• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

parkfootyenthusiast2

Stan Wickham (3)
Weirdly enough we had our starting 9 in first grade snap his ankle taking a regular punt kick on astro turf this year, wet day but no issues at all with traction on the surface that day.

I definitely end up sorer on the wet game days though, the low traction makes for awkward points of contact you're right.

The Ghost of Bernie

Frank Nicholson (4)
2/2 this week with the other 2 rained out. Results not surprising, perhaps margins more so. LCOI with a very brave effort on the road at Holroyd, seemed to highlight a potential scrum weakness for Merrylands, though from the team sheets looks like they played an entirely different first grade team from the one we've seen in the past few weeks. Four try bonus point a nice reward for the joint merger.

Harbour putting on a clinic against Valley also somewhat surprising, the forgotten juggernauts of div 3 reminding everyone they're still very much here and up for the scrap against the top 2.
'whatever Sportsbet gives you, take the overs'
Took the unders and cleaned up......

Confidence building result for LCOI as things seemed to click.

Unfortunately, the previous two weeks at Tantallon, like a lot of other clubs, was played in wet, then a mud bath last week which caused significant issues with the cricket pitch and surrounds of the pitch so much so the ground has been shut for three weeks by the council.

Next week was due to be LCOI Heritage Round but that has postponed to Round 13. Potentially returning to Ryde Oval next week for a one off to avoid playing on the plastic against Sydney Irish.

Personally, the past few weeks on the softer grounds, I haven't had the usual Sunday stiffness (hey-careful..).

The_Lock

Bob McCowan (2)
Nice job on taking the unders and cleaning up! It sounds like the conditions have been challenging lately with all the wet weather and mud baths, but it's great to hear that things are clicking for LCOI. Moving Heritage Round to Round 13 makes sense given the ground conditions, and hopefully, Ryde Oval provides a better surface for the game against Sydney Irish. As for the Sunday stiffness, good to hear it's not as bad on the softer grounds!

P.S @Scrums'n'Shwednesdays I know you have alot to say on the topic, would love to hear your thoughts
Yours in Speculation,
Lock

Last edited:

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
I wonder if UNSW and Petersham are playing for double points this weekend? Given UNSW also have a make up game against Newport and only one wet weather week in play will be interesting to see what they do.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Stan Wickham (3)
Like I said, a very brave effort from the LCOI lads out at Merrylands, great to see some fight after a tough start to the season sans week 1. Can't fault the logic after they got trounced by a presumably weaker than Merrylands Knox side the week prior, alas Subbies footy remains a week to week affair, especially looking at the Merrylands team list.

I was wondering where you'd run off to after a boisterous first few weeks Bernie! Good to see you back in the fray ;)

parkfootyenthusiast2

Stan Wickham (3)
Will go first cab off the rank for predictions this week, Div 3 as always, the true beating heart of Sydney's park footy scene.

Div 3 Round 10 Predictions (wild to type given the average number of games played to date across the div is 7.75!):

Old Barker (7) vs. Merrylands (1):
On paper, this should be a drubbing, but Merrylands looked shaky against LCOI who Old Barker dispatched of by a similar margin the week prior. Old Barker is also hosting Merrylands at the College for Back to Barker Day, so you'd expect a great turnout of players and supporters. If Merrylands names a team similar to the one that thumped Knox at home you'd have to pick them, but all the stars are aligning for an Old Barker upset here... In any case I'll play it safe and take the competition front runners, I'll give Barker some credit in the margin though. Merrylands by 10.

LCOI (8) vs. Sydney Irish (3):
On paper, this should also be a drubbing. Irish's clinical, northern hemisphere, kick well and chase hard, grind out, set piece style of footy has proven too much for every team but 1 of Merrylands' two cracks at them, and LCOI are lanquishing at the bottom of the ladder right? There's no reason for this to be close, right? Yes, that actually is right. I'm not buying what The Ghost of Bernie is selling, and I'm taking a rested, battle tested Irish to handle LCOI comfortably, even on the road. Prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong. Irish by 14.

Sydney Harlequins (4) vs. Hawkesbury Valley (6):
Valley's season all but ended after back to back drubbings the last two weeks, as they sit a win and a bonus point behind Knox and Quinns, both who have 2 and 3 games in hand on them respectively. If they're any chance at all this is a must win, and Waterloo Oval is a tough place to get one. The Quinns, for any short comings they might have, have been a pretty consistent outfit this year, handling the bad teams and playing the good teams reasonably close. I can't see them losing to a Valley side who just copped a 50 point shellacking vs Harbour last week, though their might be some early game rust as they haven't played since the 1st of June! Quinns by 17.

