• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

The Awful Truth About The ARU's Financial Position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You are right, but this cut is to top up match payments, not salary.

The market does determine the payments to a degree. I just wonder about the motivation of someone in the National team who would shun the honour based on a reduction of their "bonus". It might be a bit unfair to ask this much of the players but as I mentioned (poorly) previously, will their be much of a game to represent and pay them if all the money runs out.

I doubt any players would opt out initially, but I don't really think that is the point.

Wallabies like other areas of the game have taken a pay cut because finances are in a poor position. Presumably the ARU came up with a number that they thought could work.

Why should they take another paycut? It needs to be remembered that the Wallabies are the source of the bulk of the ARU's revenue. They need to be fairly paid based on the revenue they generate which is how the EBA works.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Just wondering, anyone out there to do with commercial real estate. Could there be a reasonable benfit of relocating offices from St Leonards?

One location that springs to mind is Epping. Just here me out.;) With the Northern line, Maquaire Park line and soon to be Norwest line, Epping will be a transport hub. It has easier access to the M2 (making it more accessible to western sydney) and is closer to Homebush. It would also be within spitting distance of the new upgraded TG Milner facility. And it's surely got to be cheaper than St Leonards.

I'm sure there's many other locations, even (especially) outside of Sydney. Maybe a new thread on where the ARU could be located to give best value for money.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They only renovated the place recently. I would suggest that the cost to relocate would outweigh any savings in rent.

Also, they have a lease for the premises at St Leonards for another four or five years. I doubt they would move prior to that expiring.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought the TG Milner facility is going to become the ARU headquarters when it's finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought the TG Milner facility is going to become the ARU headquarters when it's finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it will house the corporate offices. It's mostly going to be the high performance centre.

"The Australian Rugby Development Centre will feature an indoor pool, gym, IT and analysis centre, altitude training room and onsite accommodation."

T

TOCC

They only renovated the place recently. I would suggest that the cost to relocate would outweigh any savings in rent.

Also, they have a lease for the premises at St Leonards for another four or five years. I doubt they would move prior to that expiring.

Rent is around $1.5million/annum according to an article in The Australian the other day..

It would have made a lot of sense to include corporate faculties within the new ARU facility at TG Milner.. I had actually assumed that was the case.

T

TOCC

With regards to Super Rugby finances. I'm aware they're separate from the ARU, how much money is spent on training and playing gear for players and officials etc. with so many different jerseys and training shirts. Looking at the papers they seem to always be wearing something different.

It costs about $10-12K to fit out a Senior Rugby Club with 4 teams. That's shorts, socks, jersey, training shirts and polo. Each of which has to last the whole year.

I'm aware that there's a need for certain amount of kit and I don't begrudge anyone doing it. And there could be sweetheart deals for the apparel company's for the association with the professional Clubs. But if the game is in as much financial trouble as we are told then savings could possibly be found in the seemingly excessive amounts of clothing players are provided with.

Just thinking.

Kooga/BLK/Canterbury/ASICS all pay 6 figure sums to be the apparel provider of these teams, part of the agreement also includes a percentage of all merchandise sales of those products, but ultimately the apparel providers are paying for the marketing.. The cost of providing the kit to the team is inclusive with the contract.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Rugby Central is putting out some ideas. Some may work, some may not.

Please don't crucify him.

Thank you Boyo.

It's all good. Crusifixion will suit what my wife calls my Jesus complex.:D I get passionate sometimes and rationality is not always at the fore. I love putting out the ideas and hopefully getting support or criticism. The hope is somebody with influence might see what the supporters are thinking and act on it.

For example, I'm fairly certain I read somewhere in Gaggerland that SS should do more about 7's. Low and behold there was a 7's series last year. Can't prove the link but I like to think somebody's paying attention.

It doesn't matter if they're serious suggestions, brain explosions or sarcastic digs at the establishment; as long as those who love the game are constently talking about ways to improve it. It can only be a benefit to Australian rugby as the good ideas are sorted from the bad and progress is made.

Or at the very least we're all entertained talking about the game we love.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
Kooga/BLK/Canterbury/ASICS all pay 6 figure sums to be the apparel provider of these teams, part of the agreement also includes a percentage of all merchandise sales of those products, but ultimately the apparel providers are paying for the marketing.. The cost of providing the kit to the team is inclusive with the contract.

Thanks TOCC

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Kooga/BLK/Canterbury/ASICS/Classic

Fixed :)

does get you thinking about rationalizing the amount of apparel providers, similar to what NZ did all those years ago with the All Blacks and Super teams. I would of thought there would be good commercial sense in rationalizing down to one tender it ever few years to get best value.

the baz

Alfred Walker (16)
Just wondering, anyone out there to do with commercial real estate. Could there be a reasonable benfit of relocating offices from St Leonards?

One location that springs to mind is Epping. Just here me out.;) With the Northern line, Maquaire Park line and soon to be Norwest line, Epping will be a transport hub. It has easier access to the M2 (making it more accessible to western sydney) and is closer to Homebush. It would also be within spitting distance of the new upgraded TG Milner facility. And it's surely got to be cheaper than St Leonards.

I'm sure there's many other locations, even (especially) outside of Sydney. Maybe a new thread on where the ARU could be located to give best value for money.

Half of the waratahs building is empty - maybe they should move into there - the aru community staff are setup there already.

T

Train Without a Station

Plus people already think that playing for the Waratahs gives you a leg up to the Wallabies anyway...

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
As someone who has on occasion tried to get there by public transport I can state authoritatively that nothing is "within spitting distance of ... TG Milner".

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
As someone who has on occasion tried to get there by public transport I can state authoritatively that nothing is "within spitting distance of . TG Milner".

Lies, Bruce, lies!

Why, there's CSIRO just over the road, including their radio telemetry R&D. Surely that would be a hub for public transport!

And, er, there's Macquarie University Station just a short 30 minute walk away, very convenient if you can spit farther than the relative airspeed of an unladen African swallow. And while over that there, enjoy the unique sensation of shopping in a helix.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As someone who has on occasion tried to get there by public transport I can state authoritatively that nothing is "within spitting distance of . TG Milner".

It is a 6 minute walk to Epping Road, there are bus stops going either to the city, or to Epping Railway Station. Lift your game, Bruce, you sound a bit soft to me.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I must admit that I never knew that a programme such as this was on FTA.

Super Rugby Extra Time is scheduled to air on ONE at 10:30pm on Tuesday 25. It will be replayed at 3pm on 26 Feb. So that's probably how it will broadcast on FTA during the season. It's a good highlights package of the round with an emphasis on games involving the Aus teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.