• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby T-T Rd2: Hurricanes v Rebels

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It factually isnt.

I swear you watch something i dont.

Not factual, but an opinion! Because going by your idea the Wallabies haven't won the Bledisloe for a lot longer, so you would say they can't and pull them out?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Actually Dan there is a gap sizeable enough that warrants concern..as our RA CEO mentioning need for sides to consider imports in the last week reflects that. I think it is silly to pretend that nothing needs to be done to address this gap. Happy to hear ideas but if they are about reducing oz footprint to accomodate kiwi interests we ain’t interested. To deny there is a gap is just silly. Sure some sides can compete (and maybe gap closed a little) but the gap is still wide enough that it does need to close and happy to hear others ideas how it can be done (another kiwi side maybe?). Certain Posters on here need to stop attacking people who state the obvious as even RA’s CEO is agreeing we need to look at options to improve our competitiveness and frankly it is getting tiring when results show the gap is an issue.

Hell RN , yes there is a gap between bottom teams in Aus and NZ teams, (and top Aus teams), and I see nothing wrong with imports if RA change their rules on who can play for their teams. But I would and will always argue the way to get better is not to hide in a corner and play only other teams that play almost the same way as yourself because it is not substainable. I personally think the comp is missing the SA teams, and their different style of play , and our players are going to be lesser because of it.
I would be very interested to hear if Aus players would prefer to just play Aus teams or would rather be testing themselves against other top teams.
:p But anyway this is a Game thread and Canes won!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hell RN , yes there is a gap between bottom teams in Aus and NZ teams, (and top Aus teams), and I see nothing wrong with imports if RA change their rules on who can play for their teams. But I would and will always argue the way to get better is not to hide in a corner and play only other teams that play almost the same way as yourself because it is not substainable. I personally think the comp is missing the SA teams, and their different style of play , and our players are going to be lesser because of it.
I would be very interested to hear if Aus players would prefer to just play Aus teams or would rather be testing themselves against other top teams.
:p But anyway this is a Game thread and Canes won!!

Yep will leave it for another thread but I advocate domestic followed by TT but not SA as not right time zone to have support. I also like the flow as we get our players following the domestic playing kiwis to adjust to different playing styles and learn those lessons before the bledisloe and not during bledisloe games. Will leave any discussions for other threads as yes don’t want to detail game threads. But force competitive short term whilst building pathways because they have lot of imports - rebels maybe should consider the same strategy short term.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep mate, but I will add one thing to try and explain something. When in Aus club I was involved in were trying to get promoted to Premier grade, now we knew we couldn't compete as we were and would have to get in 'imports', etc, and some of our senior As would not make grade. still everyone I spoke to whether players , supporters etc, all wanted to be playing the best teams we could, and just wanted the challenge etc.
When we got turned down for various reasons, the club just within a 3-4 years found players were drifting off to other clubs to see if they could play harder rugby etc, not to win, but wanted to play the best they could and club ended up a shell of what it was. I really don't know many people who prefer playing in a lower ranked comp whether they players or supporters. But maybe I have just been involved with different people in the sport in the last 50-60 years than you.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep mate, but I will add one thing to try and explain something. When in Aus club I was involved in were trying to get promoted to Premier grade, now we knew we couldn't compete as we were and would have to get in 'imports', etc, and some of our senior As would not make grade. still everyone I spoke to whether players , supporters etc, all wanted to be playing the best teams we could, and just wanted the challenge etc.
When we got turned down for various reasons, the club just within a 3-4 years found players were drifting off to other clubs to see if they could play harder rugby etc, not to win, but wanted to play the best they could and club ended up a shell of what it was. I really don't know many people who prefer playing in a lower ranked comp whether they players or supporters. But maybe I have just been involved with different people in the sport in the last 50-60 years than you.

I don’t see how my arguments counter any of this as saying domestic followed by TT. It is just that you need mechanisms to ensure not wide disparity between teams (to build the fan base) and where I am saying more effort needed to fix this if going to do TT (some countries manage by promotion / relegation, afl manages by draft and lower sides having priority picks, some manage by allowing imports etc)

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Incumbent All Black winger Jordie with his usual raft of fuckups that everyone just lets go.

Orbyn Leger made one good kick but the rest of the time was an undersized dwarf lost in space.

Proctor went very well.

Magnay is really under-delivering on his potential.
Coles balked every single lineout throw with glee? Have I missed another law change?

Totally this. Looks a double pump is now ok. Maybe they'll draw the line at a triple pump. (both have a totally different meaning in Cyclo's game.....)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I

Orbyn Leger made one good kick but the rest of the time was an undersized dwarf lost in space.

Certainly not a fan of Leger's, thought it was one of his better games. although in my opinion still average. I wonder if he get's picked (I know it only as replacement now for Love) because he seems to be only left footer in team.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don’t see how my arguments counter any of this as saying domestic followed by TT. It is just that you need mechanisms to ensure not wide disparity between teams (to build the fan base) and where I am saying more effort needed to fix this if going to do TT (some countries manage by promotion / relegation, afl manages by draft and lower sides having priority picks, some manage by allowing imports etc)

Thing that worries me mate unless it proper domestc (not just super teams), if Aus teams struggle to adapt to TT because they just playing same style within a few years it will just become a 2nd grade comp in the eyes of supporters?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Thing that worries me mate unless it proper domestc (not just super teams), if Aus teams struggle to adapt to TT because they just playing same style within a few years it will just become a 2nd grade comp in the eyes of supporters?
Nope I’m already missing the investment in each game so far because my team has a realistic chance of making some playoffs. Would hate to get to the stage where all Aussie teams with no chance of making a top 4 after 6/7 rounds of a 16 week comp because they have lost the majority of their matches. That’s the worst scenario possible for Aussie teams and unfortunately the most likely

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Surprisingly, I don't think it was mentioned... but...

Coles balked every single lineout throw with glee? Have I missed another law change?

Mr Boomfa mentioned it once that I recall (also said it should've been a penalty when actual sanction is FK but that's a different matter). Law says you can't pretend to throw the ball in & I'm sure I can remember Owen's or possibly Barnes explaining to a pissed-off captain that so long as the thrower doesn't bring the ball past perpendicular to his shoulders he's OK. Certainly Rebs didn't seem unduly concerned about it.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Not factual, but an opinion! Because going by your idea the Wallabies haven't won the Bledisloe for a lot longer, so you would say they can't and pull them out?

Yeah? Im fucken over it and most viewers are too. Had you noticed rugby is on its knees or what?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah? Im fucken over it and most viewers are too. Had you noticed rugby is on its knees or what?

No I just got home from a very enjoyable day of club rugby and watching rugby on tv, so obviosly I havent noticed it on knees!!;)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No I just got home from a very enjoyable day of club rugby and watching rugby on tv, so obviosly I havent noticed it on knees!!;)

Club rugby in Aus is probably more popular than the professional version mate. I had a great day last Sat watching Norths and North Sydney oval.