• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) Rd 3 Force v Reds in Perth

Purce

Dave Cowper (27)
Surely Force to win this. If the Reds do it'll be a hell of a effort. Defense looked good last week, more concerned about Reds ability to score points. JOC (James O'Connor) not looking like a general. No Tate is a massive loss when your 10 isn't really a 10. It'll be interesting to see if Campbell steps up this week and takes on more ball playing role.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Flook isn’t a winger at this level I don’t think, and interesting they’ve leap frogged Kalani Thomas over Jeans. I liked what I saw of Jeans last week in a game he obviously wasn’t expecting that much game time.

Good to have Tupou and Paisami back on deck. It will be interesting to see when TT gets on.

Is Daugunu injured or are the Reds recognising his performance in the first two games? I'm OK with Flook here as a back up. Disappointed that Jeans hasn't got the starting gig, but I think I can see where the selections are heading.

You're right, GREAT news re Tupou and Paisami.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to captain the team this week. Had always heard he was considered a leader within the group but it’s a surprise selection to me. McReight, Wilson, JOC (James O'Connor) probably my more my likely options.
Hopefully he will have a blinder !

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting reward for moving overseas. perhaps a sign that it wasn't acrimonious and he'll return eventually.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd love to know the story with JOC (James O'Connor) and the captaincy situation. Whether he's desperate to avoid taking a (c) again or if it's something the coaching staff want to avoid.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) took over as captain last weekend and now LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), a bloke who is heading overseas, is taking it this weekend. Mind boggling to say the least.

Haven't exactly seen the benefits of JOC (James O'Connor) not having the extra 'burden' of captaincy yet. Maybe this weekend he will show us something special.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'd love to know the story with JOC (James O'Connor) and the captaincy situation. Whether he's desperate to avoid taking a (c) again or if it's something the coaching staff want to avoid.

ASY (Angus Scott-Young) took over as captain last weekend and now LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), a bloke who is heading overseas, is taking it this weekend. Mind boggling to say the least.

Haven't exactly seen the benefits of JOC (James O'Connor) not having the extra 'burden' of captaincy yet. Maybe this weekend he will show us something special.
JOC (James O'Connor) did eventually take it when ASY (Angus Scott-Young) left the field I think, but that was probably more a case of needed someone to step in then anything planned.

On his form more generally he did post an instagram story about feeling run down since covid last night, but it did look like sponsored content for "vitamin sprays", so probably take it with a grain of salt.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Understandably Ready being given a rest after last week's poor performance at lineouts, penalties and ball retention.

He's been stood down for drinking on the flight back to Perth (as has Ralston).

Holmes would have too but they don't have enough THPs.

Personally I think this is overkill. They apparently had one or two glasses of wine with their meal on the flight and were wearing Force uniforms.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Pretty excited for this.

One of the biggest issues we've had in recent (probably the last ten years) and something which sets apart the top teams from the rest is having top class half backs.

We've had good packs and variable options outside but rarely have we had a top class 9 &10.

For the first time in maybe forever Fines and Pasitoa look like giving us real control and game breaking ability.

I'm sure there are plenty of bumps in the road to come as they're both relatively inexperienced and young in Pasitoa's case.

Other assorted thoughts on the Force;

Strachan has looked assured at full back. Last year we veered between the safety of Kearney who had lost that game breaking ability and the game breaking ability of McGregor who doesn't always seem safe. Strachan seems to combine a bit of both and knows when and where to do either.

Rodda is a beast. Full stop. Him and Lee Warner are hard nosed and aggressive and it gives the pack some real bite. Just need to work on that maul defence.

Nice to see a change up in the backrow. Koteka was his usual excellent self last week (he just seems to grow incrementally better each game) but it's nice to give him a break and let the equally impressive Callan have a run.

Kahui still looks a cut above. I only wish he was 4-5 years younger but somehow he just keeps playing intelligently and seems to hold the backline together.

The scrum needs a big game. We always look infinitely better when Holmes is at tighthead but at 38 he surely has no more than 30-40 mins in him. Medrano needs to step up and while not as bad against the Rebels as he was against the Brumbies, he will have tough tests ahead of him.

Pulu and Mataele look like really good wingers. Pulu's season was interrupted by injury last year and you always felt if he could string games together he's close to international class. This is his third game in a row and along with Mataele (which it was nice to see the Force use from lineouts and infield) it kinda feels like if everything clicks they could run in a few scores.

It genuinely feels like the Force have another level to go as combinations start to click. It's a relatively settled side now and hopefully over the next few weeks things will start to fire. Hopefully Kunzel adds some more options to the backs and maybe Wagner comes into contention along with Thrush for the 23.

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)

Personally I think this is overkill. They apparently had one or two glasses of wine with their meal on the flight and were wearing Force uniforms.
Agree it sounds harsh, but regardless, in Ready's case why even partake in anything which was borderline unacceptable?

No sympathies here.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Definitely sounds harsh, but it depends what standards were set ahead if time - if they'd all made a commitment not to drink beforehand then I can absolutely understand the playing group being pissed off with them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Definitely sounds harsh, but it depends what standards were set ahead if time - if they'd all made a commitment not to drink beforehand then I can absolutely understand the playing group being pissed off with them.

I agree although it does seem unlikely that if they'd made an agreement that there was absolutely no alcohol on flights or in specific situations it does seem unusual that three players would not follow those rules. It's not like they met up secretly for a drink.

dru

David Wilson (68)
If I were Holmes I'd be thinking "seriously? Look, I'll stand myself down. I'm not available. And you'd better get a grip because I'm getting bored as shit about this."

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) to captain the team this week. Had always heard he was considered a leader within the group but it’s a surprise selection to me. McReight, Wilson, JOC (James O'Connor) probably my more my likely options.
LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) could well have been the choice without any any strings attached. How many captains have we had in past 12 months? It is getting a bit of a joke. No point getting another players hopes up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Opposition have found space out wide against us as we’ve used the counterable shooter style defence (although we’ve only conceded 2 tries in 2 games - albeit in wet games. I fear what Mataele and Pulu can do with the clever Kahui inside.

However, despite how good he’s played, knowing Qld would have had a rookie 9, I think Prior would have remained a better starting option. He plays the game plan regardless. Reds will benefit if Fines goes too off script, despite his attacking skills. Prior brings not much late.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Yep, I can understand the player's group being pissed. If the a commitment is made not to drink on match nights (recovery etc) you can't say oh a red wine with meal is ok, next week it's well I only had a couple of red wines etc etc. When you draw a line in the sand everyone understands what is the rule.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
The only bit I don’t understand is that if they were all on the flight and the guys ordered wine with lunch, why didn’t someone say something then and there and nip it in the bud. You’d have to assume that there is a good reason, but that’s the bit that seems a bit weird to me. Maybe Winchester offer to buy Ready a couple of drinks? :)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
What time is kick off for this game? I really keen on watching it, but not sure what time it is. Is it after the Tahs/Brumbies game, which will make it after midnight here in NZ.