Sydney Harbour (2) vs. Knox (5):
Game of the round for mine. Harbour looking like the world beaters they've been the past two years again, hosting a Knox side desperate to prove that they can dance with the big boys in 2024. Harbour twice dispatched the Knox offensive last season, and again in round 1 this year, taking the tally to 3-0 in the all time head to head. Are hoodoos meant to be broken, or do Harbour just play the same style Knox does, but more refined, and simply better? We'll find out this week, but I'm going to go against the safe bet for the first time this week and take the Knox lads in a nailbiting, statement win. Knox by 3.

Yours in up the blues, in Trell we trust,
PFE

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
As to the latest of my knowledge, I don't believe they will, its an interesting decision in my opninion.
So when is the Newport catch up game being played? This also assumes there isn’t anymore wash outs this season, which is a strong likelihood given already wet grounds and the rain forecast over the weeks ahead.

The Ghost of Bernie

Frank Nicholson (4)
In Rugba League parlance, when the season started no one was doing Div 3 tips so was happy to 'put my hand up'. Doing this without having access to viewing games involved a bit of guess work and unwavering support for LCOI.

Happy to have yourself doing these tips and I'll just loiter around the edges like an aging lock..

TheBigArvo

Ward Prentice (10)
Surely you’d have the inside word on that Heavy D? Looks like they’ll have to do a couple of night games or play on the Sunday.
Not sure of the up take off asking guys to double up on a weekend anymore

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Ran into some players at Four Pines for Origin and they confirmed they are playing UNSW on the wet weather round. So not sure where that leaves Petersham v UNSW make up game. Maybe this weekend is an all or nothing double points fixture?

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Div 2

Petersham vs UNSW
: This is it, double points will make or break the finals hopes of either team. Both clubs have faced some dramas this year and I'll go with the home team to get the job done in a spiteful passionate clash. For the loser the lower grade stack begins from next week. Shammies by 7.

Briars vs Newport: Briars cricket club have kicked Briars of the oval for the rest of the season! Game is now in Rockdale..is that in Sydney? A massive danger game here for the Breakers, injuries and travel will take its toll but I think the boys can do it. A high scoring clash with Breakers snatching the win 38-32.

St Pats vs Hills: A Hills victory here might be enough for them to snatch a semi final spot. But a fired up St Pats still with Div 1 aspirations will be lookng for a max CC point sweep and I think they will get it. St Pats too clinical in the set piece to claim a 13+ win.

DaSchmooze

Bob Loudon (25)
Briars vs Newport: Briars cricket club have kicked Briars of the oval for the rest of the season!
There's probably more to it but at face value, I'll say this...

Who the f#!k are cricket to push another sport off a field that they dont have rights to in winter. That's a dick move

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Div 4 Round 10

Redfield (8)
v Canterbury (5) - The Berries have travelled pretty well this year in terms of numbers, if not always results. Redfield 2s have forfeited so their 1st might get stronger as a result. Going with the home side, just.

Wakehurst (4) v Raptors (2) - Wakehurst have been up and down with numbers, and while Raptors haven't always travelled well, their First Grade should have too much.

Hornsby (1) v Kings (7) - pretty clear cut win to Hornsby here. Kings look to have some numbers back but the home side have class across the paddock.

Renegades (3) v Chatswood (6) - Stags will be rusty after a month off, watching the rain come down. We've got 34 confirmed and 7 maybes on TeamLists, so we should be able to put on a good showing and avenge the 3-point loss in Round 3 (where we had 28)

Eastcoast

Fred Wood (13)
Div 1

Mosman - Forest. Mosman are a good side, quality across the park and will be a bit clinical here. Forest coming off what they will feel as a poor loss against Lindfield who played the conditions better. I can see Mosman running away with this at Rawson late. Mosman by 15

Lindfield - Waverley. Will be a good day across the lower grades with some strong teams matching up. In 1's, both teams play a fairly similar game plan, which Waverley have had longer to perfect. Will be a good game for 60, I expect Couch Corner to try to bring Lindfield home. The only time you hear from Lindfield is when they win. However, Waverley will be too strong. Waves by 10

Blue Mountains
- Colleagues. Colleagues are in a tough spot. Alot of teams, but missing the quality at the highest level this year. Not used to being at the bottom of the ladder, make up games to work through and now a bus trip to Lapstone in the middle of Winter. Cant see anything but a Blue Mountains Bonus point win. Mountains will want to build in the second half of the season after a few sloppy weeks by their standard. (Which means they only won by 7 not 20). Mountains by 20

Drummoyne - HH. Battle of the Bridge. Footy under Lights. Doesnt get much better. Two good teams going at it. Get down to Drummoyne after your own games and have a watch of this. Looking forward to a close match up. This game will be won late, potentially after the bell. HH by 3