• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Rugby round 4 - Waratahs vs Force - Sunday 13 March 2pm @ Leichhardt Oval

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's hard to fit Roberts in if we're only picking 2 back reserves. He's effectively a 12 and nothing else.

While you could have Perese covering the back 3 from 13 (by being able to move to the wing) I also don't think you want your best back being pushed further out in the event of an injury (to a winger, fullback or 10).

I'm sure he's being a great mentor though

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It's hard to fit Roberts in if we're only picking 2 back reserves. He's effectively a 12 and nothing else.

While you could have Perese covering the back 3 from 13 (by being able to move to the wing) I also don't think you want your best back being pushed further out in the event of an injury (to a winger, fullback or 10).

I would have thought Nawaqanitawase & Newsome would shuffle about in the back 3 first with Harrison being pushed up if there is a 10/12 issue before Perese is moved

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yeah, Roberts not so flexible, and his role should be the 100% consistent player who can be plugged in when required. The plan from the coaches would be that he's used less and less, as other, younger, squad members step up.

I'm sure Coleman would enjoy pointing to Roberts on the training field and saying "You want a spot in the 23? Be better than him."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have thought Nawaqanitawase & Newsome would shuffle about in the back 3 first with Harrison being pushed up if there is a 10/12 issue before Perese is moved

I'm talking about if you picked Roberts on the bench in a 6:2 split.

Harrison covers 10, Roberts covers 12, Foketi covers 13, Perese covers 11/14 and Newsome covers 15. Any injury in the back 3 requires Perese to shift to the wing.

That's why I'm saying that Nawaqanitawase makes more sense with the starting backs and the 6:2 split.

Harrison covers 10, Perese covers 12, Newsome covers 13, Nawaqanitawase covers 11/14, Newsome covers 15.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm talking about if you picked Roberts on the bench in a 6:2 split.

Harrison covers 10, Roberts covers 12, Foketi covers 13, Perese covers 11/14 and Newsome covers 15. Any injury in the back 3 requires Perese to shift to the wing.

That's why I'm saying that Nawaqanitawase makes more sense with the starting backs and the 6:2 split.

Harrison covers 10, Perese covers 12, Newsome covers 13, Nawaqanitawase covers 11/14, Newsome covers 15.
and Roberts has done bugger all on the field

I am still surprised the Nawaqanitawase gets another shot, in the highlights from the "A" game Wilson & Dowling looked really good

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Big game for both teams.

From a Force point of view last week was so disappointing. In the past we’d have expected that result and performance against Queensland and occasionally been pleasantly surprised. Last week was the opposite. Hopefully that’s not false optimism.

Thrush back in is potentially huge. Lee-Warner has been excellent in the second row however Thrush brings some genuine intangibles (from a stats point of view) in terms of pure mongrel, aggression and leadership. We know we’ll only get fifty minutes out of him but he’ll give everything and his partnership with Rodda could be a thing of…beauty?

Equally the return of Kuenzle is welcome. As someone else pointed out, Kahui has been playing well so a surprise to see him missing out although perhaps they need to manage his game time. Kuenzel’s boot alone should make a huge difference. Pasitoa has been a marked improvement from hand in dead ball situations compared to last year but Kuenzel is even better. This should help to get good clearances and also to make the most of putting penalties into the 22. Far too often the Force miss touch (mainly last year) or don’t get enough distance to really punish teams giving away penalties. Add in Kuenzel’s size and it makes for an interesting midfield.

Koteka missing again is a loss. Callan no doubt has potential as he showed last season but I don’t feel he had the same impact last week as Koteka has. This also weakens the bench although Stander is a fine sub to have coming on.

Ready in for Winchester. I don’t want to jump on the Ready pile on but he is frustrating. Obviously Winchester isn’t ready/rated so we’re going to have to hope Ready can live up to his undoubted potential one day.

The Tah’s worry me a little bit. Each of their callow players is now a year older. Swinton isn’t there to ensure they have 14 men for a minimum of ten minutes so that’s also a shame. Their centres are good and as they showed last year they can carve up the Force. So the Force will need to score points which hopefully things will click and they finally start to score freely.

On paper the Force should have too much but in reality this probably a 50/50 call.

Alex Ross (28)
On paper the Force should have too much but in reality this probably a 50/50 call.
The only place the Tahs have an edge is in the centres. Force have a huge advantage in the tight 5, especially at lock.

I think Force fans are and should feel confident, but are a perhaps a little worried to say it out loud

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Commentators asking if Force can cause an upset against the Tahs.

Surely the Force are favourites here???

I definitely think the Tahs can win, but can’t see why they would be favourites.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Commentators asking if Force can cause an upset against the Tahs.

Surely the Force are favourites here???

I definitely think the Tahs can win, but can’t see why they would be favourites.
Tahs at home are favourites here. Not by much but definitely favourites