• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
From the CEO of FoxSports

Amid intense competition for viewers from moneyed-up rival codes like the NRL and AFL as well as a rejuvenated A-league, Mr Delany believes the Rugby World Cup could provide a catalyst for change, igniting interest in the sport among adult viewers and increased participation at the grassroots level.

“We are hoping that the Rugby World Cup restarts rugby. We feel very optimistic about this. Sport runs on hope and optimism. Australia always lifts on the world stage and punches above its weight. I really believe in the Wallabies.”

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Yes I agree the Timezone isn't helpful.

I believe winning the Bledisloe two years in a row would do more for rugby here than the a RWC victory, but bringing home Bill would certainly help!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Thought they did have the Currie Cup.

Anyway, dunno about the domestic comps, but think BeIN have done their standard gobble up the Asia Pacific region rights for the Champions and Challenge Cups.

T

TOCC

Japan World Cup will be fantastic for Australia given the timezones, but yeah the England RWC won't be braking any ratings records

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I saw a pic about it on WWOS instagram yesterday....

The games will be broadcast on GEM. I'll probably just watch the Fox coverage anyway

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What a shock. Buy it then bury it.

Meh. Did it last time as well - delayed the opening game because NRL finals.

At least if its on GEM (I say again: thank fuck) then they can play any clashes for their little game on the main channel.

I thought you'd be happy - after all isn't league what you want rugby to be?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)

At least if its on GEM (I say again: thank fuck) then they can play any clashes for their little game on the main channel.

I don't think they play NRL finals at 1 o'clock in the morning anyway.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Not sure what people expect, nine will be investing in promotion in proportion to what they think they will get in return from interested advertisers - in this case pretty much nothing.

Especially when major games are on at 2am and 5am.

They only bought the rights for 2015 because they were packaged up with the 2011 event.

It's just about the worst possible timezone. They'll probably show them in SD on Nine too, because they are required to show Wallaby games on the main channel under the anti-siphoning legislation (they can get an exemption, but at those time-slots why would they bother?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

I want rugby to be what it used to be, popular in this country.

At its peak of popularity, scrums were usually just a restart - I struggle to remember games that were won or lost just because of the scrummaging prowess (real or imagined by the referee), or games that featured continuous up and unders or rolling mauls. The average punter had some idea of what was going on at the breakdown.

By the way, perhaps you have missed it, but the Laws of the Game have changed enormously over the years and, gasp, quite a few of our innovations come from loig. I am simply pointing out that there are some areas of glaring weakness in the current laws which mitigate against our best interests as a rugby playing nation. That has fark all to do with loig, other than the inescapable fact that their game is easier for the punters to watch and understand. Comprehend?

Perhaps we should go back to the days of kicking out on the full from anywhere, 3 point tries, goals from the mark, no substitutes after half time, and no lifting in the lineout.

That is even less like loig.

RunnerGunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
From an outsider's perspective looking in with interest - blaming the rules is a load of nonsense. Rugby is not unique in having issues with rules and professionalism bringing in cynical acts like what happened to the scrum a few years ago. Soccer has had some dreadful periods with some shocking football played, most major tournaments from the quarters on are utter tripe. League has had wrestling. The NBA had the Hack-a-shaq. Baseball has the increased amount of time faffing around by pitchers.

The point has been made over and over. The ARU have a pyramid, top down strategy which relies on one team's success to feed growth for the whole sport. This strategy just emerged naturally with the flow of the sport from 1995 with professionalism and the international game being so popular. It wasn't necessarily the worst idea in the context of Australian sport- at the time there was no real other winter sport side representing Australia at the top level and international rugby in the NH generates widespread interest which pays.

For that strategy to work long term though you need smoothing of revenue in the good times to the bad times. You have to take cycles as a reality. Seemingly the ARU pissed a lot of money up the wall on player's salaries in the early to mid 2000s. The ARU have been unlucky in that the down cycle coincided with the Global Financial Crisis, currency pressures and the NZRU perfecting their professional base to such a degree that no other rugby union on earth could get close for 10 years. Next time they need to be smarter but they won't be as unlucky.

The All Blacks will inevitably decline and Australia will become more competitive in the Bledisloe. That will feed interest. People are bandwagoners at heart, that is shown the world over. It's easy to get down on yourselves when you see the NRL and AFL going so well, but there is no other way for them when they operate a domestic league structure.

There were plenty of people waiting in the long grass when the Wallabies inevitably declined from the early 2000s. You can't make statements like the ARU CEO did about dominating rugby league and not see them react with glee when the team takes a nose dive, and hammer the sport as well.

It looks like if the ARU can weather the next few months things will be looking up for them from 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.