• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sonny Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Kick, latest reports are $BW will sign for the Roosters (NRL) and will continue to box.

Rakic was also claiming that the Roosters are trying to lure Cooper as well, although he thinks that Cooper to the new Brisbane league team in 2014 is basically a done deal.

W

What2040

Rakic was also claiming that the Roosters are trying to lure Cooper as well, although he thinks that Cooper to the new Brisbane league team in 2014 is basically a done deal.

Cooper is an athlete and would be sensational at league for a short time. They, the opposition would work him out quickly and he would be put under more direct pressure than he has experienced in union. Tacklers would be lining up on him bigtime as well as support players one or two off the ruck (for Quades long pass). Very few players have been able to make the transition, although John Brass and Richardson did at 10 (maybe Wally Lewis but as a young fella)

S

spooony

There's 2 less players on the field, and they're standing 10metres behind the ruck. Cooper would love that extra time and space.
Yes and no one knows THAT move he likes to do.
Australia-graphic-001.jpg

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Cooper will never be the same player again. That knee, the way it went, it's gonna haunt him and it will get re-injured sooner rather than later.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Cooper is an athlete and would be sensational at league for a short time. They, the opposition would work him out quickly and he would be put under more direct pressure than he has experienced in union. Tacklers would be lining up on him bigtime as well as support players one or two off the ruck (for Quades long pass). Very few players have been able to make the transition, although John Brass and Richardson did at 10 (maybe Wally Lewis but as a young fella)

Tend to agree, but also agree with BJ that the 10m makes a lot of difference - a bit more time and space for league halfbacks/five-eighths to deal with. Look at Benji Marshall when he roams wide - still finds plenty of space a pass or two wide of the ruck to shoot long passes or put in an audcaious step. I would imagine that Marshall and Cooper would not be dissimilar players in league.

Wally Lewis never transitioned to league - he was merely a league player who played union (fantastically well) at school. Lewis came from a league family, his dad was a league coach.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Cooper will never be the same player again. That knee, the way it went, it's gonna haunt him and it will get re-injured sooner rather than later.
Unlikely to get reinjured if the surgeon did a good job. ACL grafts are usually stronger than before.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
On form he is, as he was last year as well.
Form didn't stop Ma'a being selected for the AB's last year.

At the same time, Nonu wasn't as anonymous last year in Super Rugby as he has been this year. I mean the Blues made it all the way to the semi final's so he couldn't have been playing poorly. He hasn't been helped this year by the Blues playing so poorly, but he certainly hasn't stood out in what has been a terrible team this year.

Secondly, he had been in the 12 jersey for the whole of the previous 4 year cycle leading up to the RWC. For continuity reasons it made sense to make as few changes as possible in the year of the world cup, particularly since the AB's had done so well the previous year. The 3 wise men were well aware of the impact that the lack of continuity had on their team in the previous RWC and they weren't about to make the same mistake again!

Now however, we are at the beginning of a new 4 year cycle, with a (somewhat) new coaching staff. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few changes.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Last year he played with Wellington and he did nothing.
It is a very valid point about the 4 year cycle, and TBH he did not let them down when he was selected.
That's the good thing about depth, you can make selection errors and it doesn't matter.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Very few players have been able to make the transition, although John Brass and Richardson did at 10 (maybe Wally Lewis but as a young fella)

Arthur Summons, Phil Hawthorne, Jim Lisle, Len Diett, Tony Melrose and John Ballesty all made the switch at 5/8 - not sure whether Trevor Allen played there in loig or at centre. Kenny Wright played some first grade, not sure whether Russell Fairfax played at 5/8 or at fullback (I was overseas, and not all that interested).

A lot more players made the transition very successfully, in other positions, but I assume you are only talking about 5/8s.

As an aside, Reg Gasnier played five-eighth for Combined High Schools in rugby, and Bobby Fulton for Combined Services. But we won't count them. :)

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
It is a very valid point about the 4 year cycle, and TBH he did not let them down when he was selected.
That's the good thing about depth, you can make selection errors and it doesn't matter.

