• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Rd 3 Force v Reds in Perth

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
What time is kick off for this game? I really keen on watching it, but not sure what time it is. Is it after the Tahs/Brumbies game, which will make it after midnight here in NZ.
Yep midnight for you. Think it's a hungover breakfast game for me on delay.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Greg Holmes versus 2 glasses of wine after 22 minutes on the park.

Wouldn't even touch the sides.

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
What time is kick off for this game? I really keen on watching it, but not sure what time it is. Is it after the Tahs/Brumbies game, which will make it after midnight here in NZ.
Yep Perth is a few hours behind he East coast. I believe kickoff is 9pm Brisbane time.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Greg Holmes versus 2 glasses of wine after 22 minutes on the park.

Wouldn't even touch the sides.

The only rational explanation I can think of is that it is to do with recovery protocols. Whatever, if the rule is no alcohol, then they should stick to the rule.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Surely a warning for having two glasses of wine on a flight home would suffice.

If you're a P plate driver, the alcohol limit is zero, so two glasses of wine and driving doesn't get you off with a warning.

Sounds like the Force playing group have set similar expectations, alcohol limit is zero. So full punishment should be expected.

We can argue till the cows come home about whether or not this is harsh, unfair, stupid etc. but at the end of the day, it's a decision made by these players own peers and we should respect that.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
The only bit I don’t understand is that if they were all on the flight and the guys ordered wine with lunch, why didn’t someone say something then and there and nip it in the bud. You’d have to assume that there is a good reason, but that’s the bit that seems a bit weird to me. Maybe Winchester offer to buy Ready a couple of drinks? :)
I assume the players sit as a group on the flights? If this is the case, when the glass of wine was given to the players surely another team member would have seen it and said for them to stop.

I find the version provided to be hard to believe and believe that Holmes getting off because he is a THP is a bit weak too. What if he gets injured prior to the game? Does the Force only have 2 props available for a home game? Surely there is a backup player in their extended squad that could be brought in.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I find the version provided to be hard to believe and believe that Holmes getting off because he is a THP is a bit weak too. What if he gets injured prior to the game? Does the Force only have 2 props available for a home game? Surely there is a backup player in their extended squad that could be brought in.
So what you're saying is this is just one big ploy for the Force to scratch Holmes late and say they have to go to uncontested scrums when Medrano goes off (conveniently timed with when Tupou comes on) to neutralize Tupou's scrummaging power?

All this after the tahs cut off half the legs on the round one sin bin chairs so his back would be too sore to play against them. Are the Reds the only honest team left?

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
I assume the players sit as a group on the flights? If this is the case, when the glass of wine was given to the players surely another team member would have seen it and said for them to stop.

It's not a big deal. It's happened. Move on. Sounds petty but probably the rules so it's time to focus on the game.

Can't believe we have a game between two of the top Aussie sides on and most of the chat is about wines on the plane a week ago.

This is going to be a cracker.

dru

David Wilson (68)
If you're a P plate driver, the alcohol limit is zero, so two glasses of wine and driving doesn't get you off with a warning.

Sounds like the Force playing group have set similar expectations, alcohol limit is zero. So full punishment should be expected.

We can argue till the cows come home about whether or not this is harsh, unfair, stupid etc. but at the end of the day, it's a decision made by these players own peers and we should respect that.

Holmes is 38. He's not a P plater.

dru

David Wilson (68)

Yep. You've been a naughty boy and are going to be punished. You don't when, when you least expect it, expect it.

dru

David Wilson (68)
It's not a big deal. It's happened. Move on. Sounds petty but probably the rules so it's time to focus on the game.

Can't believe we have a game between two of the top Aussie sides on and most of the chat is about wines on the plane a week ago.

This is going to be a cracker.

It's made quite a dent in my enthusiasm for the Force. Of course I'm going to talk about it.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
Link to Article

Have you guys actually read the article regarding this (link above)? Some rather relevant excerpts as below:

“They weren’t drunk or intoxicated on the plane, they each had one to two glasses of wine with their meals, but this was a player-led decision and it was determined that because we were wearing Force uniforms and with the short turnaround between games they shouldn’t have been drinking,” Hodgson said.

"This is very much part of setting the standards for the culture we’re trying to build here. And I can’t fault the reaction of the three players, they made the decision to stand themselves down from selection this week. They addressed the entire playing group on the first day back to training on Monday, apologised for their choices, and then ripped into training and really helped the guys who are stepping up to replace them.”

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Link to Article

Have you guys actually read the article regarding this (link above)? Some rather relevant excerpts as below:

“They weren’t drunk or intoxicated on the plane, they each had one to two glasses of wine with their meals, but this was a player-led decision and it was determined that because we were wearing Force uniforms and with the short turnaround between games they shouldn’t have been drinking,” Hodgson said.

"This is very much part of setting the standards for the culture we’re trying to build here. And I can’t fault the reaction of the three players, they made the decision to stand themselves down from selection this week. They addressed the entire playing group on the first day back to training on Monday, apologised for their choices, and then ripped into training and really helped the guys who are stepping up to replace them.”
Sounds like they wanted the extra week off

Reactions: TSR

Equalizer

Trevor Allan (34)
Great conditions for rugby tonight here in the
West. Plenty of talk about the wine incident. Lets see the boys spill a bit of Reds claret tonight with some tough defence. Let's go Force!