• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The fundamental problem with Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jiggles

I think you got to ask questions regarding the criteria for selection when its deemed necessary that 40 players are selected in a squad and underperforming or nonperforming players like Barnes, Horne, Ashley-Cooper, Ma'afu, Harris, Vuna, Alexander, Morahan and Timani are likely to get a gold jumper at some stage.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
It's funny that many kiwis I spoke to regard the 1999-2004 era as a dark time for NZ rugby, where try as they might the wallabies kept pipping them.

I wonder if it's a mental thing/coaching thing? Who were the kiwi coaches during those years?

J

Jiggles

John Hart (75%), Wayne Smith (70%), and John Mitchell (82%) were head coaches. funnily enough they all have better strike rates than Deans. The difference between these coaches and Deans was that these coaches didn't loose games like Scotland, Samoa, Ireland at a neutral venue or at home to England.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think you got to ask questions regarding the criteria for selection when its deemed necessary that 40 players are selected in a squad and underperforming or nonperforming players like Barnes, Horne, Ashley-Cooper, Ma'afu, Harris, Vuna, Alexander, Morahan and Timani are likely to get a gold jumper at some stage.

Horne's last 4 games have been much better than his start to the season, he's scored a try in each but I'm surprised you missed the biggest selection joke of all - Caderyn Neville making a squad after 4 Super rugby caps.

J

Jiggles

Despite his try's which have been mostly just finishing, which shouldn't be underrated as a skill. His general play, like supporting his team mates in attack, and his defensive alignment is still rubbish.

You're right that is a big oversight on my behalf. I have short odds on him being Deans new pet project, regardless of form he will get at least 30 caps.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
John Hart (75%), Wayne Smith (70%), and John Mitchell (82%) were head coaches. funnily enough they all have better strike rates than Deans. The difference between these coaches and Deans was that these coaches didn't loose games like Scotland, Samoa, Ireland at a neutral venue or at home to England.

Sorry, I have to say that your comparisons are just ridiculous. By far the biggest determinant for coaching success is the quality of the playing stock. New Zealand has always produced more quality players than we have, except for brief periods when an Eales or similar freakish talent appears on the scene.

Plus the New Zealand rugby culture is tougher than ours, always has been, probably always will be.

J

Jiggles

Sorry, I have to say that your comparisons are just ridiculous. By far the biggest determinant for coaching success is the quality of the playing stock. New Zealand has always produced more quality players than we have, except for brief periods when an Eales or similar freakish talent appears on the scene.

Plus the New Zealand rugby culture is tougher than ours, always has been, probably always will be.

I think your reply is just ridiculous, to be honest. When have I ever said NZ Rugby does not have depth?

Vanuatu Chiefs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Greatly looking forward to the Junior World Championship in SA. Plenty of talent on display by these exciting aspiring Wallabies. Liam Gill will lead the way. Although depth will always be a problem given the competing winter codes in Oz, slowly the ARU's development programmes are bearing fruit. I expect these youngsters to execute their skills in a manner that "TRB's vent" identifies often plagues our senior ranks.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Can we also have a rule in Oz rugby where if the half back is late arriving or caught in the ruck things don't go to shit. You know like someone else pass the ball instead.....and QUICKLY instead of waiting to get counter-rucked!

FairWeatherAussie

Ted Fahey (11)
Australia's problem is depth. We are quite lucky to have a number of very talented players in our first string. Pocock, Genia, Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Cooper, Mitchell, Moore, Robinson etc. However after our first string we drop off very, very quickly.

I think it is a bit of an indictment of the depth of Australian rugby that we are selecting players like Ma'afu (shite), Vuna (defensively shite), Mogg (green, good not great) and Neville (5 games of Super rugby!), where-as in NZ players like Fruene, Ranger and Jason Eaton don't even get into their training squads. Depth is a huge problem in Australian rugby!

Status
Not open for further replies.