That is quite an embarrassing mistake really, but thanks for waking me up on this Friday morning...

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
At the same time, Nonu wasn't as anonymous last year in Super Rugby as he has been this year. I mean the Blues made it all the way to the semi final's so he couldn't have been playing poorly. He hasn't been helped this year by the Blues playing so poorly, but he certainly hasn't stood out in what has been a terrible team this year.

Secondly, he had been in the 12 jersey for the whole of the previous 4 year cycle leading up to the RWC. For continuity reasons it made sense to make as few changes as possible in the year of the world cup, particularly since the AB's had done so well the previous year. The 3 wise men were well aware of the impact that the lack of continuity had on their team in the previous RWC and they weren't about to make the same mistake again!

Now however, we are at the beginning of a new 4 year cycle, with a (somewhat) new coaching staff. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few changes.

Itll be Interesting seeing him play a full (or close too full) test, see if hes a pressure man. Hopefully no world cup no arm tackles. Will it keep him in Union though?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)

The other interesting thing was that Nonu and Conrad Smith had played 12 and 13 for both the Hurricanes and the ABs for the whole four year period. Another reason not to break up the combination. Now they have been broken up at Super Rugby level. At the same time, SBW and Kahui are forming a strong partnership at the Chiefs. Could we see this combo starting for the ABs?

Some interesting decisions lie ahead for Hansen and his men...

Sir Arthur Higgins

Dick Tooth (41)
I'd be surprised to see Smith lose the 13. In an up and down team, I think he's been pretty solid as ever in 13. His style of play brings a different dimension to the all blacks back line as well. that said, kahui has looked good so far...but I think smith is one of the key cogs in the AB backline along with DC and Dagg.
I wonder if this will help sonny bill stay. i'd like to see him sign something for more than a year...as quade can probably attest, not the best tactic to go year to year.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)

I agree. The selectors will have a hard job. From what I have seen most of the World Cup players are struggling in the S15 this year.

With this poor form in mind, the appointment of new coaches (and the McKenzie blowtorch to Deans) and the start of the WC cycle, I can see lots of controversial selections that will focus on younger players in NZ, Oz and RSA.

NZ won't let SBW get away without a fight.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Halfback is probably the hardest position to pick for the ABs at the moment. Kerr-Barlow was playing really well but is now injured. Weepu is out of condition but could be back in contention by the time the Rugby Championship comes around. Andy Ellis is still there or there abouts.

Carter would have to be 10 although Cruden has been superb this season. He has really matured into a fantastic 10 and is a big reason why the Chiefs are doing so well.

On form, SBW would have to be 12 although Ma'a Nonu is the incumbent. I'd pick SBW as reward for an excellent season.

I think Conrad Smith has had a good season and has done plenty to keep his 13 jersey. Kahui would probably be in line for a bench spot due to his versatility and Fruean has been excellent but would still miss out.

Corey Jane, Zac Guildford and Richard Kahui would be front runners for the wing positions. Andre Taylor would need to be considered due to his superb Super Rugby season (and the fact that Israel Dagg will be fullback). In my opinion, Andre Taylor is the most exciting find of the season for the Kiwis.

Fullback would be Dagg. Andre Taylor is the next best.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
SBW is not a typical NZ 12. Neither is Nonu.
Cruden @ 10 and DC at 12 has a more NZ look about it.
SBW can do the one handed flicks and showboating but he is not what I would call a "deft" player - which is the style the Kiwis traditionally look for at 12 - thats why they call it "second five". Nonu being a successful aberration in that department may tempt them to think this is the new paradigm and go for SBW.
I would rather face SBW at 12 than 13.
SBW does not suit Smith's style of play, despite Smith's ability to adapt to almost anything: IMO the ABs will build their back line around Smith and, to a lesser extent, Carter - depending on how Carter travels from here on in.
I can't really see a reason to pick SBW ahead of Nonu that is connected with the playing of the game but there might be other considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.