• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super Round 2, 2018 - Rebels V Reds @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I’m not sure whether Higgers likely being suspended next week benefits the Brumbies or the Reds...

Someone saw him on the way to the airport.

if-i-only-had-a-brain-o.gif

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I said it somewhere. My concern with Higgers' appointment as captain is that I've never seen a lot of rugby intelligence in him. He demonstrated that a couple of times last night.

He played wonderfully as Rebels captain, but that's about it.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Happy with the refs decisions on the cards. He clearly demonstrated the logic to his decision. It is round 1 and their brief would be zero tolerance on player safety. Can't ask for more than that.

The yellow was the tipping point for the Reds. They were holding in well before that and it just become a little too much with 13. Rebels grew in confidence during that 10 minutes and the Reds were chasing shit up hill from that point on.

Higgers and Tui will be gone next week. Douglas in for Tui and Scott Young in for Higgers with Timu shifting to 8.

Fark knows who takes the captaincy. Kerevi is inept and Slipper at prop is in a compromised position. That banished Quade fella has some experience and leadership attributes demonstrated in the past.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Happy with the refs decisions on the cards. He clearly demonstrated the logic to his decision. It is round 1 and their brief would be zero tolerance on player safety. Can't ask for more than that.

The yellow was the tipping point for the Reds. They were holding in well before that and it just become a little too much with 13. Rebels grew in confidence during that 10 minutes and the Reds were chasing shit up hill from that point on.

Higgers and Tui will be gone next week. Douglas in for Tui and Scott Young in for Higgers with Timu shifting to 8.

Fark knows who takes the captaincy. Kerevi is inept and Slipper at prop is in a compromised position. That banished Quade fella has some experience and leadership attributes demonstrated in the past.

Ready or Duncan P

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
@Dan

You may be right in comparing Genia and Smith but I suspect you are being harsh on Will last night. I thought he was one of the few players on the field that was capable of reading the game and doing something about it. His quick decision making at penalties was spot on against a short crew and acted immediately. Some of his kicking was right on the nail. Dispossessing Higgers from the base of the scrum showed nous, knowledge and courage.

As usual he did well in marshalling the pigs when they needed direction. Reckon Coleman would be very pleased to have him starting.

Easily my MOTM.

Yep perhaps I agree dru, and I was comparing him with Smith who really did some top quality stuff, and when I think back Rebels probably wouldn't of gone anywhere near as good without Genia there. I think I keep looking for him to be real sharp on the pass, and hit runners further out, which maybe not where hi strength is. Anyway I certainly would on reflection say he was MOTM, but still not really convinced that it was high bar had been set to win it. Anyway let's hope both teams improve and as someone living in Qld, let's hope the Reds improve the most, by geez they need to.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I assume the red card thing has been done to death. My opinion: it was fucking red, and the angle from behind Philip proves it. If you don't understand why, we can't have a discussion.

Its Higginbotham's denial that should be cause for most concern: "Just a tackle mate been doing that the last 12 years".

Yes, you tit. But the laws have changed and that's why The Universe According to Higgers is no longer a thing.

Agree pfitzy, I could not believe that Higgers said he did nothing wrong! Certainly seems a bit of empty space upstairs with him.

dru

David Wilson (68)
I think it is also far too early to judge Brad as a rookie coach. I think people should cut him some slack and give him a bit of time personally.

We've been giving the QRU and Reds coaching slack since 2013. I'm done with slack, I'm done with time.

dru

David Wilson (68)
He certainly can't be held accountable for the fact Higgers is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But he can be held accountable for making him captain.

Pfitzty, the "culture" piece is Brad. Whether that is aggression or thugby is something that is not unreasonable to hold him accountable for.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I don't think Higgers will get suspended. The Reds will say he used his arm and he's already been red carded. Tui is gone for god knows how many weeks. I'd say three weeks but they could give him anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fox sports commentators reckon Tui gone for 6-8 weeks. It looked pretty bad from where I sit so could see that for sure.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't think Higgers will get suspended. The Reds will say he used his arm and he's already been red carded. Tui is gone for god knows how many weeks. I'd say three weeks but they could give him anything.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

To decide an appropriate sanction (PK, YC or RC), referees should be considering:
o Contact point – where did the tackle start/finish, was contact with hand, arm or shoulder?
o Action – was the tackling action accidental, reckless or deliberate?
o Degree of force – severity of impact, does the tackler ‘carry on’ through the tackle, e.g. around the neck?

I reckon, even accepting he was attempting a tackle (and with the way he braced I'm not convinced especially the front on view), that was contacting his head with his shoulder, recklessly, and then Higgers carried on by dragging him round the neck to bring him to ground (basically a neck roll).

He's going to get some time off under the new WR (World Rugby) guidelines - and it's going to be longer than most think

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I reckon Higgers will be gone for a couple, but Tui will be lucky if he's playing before the bye. Who knows with match review, Higgers could be out for 4 a la SBW and Tui could somehow escape punishment altogether.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tui card has been upgraded to a Red. Find out his fate tonight

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.