• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Super 15 Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Can someone please explain how teams are any more or less disadvantaged by being awarded 4 points for a bye as oposed to being awarded 0 points? To me this is a complete non-issue and I genuinely can't understand why posters are so against this format.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
However, I like the points for the bye. Essentially there is no difference awarding all teams with 4 points for the bye or 0 points. It all equals out and I can't imagine why anyone would have a genuine issue with the current system. In the past, when 0 points were allocated for the bye I would always have to take the byes into account when considering my team's finals chances, and that's still the case.

Yep. It all equals out in the end but there are advantages to the 4-point bye. Taking this week's table gives a clear example since there are only two teams that have had the extra bye:
  • The Stormers have won 89% of their games (the best in the comp at 8 from 9). With 4-point byes they are ranked 2nd, just 1 point off the lead. But with 0-point byes, they would be shown as ranked 5th and 5 points behind the lead. In this case, the 4-point bye makes more sense because 2nd is a better indication that 5th, particularly since they've only lost 1 game and would otherwise be below two sides that have lost 2 games.
  • The Brumbies have won 22% of their games (a very poor 2 from 9). With 4-point byes they are ranked 10th, and 8 points ahead of the spoon. But with 0-point byes, they would be shown as 14th and only 4 points off the spoon. In this case, the 0-point bye makes more sense because 14nd is a better indication that 10th, and they are currently ranked above two sides with 3 wins to their paltry 2.
It's swings and roundabouts. The 4-point bye gives a better indication of teams at the top of the table. The 0-point bye gives a better indication of teams at the bottom of the table. Overall, the 4-point bye is better because no one gives a fuck about the bottom of the table. The Top-6 counts, the rest don't.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Maybe it should be 2 points for the bye so it's more accurate throughout the season.

No. 4-point byes are more accurate over the season for teams at the top of the table. -- These are the teams that count because what is important is the race for the Top-3 and Top-6.

0-point byes are more accurate for the teams at the bottom of the table. -- No one cares, bro.

2-point byes would be more accurate for the teams in the middle of the table. -- Again, not as important as the race for the Top-3 and Top 6.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Why cant they just play every weekend and chuck the byes?

Oom, is this a cunning plan to get the Pirates/Spears in as a 16th team for ZA?

Don't worry, I think the deal may already be done. They'll be playing within the next 2-5 years, I'd say.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oom, is this a cunning plan to get the Pirates/Spears in as a 16th team for ZA?

Don't worry, I think the deal may already be done. They'll be playing within the next 2-5 years, I'd say.
They cant add only one team now, it have to be three, one for each conferense to keep the balance right. Thats why it will be S18 as from 2013. Thats the promise to the Kings.

F

feed_me

I find the 4 point bye makes the table a lot more difficult mid-round...

For example, coming into a round, the table looks as follows:

Matches Played Competition Points
Blues 4 16
Crusaders 4 12
Stormers 3 12 (including 4 points for a bye)
Reds 4 10
Waratahs 4 8

Say this round the reds have the bye, Blues v Stormers, Cru v Tahs

Say Blues v Stormers is Friday night, Cru v Tahs is Sunday, on Saturday the table looks like this (if say the stormers get 4 points, the blues none, and the points for the reds bye have been added)

Matches Played Competition Points
Blues 5 16
Stormers 4 16 (including 4 points for a bye)
Reds 4 14 (including 4 points for a bye)
Crusaders 4 12
Waratahs 4 8

This makes checking the table mid round a right pain in the ass, as 2 teams who have played 4 games have had byes and their free points, while 2 don't. This could be easily solved if tables included a byes column so you can easily see who has been awarded bye points, but I have yet to come across a table which includes that.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This makes checking the table mid round a right pain in the ass, as 2 teams who have played 4 games have had byes and their free points, while 2 don't. This could be easily solved if tables included a byes column so you can easily see who has been awarded bye points, but I have yet to come across a table which includes that.

Such a table is here: http://www.superxv.com/table/

They add in the bye points at the end of the weekend too (or at least they used to, haven't checked mid-round recently).

M

Maroon Army

They cant add only one team now, it have to be three, one for each conferense to keep the balance right. Thats why it will be S18 as from 2013. Thats the promise to the Kings.

PaarlBok, may I ask where the 3rd team will (assuming one team will be from New Zealand) come from? Will the third team be based in Argentina?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PaarlBok, may I ask where 3rd team will (assuming one team will be from New Zealand) come from? Will the third team be based in Argentina?
Dunno who ever they decide on. One will play in the NZ conferense the other in the Aus conferense.

We have the Argentina Pampas playing in our Vodacom competition and are base in Potchefstroom. They'll play in the semi against the Sharks XV this weekend. Pretty sure NZ will be able to add another team and maybe the Argies then in Aus.

M

Maroon Army

Maybe an Argentinian team could be based on the Gold Coast when they are touring Australia...

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
A Pacific Islanders team based in Cairns would be a good thing...

I disagree. The PI population in Cairns is tiny compared to Western Sydney, Brisbane's Southside or any of the major NZ cities with Auckland boasting the largest population of Polynesians of any city in the world.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sanzar will probably try and fit the Argies in, now that they joined the 3 Nations. Must say their Pampas lot doing well in the Vodacom Cup this year.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I disagree. The PI population in Cairns is tiny compared to Western Sydney, Brisbane's Southside or any of the major NZ cities with Auckland boasting the largest population of Polynesians of any city in the world.

Agree with you, AC, however Cairns hasn't got a winter sports team of any code, can only think of the Taipans basketball team based there, so it would be ripe for the picking...plus it's serviced by an international airport as opposed to Townsville.

It could be feasible to put that team in Western Sydney...but it's a tough market there now with GWS AFL team there now along with many mungo teams.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Sydney barely manages one Super team. Obviously the market for a non-Australian team would be different, but that might make it an even tougher sell.

G

Geeves

The Pampas in the Vodacom Cup is arguably one of the best things for the Pumas and the SA rugby should be applauded for providing them with the opportunity.

I like the idea but the question is then where are they based. Argentina would provide a huge logistic task but would help develop rugby within the country. There would have to a sizable chunk of change for travel costs.

If they are based in SA. Then what happens to the conferences (an 8*2, a 4 * 4 comp, back to the single table, other). I couldn't see possum head giving up the free national comp in Aus that you get to run under the Super 15. While I sure that neither SA or NZ want to give up the Currie Cup or NPC (yes use old names) under a major expanded comp. Some nasty questions would then have to be addressed.

One thing from this I learnt from this was

Keep in mind that we have a shorter season this year due to RWC. Next year you'll play each team once, with conference teams playing twice.

If next year you get to play against everyone then its a hell of a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.