• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Southern Inland Rugby 2024

Up the Jumper

Herbert Moran (7)
some interesting Finals tomorrow.
Major Semi : City (undefeated) v Waratahs - Verdict- City have been hit hard with injuries, suspensions & unavailabilities in the past few weeks and look very vulnerable tomorrow against the defending premiers. Waratahs only got half a match last weekend against Leeton which mightn't be the best lead in for this clash but they nearly knocked City off a fortnight ago and will have learnt from that encounter- Waratahs by 5

Minor Semi : Wagga Ag College v Tumut - Verdict- Aggies look to be finding some good form leading into the Finals and will be favourites for this clash tomorrow. Tumut have been solid this season and the Bulls know that victory tomorrow will put them in a Preliminary Final on their home ground on Saturday week - Ag College by 8

Up the Jumper

Herbert Moran (7)

'Dispensation doesn't pass the pub test' ahead of major semi-final showdown​

The Wagga City President doesn't sound a Happy Chappy at the moment- Maybe the Dispensation process needs to be looked at in the Future but City are doing a lot of grumbling in the background even with the suspension of one of their players from last Weekend- which from all accounts was a 'Barry Crocker' of a tackle.
There will be no love lost between City & Waratahs tomorrow at 3;30pm

Recent Advertiser Article
More fuel has been thrown onto the fire of Southern Inland's biggest rivalry as the two clubs prepare to battle for a grand final berth.
Wagga City raised their concerns over Southern Inland's finals dispensation process after Waratahs had two players cleared for the major semi-final showdown at Conolly Rugby Complex on Saturday.
Forwards Angus Burns and Luke Turner were both given permission to play in finals despite not playing five games required to automatically qualify.
Injury was used by Waratahs to apply for dispensation on Tuesday.
Wagga City were part of the dispensation process however Boiled Lollies president Dan Ribot is unsatisfied with the outcome, particularly regarding Burns.

"You've got a player you have been flying down or is travelling down from Sydney to play, has only played three games. I think it makes a bit of a mockery of the competition," Ribot said.
"It turns the dispensation process into a bit of a mockery if people are just going to be waved through without any scrutiny.
"It doesn't really matter. 'Tahs had two people and we probably would have said yes to one and no to the other only because it didn't really pass the pub test as far as I'm concerned.
"It doesn't matter as we've got some depth in that area and despite our injury concerns we can still get through."

Burns, who has linked with Waratahs this season, hasn't played since injuring his hip against Ag College in round 10.

However with the clearance to play finals is expected to line up on Saturday.
Ribot also said there were a number of dispensations handed to Leeton's players the club would have questioned more vigorously.
However as the lower ranked teams had already cast affirmative votes, minor premiers Wagga City's opinion could not change the outcome by that stage.
Wagga City have a number of injury concerns heading into the big clash as they look to extend their unbeaten score.
Start the conversation

They will also be without winger Waisale Sauvinaloto for the rest of the season after he was suspended by the Southern Inland judiciary on Wednesday night.

Sauvinaloto was found guilty of a mid-range dangerous tackle after being red carded early on in their win over Tumut on Saturday.
Ribot was disappointed not to get the charge downgraded.
"We've got depth in that position but obviously Wais is a big loss," Ribot said.
"I don't think the incident necessarily fits the ruling but that's just my opinion and my opinion doesn't count unfortunately.
"I think there were some inconsistencies in regards to the referee's report and what was clear on the video.
"Namely that it was said there were no mitigating circumstances, which was clear from the video footage that there was. The player dropped their body height and the attacking player had a late change of direction.
"It's never good to see players collide that way but it was an accident and I think there was enough to probably put us into that low threshold."
The base sanction for low-range dangerous tackle is two weeks with a mid-range offence starting at six.
However mitigating factors were taken into account by the judiciary with Sauvinaloto handed a three-game bar.
Two Leeton players were also barred by the Southern Inland judiciary after their controversial game with Waratahs on Saturday.
Both were found guilty of dangerous tackle charges.

