to hopefully introduce these kinds of elements back into their backline play...

J

Jiggles

The key problem, for mine, which is probably overreaching more than anything specific is the acceptance and justification of mediocracy and the nepotism that makes this acceptable.

P

Paradox

The Brumbies have lost all the width in their game since Lealiifano got injured. You can tell that via the lack of involvement of the back 3.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
If Australian teams display good skills against foreign teams, but poor skills in local derbies, then the problem isn't the skills, but the derbies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Because Rugby in NZ is of such cultural importance they demand perfection, and realisitcally NZ rugby reaches an unnatural high level consistently.

If you want to see the same thing in Australia, to reach those lofty heights it would have to rise to the same cultural importance as it is in NZ.

The ways to achieve this would be though excellent administration and grassroots compaign to provide a culture shift, which is unlikely due to the ARU being an old boys club who seem comfortable with their market share and have barely evolved in the face of professionalism.

Either that or just make League illegal....

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
The Wallabies are the distant No. 2 team in the world. We have the skills.

Over the last decade, NZ have had the best player in the game (McCaw), the best 10 (Carter) and since 2004, they have had a consistently strong front five among the in the game. That's why they have beaten the Wallabies so consistently.

A good tight 5, and a great 10 will usually go along way to winning most game if you have the supporting players.

There is nothing wrong with the Aussie game except depth. A few key injuries cripples us more than most.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
And our backs a midgets. Where are the 105 Kg centres?
you know there's more than one way to win a rugby game right?

An extra 5kg at 100kg, is 5% more weight. Extra weight in a back makes it harder to accelerate, harder to step, requires more effort to carry around and provides slightly more inertia.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We have some - Inman, Carter, Mortlock but their bulk does not make up for other parameters. Cummins looked likely, but apparently not to the powers that be.
Anyway, I agree with Schadenfreude that bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. If they can bust the line, make an offload, draw and pass and tackle, they'll do.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I've always thought it might have something to do with the coaches thinking that Aussie derbies were the main matches they had an excellent chance of edging the forward battle and therefore they keep it tight. "Dour" rugby ensues. Against saffer and kiwi teams they don't (tahs excepted) expect more than parity in the forwards, so they rely on their backs to win games. Which, in respect to the OP, would make the kiwis perfectionists and the aussies pragmatists.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Inman, Mortlock, Sidey, Carter, Andrew Smith. Yeah there aren't any big backs in Oz. Another myth. Big doesn't mean good. Nemani Nadolo was a big winger and he was pretty poor in all facets unless he had a one on one and time to get up to speed.

The only really big centres Oz has ever succefully fielded were Herbert(s) and Morty and they were extremely talented to boot.

Sorry reacted before I read Cyclo's post. JUst take this as an agree.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Andrew Smith is 104kg. There are plenty of big backs around. We should be happy that we have players who are skillful enough to keep them out of the team despite being smaller.

There are plenty of potential All Black backline selections where Nonu is the only man over 100kg. The Boks by contrast have potential selections where the only man under 100kg is the halfback. I'd rather we played like the ABs than the Bokke.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Size in the backs doesn't make up for weaknesses in skill, smarts or pace IMHO. Sure, we should have a couple of big blokes in there to bend the line, but we can't have them all that way, unless we want to become England. If that ever happens, I'll stop watching the Wallabies play.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Wallabies are the distant No. 2 team in the world. We have the skills.

Over the last decade, NZ have had the best player in the game (McCaw), the best 10 (Carter) and since 2004, they have had a consistently strong front five among the in the game. That's why they have beaten the Wallabies so consistently.

A good tight 5, and a great 10 will usually go along way to winning most game if you have the supporting players.

There is nothing wrong with the Aussie game except depth. A few key injuries cripples us more than most.

Good coaching is also required. The All Blacks have had the best in the business over that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.