• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Tahs V Rebels, SFS, April 30 - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
In the Cooper try the scrum had already gone through the 90, but the ref refused to apply the rules. That meant that all the loosies were a good 5-10 metres behind the pass and no hope to get across in cover. One could argue I guess that the Tahs applied the wheel the wrong way, but all match with either ref there was a reluctance to apply the law when it came to the scrum.

agree, but in that instance I dont think the scrum had gone through 90 yet. The real hero of the try was genia in getting the ball out of a very difficult scrum

C

centreman

Hopefully Cipriani, Vuna and Phipps are benched for this one. Every week their appalling defence astounds.

The Rebels set piece is looking sound at the moment, but Cipriani insists on kicking good ball away. When the Rebels have kept the ball in hand they have shown that they can score tries. With someone else at stand off the creative juices might start flowing. Hell even give livewire kingi a go. At least he would tackle.
You got 2 out of your 3 wishes. I'm glad someone else has noticed Phipps poor defence and I also think lack of pace. Those promoting him as the 3rd Wallaby half might be a bit premature as some of his deficiencies have been apparent lately after a good start to the season.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Even though Cips is benched, I would run Carter on the cut-back down the 9/10 or 10/12 channel with the Tah forwards charging on behind. It will pull Morty in which allows Barnes to occasionally throw it wide to Beale who can either run the 12/13 gap or release those on the outside. Apart from a couple of players I don't really rate the Rebels backs defensively. It will be interesting to see how Betham goes. I hope we don't kick to him, he has serious gas.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Cant understand picking huxley. He's nearly as bad as cips and no where near as good a kicker....

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I cannot understand playing Gerrard at 13. His most effecting weapon is his long kick which is entirely wasted at 13. Is Morty really that slow he is being "hidden" at 12 to compensate? I was of the thought that Morty was at 12 to baby sit Cips in defence, but with Hilgendorf there maybe not. Hilgendorf is not a noted defender but infinitely better than Cips.

Also Vuna is a defensive liability in that he just gets caught out of position and rushes up too often, but he is also the only ball running in that back with a modicum of talent to ask questions of a defence. Mitchell is just as bad a defender (and he doesn't get caught out of position, just run around or over) and yet holds his place. I would rather have seen Vuna retained and Betham in for Mitchell.

IMO a better backline with the 22 selected:-
9. Phipps
10. Hilgendorf
12. Huxley
13. Morty
11. Vuna
14. Betham
15. Gerrard

It should also be bourne in mind that with Mitchell out I do not rate any of the Tahs backline to break the defensive line one on one. Beale has not done so since Week 2.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The "most humble" Matt Burke unlocking the mysteries of Super Rugby for those of us who have never played at that level:

"The other area in which the Waratahs will be tested is at the breakdown, particularly by Rebels captain Stirling Mortlock. Perhaps he is not where he was when he captained Australia but he still deserves respect when he is on the park. At No.12 he will attack the ball by making the tackle, and if playing No.13 will try to pilfer and win possession."

Get out! Who would have thought? "Making the tackle", eh? I'm beginning to comprehend that at the Super level rugby really is rocket science.

I must write that down somewhere.

B

Bradley

It will be interesting to see how Betham goes. I hope we don't kick to him, he has serious gas.

While I'm sure he is fast, I'm not too sure about the serious gas. I saw him run down by Ben Batger in a club game last year. I remember Brett Papworth exclaiming at the time: "They've signed the wrong bloke!"

Can't believe they dropped Vuna. Lachlan Mitchell must be near the top of the missed tackle count in that team.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I honestly think the tahs will comfortably win this one. There defense and scrum are just way too strong. The rebels won't score a try.

I don't believe myself.

Go the force!!!!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
While I'm sure he is fast, I'm not too sure about the serious gas. I saw him run down by Ben Batger in a club game last year. I remember Brett Papworth exclaiming at the time: "They've signed the wrong bloke!"

And of course Pappy wouldn't have been wearing his Eastwood President's hat when he said that. On that particular incident though he did have a point. Pete Betham looked as slow as treacle in that run.

Actually I doubt that he has real top end speed. But he does have magical feet. For a big man he can get through very tight spaces. If he can learn not to go that metre too far he can be a top flight player.

Reactions: DPK

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
The "most humble" Matt Burke unlocking the mysteries of Super Rugby for those of us who have never played at that level:

"The other area in which the Waratahs will be tested is at the breakdown, particularly by Rebels captain Stirling Mortlock. Perhaps he is not where he was when he captained Australia but he still deserves respect when he is on the park. At No.12 he will attack the ball by making the tackle, and if playing No.13 will try to pilfer and win possession."

Get out! Who would have thought? "Making the tackle", eh? I'm beginning to comprehend that at the Super level rugby really is rocket science.

Ahh Matty Burke, gotta love him. Spreading the good word to those of us not Super enough to usually receive or comprehend it.

He did raise a very interesting stat, that the Rebels haven't scored a try in the first twenty minutes of any game they've played. While those of us down here simply identify this as the Melbourne Rebels lull-the-opposition-into-a-false-sense-of-security-by-playing-crap-for-about-twenty-five-minutes-before-actually-starting-to-play-good gameplan (The MR LTOIAFSOSBPCFATFMBASTPGG for short), fact is, if the Tahs pile on the pressure in that opening stanza, the game is theirs.

If the margin's under 10 points after 20 minutes, Rebels will win.

I honestly think the tahs will comfortably win this one. There defense and scrum are just way too strong. The rebels won't score a try.

I don't believe myself.

Umm...good...I think?

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)

gotta love how matt can make it so simple for those of us who will never understand

Reactions: daz

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
And of course Pappy wouldn't have been wearing his Eastwood President's hat when he said that. On that particular incident though he did have a point. Pete Betham looked as slow as treacle in that run.

Actually I doubt that he has real top end speed. But he does have magical feet. For a big man he can get through very tight spaces. If he can learn not to go that metre too far he can be a top flight player.

Interesting comment Bruce. I always thought he was quick after he scored that try in the Waratah trial last year; maybe the oppo was just slower.

D

daz

gotta love how matt can make it so simple for those of us who will never understand

What is this "rugby" of which he speaks?

Matt Burke: Wallaby Legend and Tool. Who says men can't multi-task?

D

Dunnman

Matt Burke has always been a tossa... you Aussies have always been a little slow at realising things.

On a side note, Ged "Clampett" Robinson to score the first try tonight.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

What is this "ball"?

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)

Wouldn't be surprised if Grumbles is ghosting for him.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Interesting comment Bruce. I always thought he was quick after he scored that try in the Waratah trial last year; maybe the oppo was just slower.

It was only that game against Eastwood that caused me to doubt Betham's top end speed, Hawko. I think everyone expected him to cruise to the line. Instead he looked very pedestrian. Of course it is not often a player has cause to make a 60 metre run on a rugby field.

Status
Not open for further replies.