Tevita Taga will miss five games for a mid-range offence while Remesio Maimasirua was handed a two-game ban.
As both did not apply for dispensation to qualify for second grade this week their penalties will not start until next season.

Bubba 2.0

Frank Nicholson (4)
Regardless of club allegiance , i dont think you could have asked for a better first weekend of semi final football at Connolly. The weather was magnificent and the rugby was cracking. Honestly that Tumut v Aggies game was a ripper . At 33-5 at half time to The Bulls ( which i doubt anyone would have picked !) the aggies comeback was remarkable . And then the Tumut fight back to claim victory was stirring stuff. Ripper game !

City v Tahs was similar stuff . I know my blood pressure was in dangerous territory at times. The rivals certainly know how to push each other .

I think Tumut will be the place to be on saturday . Tumut v Tahs , Leeton v Reddies , Tumut v Tahs (W) and City v Griffith makes for as very worthwile trip.

Up the Jumper

Herbert Moran (7)
Well done to City & Tumut on Saturday on winning their respective 1st Grade Finals.
Tumut will now host Waratahs at Tumut next Saturday in both 1st Grade (3;15pm) and Womens (2:00pm).
Leeton will play Reddies in 2nd Grade (12;25pm) and City will play Griffith in 3rd Grade (11;00am).
Grand Finalists at this stage for August 17 are City (1st & 2nd Grade), Griffith (Womens) & Hay (3rd Grade)
I'll have a go at some "Kiss of Death" selections later on in the Week

Hollywood Mike

Frank Row (1)
Cracking day in Tumut for rugby with close games across the board!!

Tumut 1st grade definitely didn’t leave anything in the tank in a great display of rugby in front of their home crowd!! But just missed out.

Can Waratahs make it 2 in a row and carry this momentum into next week or City still untouchable at the top of the ladder??

Keen for next weeks grand final

Up the Jumper

Herbert Moran (7)
Probably not that big a surprise that City & Waratahs will play in the GF next Saturday although Tumut to their credit must have played very well yesterday.
The 1st Grade, 2nd Grade & Womens' Grand Finals will all feature an undefeated team trying to maintain that record next Saturday.
Wagga City are undefeated in 1st & 2nd Grade and the Griffith Blacks Womens' team is also undefeated.
The 3rd Grade GF will be played at 10:45am between Hay & Grriffith, City will take on CSU Reddies in 2nd Grade at 12:15pm followed by Griffith facing up against Tumut in the Women's decider at 1:55pm and the 1st Grade GF will kick off at 3:15 between City and Waratahs.
Best of luck to all teams and let's hope that the weather next Saturday is as good as yesterday.
Early bird selections are City, City, Griffith and Hay and hopefully all the deciders are exciting and close encounters.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Cracking day in Tumut for rugby with close games across the board!!

Tumut 1st grade definitely didn’t leave anything in the tank in a great display of rugby in front of their home crowd!! But just missed out.

Can Waratahs make it 2 in a row and carry this momentum into next week or City still untouchable at the top of the ladder??

Keen for next weeks grand final
6:32am is too early on a Sunday to be posting on a footy forum.

