• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Southern Inland Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
What is it with the politics in Wagga rugby? Why is it that City seem to be the club that fluctuates in fortunes? Waratahs always exist on a superior plane compared to the Lollies. J might LTBL but the city of good sports seems to love a club with a more refined patronage.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/5105029/new-and-old-faces-on-the-way-for-albury/?cs=149

Looks like Albury are keen to make a resurgence, interesting comments from Paul Musarra. He says they have never really been very successful recruiting players...

Pretty sure without their player recruitment they would not have won in 2015 and probably 2013

The long term plan is to recruit half a team each year... That should attract the locals...

With a new plan, some new faces and a few older ones returning back Musarra believes they can lay a path to success for years to come.

“We’ve had a couple of years where we have struggled for players so I think we realistically have to start looking at recruiting like some other clubs do,” he said.

“We have never done it really well.

“In fits and starts we have with the odd Pom coming over and a couple of South Africans guy but I think we are going to get some structures in place so every year we make sure we have half a dozen players coming over.”

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
What is it with the politics in Wagga rugby? Why is it that City seem to be the club that fluctuates in fortunes? Waratahs always exist on a superior plane compared to the Lollies. J might LTBL but the city of good sports seems to love a club with a more refined patronage.

What are you saying in that last sentence Paul? (J might LTBL???)

namtrak

Johnnie Wallace (23)
http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/5105029/new-and-old-faces-on-the-way-for-albury/?cs=149

“We’ve had a couple of years where we have struggled for players so I think we realistically have to start looking at recruiting like some other clubs do,” he said.

“We have never done it really well.

“In fits and starts we have with the odd Pom coming over and a couple of South Africans guy but I think we are going to get some structures in place so every year we make sure we have half a dozen players coming over.”

Some interesting comments there from the new old coach. Suggesting they haven’t really recruited well, and in the same breath naming three of those recruits as players returning to the club for 2018. What he probably meant to say was that when the leadership of the committee changed in 2016 they made a mistake when they decided they could grow the club organically and shouldn’t need to recruit any players.

The bottom line is, all the clubs in SIRU need to bring in new players just to maintain a even footing. It’s the way of the future for club rugby, and the smarter regional clubs are with their recruitment the better they will perform.

paul bristow

Charlie Fox (21)
Bandar don't City sign off their game reports on their FB page JLTBL. Which I assume stands for Jesus loves the Boiled Lollies.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
It all make sense now :)

Yeah I do like the tradition of the 'Boiled Lollies' and can see where you are coming from, but Waratah or Steamer wouldn't really inspire the kids a great deal either. Personally I'd rather be called a boiled lolly than a steamer ;)

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Personally I'd rather be called a boiled lolly than a steamer ;)

I always thought the blurb on the Steamers old rugbynet page was pretty funny, something along the lines of "German video enthusiast" in reference to the Steamer...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Any News from the SIRU AGM last Sunday ?
quote]
The usual discussion around competition format and the 2018 Finals Series will be forwarded to all clubs. Some clubs looking to extend the regular season and SIRU putting forward a proposal for a "Crossover" type format to assist with this which would create at least two extra games per club. SIRU proposing a Top 6 Finals Series in 2018, my gut feeling is that clubs will run with the present Top 5 Finals Series as it rewards the Minor Premier. Personally, I think the Top 5 format hurts the Minor Premier but I can see the hosting rights are important to the clubs and is an incentive that they're keen on retaining. The "two general byes in a row" issue was raised for the SIRU and Brumbies Provincial vs NSW Country game. As much as this frustrates me and puts a dent in the season calendar, I can't see this changing. Standardised kickoff times and durations was raised for 2018 which will hopefully result in 35min halves for 2nd Grade all year along with 30min halves for 3rds. It'd be good to retain some consistency around this for the full season. Edwina Hayes (Albury) made the board which is good to see some new blood on there. A shame to see Harriet Elleman not make the cut, it would have been interesting to see what impact two (relatively) new bodies would have on the board. There were a few other items discussed, clubs will get the minutes soon I would expect.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Has there been any news on the draw for the up coming season? Are there a couple of extra rounds and has the finals been changed? Does anyone know when a draw will be released?

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Has there been any news on the draw for the up coming season? Are there a couple of extra rounds and has the finals been changed? Does anyone know when a draw will be released?

I think the club's needed to respond to SIRU about their preferences for the additional rounds and change to finals series. I can see some value in the additional rounds but I'd be surprised if club's voted for the top 6 format. I don't have any mail on when the new draw will be out sorry folks.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
My mail is that not enough Clubs supported the xtra 2 rounds
i'm happy they kept it at 14 Rounds - Home and Away
It is Fair, its a Top 5 so if you can't qualify for the Finals by coming 6th, 7th or 8th you don't deserve to be playing any more Games
Waratahs apparently have recruited very very well and a bit of a rumour going around that the Cheque Book has been opened up again at Albury after a couple of lean years for the Steamers
the word is City are struggling with several players leaving in the off season
Griffith could be a surprise packet with their new Coach
Looking forward to the April 7 kick Off

My mail says otherwise, there was support from the clubs about additional rounds. I wonder what sort of forward planning the SIRU Board put into this concept? Potentially it's something that could be in train for the 2019 with the 2018 season used as an opportunity to discuss such options. I see Aggies have also got a hot young recruit back on board. McTaggart to Duffy could be a strong halves combination and we don't know which schoolboys are going to show up at the club yet. Led well by Coach Mitchell, the Aggies boys seem to have a strong foundation at the moment. I wonder if Tumut will pick up some league players since Tumba's demise? Or will these players head to Gundagai? Tumut appear to have a strong club culture there which might be attractive to some of the fringe players to be a part of?

Silver fox

Stan Wickham (3)
Two weeks to go to kick off of the 2018 comp, lots of new and old faces, some gone, some come.
Who will be the big movers in 2018, Albury could be a dark horse, Tumut will be strong in the forwards still, backs?, Ag College could be the Winx of SIRU?, Leeton will definitely be strong and retain quite a few of last years team, Griffith will make a big resurgence and rightly so, hopefully CSU will be competitive but need to do some work this year for future years, City is anyone’s guess at the moment but they will always be competitive and play a strong role, and then there is Waratahs, the blue baggers may have a few new recruits to reveal in round 1????

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Two weeks to go to kick off of the 2018 comp, lots of new and old faces, some gone, some come.
Who will be the big movers in 2018,

I think you're reasonably close there mate, I hear good things out of Albury, Tumut retain the majority of their team, same for Leeton.

CSU have picked up a couple of players, Aggies are reasonably quiet, City have lost some depth, Waratahs see some old faces return.

I haven't heard much out of the MIA so far this season but expect Leeton to be healthy and hopefully Griffith can improve on last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.