• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sydney Subbies 2024

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Good to see most games went ahead
1719044226221.png

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Good day at Porters considering. Day started under sunshine in heavy conditions for the girls at 12 and went downhill from there. 1st grade Newport led 19 zip at halftime in atrocious conditions but Beecroft got it back to 19-12 and things got very nervous. A Newport penalty goal steadied the nerves with 10 to go but in my view Beecroft can definitely make the semis.

Great to see Beecroft do a bus and talking to a few of their players it’s their only bus trip for the year. The $400 tab for anyone coming in bus works a treat + great speeches and boat race between the clubs.
A great day of subbies rugby even in freezing torrential ugliness.

Interesting other results with Hills all but ending UNSW Barraclough chances. Unless they play for double points against Petersham I can’t see them getting there. The stack begins!

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Great day at The Field Of Dreams.

Kings turned up short on numbers but never quit. Helped make our charity day more successful than it otherwise might have been, with a decent amount (for us) going through the Square.

Bit of rain during setup but only mizzling annoyance during the games. Field is still very much playable.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
I remember a bizarre game playing kings at their old boys ground at the school. The pitch was such a boggy mess we swapped grounds at half time.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Anyway, let's have some Div 4 predictions:

Redfield v Western Raptors

Chatswood v Hornsby

Renegades
v Kings

Wakehurst v Canterbury

3 from 3 with 1 postponed.

Wakehurst Rugby Park will need a bit of time to recover. Absolute mud pit by the end

TheBigArvo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Thoughts on clubs pushing ahead with games cause there already struggling with catch up games on fields that are already struggling. No way the Forest Lindfield game goes ahead on a normal season where they don’t already have a make up game(s).
Not sure what the answer is especially in the second half of the season. But if someone gets hurt playing on an “unsafe” field clubs could be in all sorts

Heavyd

Arch Winning (36)
Referees ultimately decide is the surface is unplayable. The issue is contested scrums where the danger lies.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
3 from 3 with 1 postponed.

Wakehurst Rugby Park will need a bit of time to recover. Absolute mud pit by the end
Have played a lot of make up games at Wakehurst over the years, not sure why because it turns to a mudpit so easily, but we seem to always be able to get on there.

Just gotta hope you're not also downwind from the garbage tip next door, makes for a super unpleasant time out.

Hearing Knox vs Quinns 1st and 2nd grade to be made up on Thursdays at Lofberg on the 11th and 18th of July.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
Will get in early this week again...

Div 3 Round 9 Predictions:

LCOI (8) at Merrylands (1):
Top of the table vs bottom of the table at Top of the table's home ground... Oh boy, this one could get very ugly, very fast. Merrylands seem to have an endless crop of very big, very fast, very hard running players to throw at you for 80 minutes and grind you down to dust, the only question here is the margin of victory.. whatever Sportsbet gives you, take the overs. Merrylands by 40.

Sydney Harbour (3) at Hawkesbury Valley (6):
This one was played at Valley in round 1 due to Wet Weather, not sure if we'll see it come back to Eastern Sydney despite it being billed as a Valley home game? In any case, Valley is going to need some upset wins and they're going to need them soon if they're a chance to stay in the hunt for finals footy. Harbour hasn't played since June 1st and they were hardly convincing against Old Barker, whilst Valley looked competitive at Knox in the first half before letting it slip away. Tough one to call, but I think I'll take Harbour on 3 weeks rest and recovery. Harbour by 10.

Sydney Irish (2) at Old Barker (7):
Irish, fresh off their first loss of the season, will be looking to bounce back against Old Barker, fresh off their first win of the season. Can BOBs build some momentum off their win and starting stringing some results together? I suspect not, Irish's formula for success in playing a very Northern Hemisphere brand of footy will prove too clinical, even away at Turramurra. Irish by 13.

Knox (5) at Sydney Harlequins (4):
Game of the round this week. Both teams sit on 18 competition points, though the Quinns have a game in hand. If Knox cant get it done at Waterloo they'll have to produce some upsets down the back end of the season, so everything to play for for both teams. Knox got it done against them at Waterloo last year but went down in the minor semi, so there's some history here. I think if Knox can keep their heads, they're a chance. I'll take them purely to keep the competition interesting down the stretch. Knox by 3.

Yours in not having several ex internationals in your div 3 squad,
PFE

2/2 this week with the other 2 rained out. Results not surprising, perhaps margins more so. LCOI with a very brave effort on the road at Holroyd, seemed to highlight a potential scrum weakness for Merrylands, though from the team sheets looks like they played an entirely different first grade team from the one we've seen in the past few weeks. Four try bonus point a nice reward for the joint merger.

Harbour putting on a clinic against Valley also somewhat surprising, the forgotten juggernauts of div 3 reminding everyone they're still very much here and up for the scrap against the top 2.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Referees ultimately decide is the surface is unplayable. The issue is contested scrums where the danger lies.

Saw a lot of guys limping off when skimming the video of First Grade. This was at halftime after a bunch of rain came down not long before.

1719187381068.png

Ref_Ted

Ward Prentice (10)
In my humble (ill-informed) opinion. I find generally the impact injuries are higher in these conditions due to ball carriers slipping over and getting collected dangerously, still a rare thing though. On low sand tracks (muddy) the ground seems to give way more easily on impact.
The one thing is I am very sore coming off, and for a few days later, which I put down to running on such an uneven surface throughout the match.

Last edited:

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
It was the same at Rothwell. Highly physical games, played on a muddy track, leading to very fatigued bodies.

parkfootyenthusiast2

Herbert Moran (7)
Weirdly enough we had our starting 9 in first grade snap his ankle taking a regular punt kick on astro turf this year, wet day but no issues at all with traction on the surface that day.

I definitely end up sorer on the wet game days though, the low traction makes for awkward points of contact you're right.