Up the Jumper

Herbert Moran (7)
Hopefully we will see some keenly contested Grand Finals this Saturday in Wagga.
Some wet weather earlier in the Week and plenty of showers forecast for Friday (10 -20mm) and Saturday (1-5mm) will more than likely even up most of the deciders.
I wouldn't have a clue about 3rds & 2nd Grade but will select the defending Premiers in each Grade (Hay to beat Griffith in 3rds & City to prove too strong for Reddies in 2nd Grade)
The Tumut Women's team has made a late charge into the Finals since the middle of the season and their come from behind win at Tumut against defending premiers Waratahs last Saturday was impressive, however I reckon the undefeated Griffith Women will be a tough nut to crack at the neutral venue at Conolly Rugby Park in Wagga on Saturday and will win the Premiership.
The 1st Grade decider between City & Waratahs should be a close and torrid affair for the full 80 minutes as was their recent major Semi final which City won 38-30 a fortnight ago.
On that occasion both teams scored 5 tries each with the City kicker kicking all his attempts at goal and the Waratah's kicker missed 4 conversions from 5.
The winner of this year's Grand Final will want to have an accurate goal kicker in their team and the team that shows the better discipline over the full 80 minutes will probably be celebrating on Saturday afternoon and evening.
I can't split both teams and although City are undefeated they have shown some vulnerability in recent weeks against Tumut and Waratahs mainly due to their rising injury toll in the last month and a couple of player suspensions.
Waratahs thrive on being the underdogs and proved that with their big win in last year's GF against City.
My prediction is a draw at full time (lets say 15 all) and Waratahs to clinch victory in extra time due to their 2 previous tough finals against City & Tumut in the past fortnight.
Good luck to all Clubs competing and let's hope the Rugby played is entertaining and played at the highest level.

Bubba 2.0

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well i'm happy to accept UTJ predictions as he has tipped against City in 1's the last few starts . Which going by all results indicates a win for us ?

Either way should be some cracking games at Connolly . My 5 cents ? Hay in 3's , Griffith in Womens , City in 2's and City in 1's . I am not suggesting margins !

If City wins 2's it will be a 3rd premiership in a row in that grade.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Anyone running a market for this weekend? I'm crossing my fingers for some tight games across the board this weekend. It's shaping up to be an awesome day for rugby !!

First Grade: Tahs by less than 10. My mail says that the City Men are carrying some niggles, hopefully the week off has given them some time to rest. Will Tahs be better for taking the long road? Finals footy is a different kettle of fish to the regular season, does the week off help or hinder City?
Seconds: City by 12. Sending big love to SIRU's most successful second grade team making it to the GF from 3rd place. This weekend will be a tough gig for the Red Men, City have been a tough team to get past this year though and have a pretty impressive for and against so will probably be keen to show some muscle there.
Women's: Griffith by 10 plus Similar to City in 2's, the Blacks have been a formidable outfit this year and Tumut have their work cut out for themselves but have done bloody well to get over Tahs to make it to the big dance.
Thirsty Thirds: Griffith by less than 10 I hear good things building with a young Blacks third grade team, kudos to the Cutters for getting to another GF though, I'm sure they will bring their brand of bush footy to the table this weekend.

Up the Jumper

Herbert Moran (7)
Well there were some stunning results in the SIRU Womens' & 1st Grade Grand Finals yesterday.
The Tumut girls put the previously undefeated Griffith Blacks to the sword with a very impressive 39-15 victory and raced in for 7 tries with many of them from long range.
Waratahs then came out in the 1st Grade decider and thoroughly outplayed the previously undefeated Wagga City side in winning 33-6 and scoring 5 tries to nil.
So that is 2 years in a row that City have faded badly on the big stage when the Premierships are handed out.
Injuries and unavailabilities happen to all teams but City just looked so dis-jointed all over the paddock during yesterday's Grand Final that their supporters must wonder how well did they prepare in the Week they had off leading up to yesterday's decider. City ran sideways with the ball throughout the match and their poor handling at times had their supporters pulling their hair out.
Well done to City 2nd Grade for keeping the flag flying for the Club in defeating the CSU Reddies and congratulations to Hay on their 33-0 whitewash of Griffith - you get the impression that Hay will be playing in a higher Grade in 2025 after yesterday's result.

Maulalltheway

Tom Lawton (22)
Congrats to all sides who played on the weekend.
Regardless of the results I think Wagga City should be proud of the program they have developed over the last 5 seasons.
Huge congrats to Tumut ladies side. Amazing performance and a huge turn around from 2023 to 2024