• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Sonny Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
SBW is back playing as a rampaging league second rower this season and looks the better for it. He does wonderful, damaging crash balls, but then can range wider and use those soft hands to create opportunities for those around him.

To me he is the form 12 in the S15 and looks much better at 12 than he has ever looked at 13.

he is certainly having a bigger impact this year - but does that style of play translate to tests against South Africa? It will probably be good enough against us

T

TOCC

After losing one of their most marketable players in Benji Marshall, losing SBW would go down like a lead balloon amongst the NRL fraternity... Not to mention the likelihood that Izzy will remain in Rugby Union.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
After losing one of their most marketable players in Benji Marshall, losing SBW would go down like a lead balloon amongst the NRL fraternity. Not to mention the likelihood that Izzy will remain in Rugby Union.

Yep, they will be crying all the way to the bank.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Funny that the "Greatest game in the world" seems to lose its players rather frequently when another code comes calling

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Funny that the "Greatest game in the world" seems to lose its players rather frequently when another code comes calling

Are you serious? Frequently?

You do understand that all these chaps are professionals? They will play for however pays them the most, usually. In the vast majority of cases, that is still the NRL.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Yep Wamberal, except for Benji who is taking a pay cut, and nomally they would get more in Japan or France.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yep Wamberal, except for Benji who is taking a pay cut, and nomally they would get more in Japan or France.

Benji can afford to take a pay cut. Yes, there are a few opportunities in Japan and France, but there are far, far, more in the NRL and even in the NSW and Qld club competitions, and the national youth competition.

On the whole, there is far more money, and far more opportunities, in loig in Australia. Exceptions do not prove the rule.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Are you serious? Frequently?

Well maybe not frequently but they've possibly lost 3 of their most marketable stars this year alone, any tug of war between RL and other codes I've seen over the past few years has seen RL lose out.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well maybe not frequently but they've possibly lost 3 of their most marketable stars this year alone, any tug of war between RL and other codes I've seen over the past few years has seen RL lose out.

Rose tinted glasses. The NRL is doing fine, by almost all measures. Just look at their TV deal. A billion. That is big, big money.

Of course rugby, and the AFL, have been able to cherry pick an occasional star. That is because the NRL has a salary cap regime that does not allow much wriggle room for marquee players. That is likely to change soon. When it does, it could be mayhem for our handful of real stars, because they will be offered far more than we can afford.

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
NRL also realising the threat of 7s with their Nines league competition.

I think they're making a huuuuge mistake here. All they're doing is exposing their players to a professional shorter version of their game, if they end up enjoying it they're going to want more and bigger recognition - Rugby 7s. They're going to lose players to there in the next few years with the Olympics.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Not sure if NRL is doing fine by any measure.
In the Manly A grade today, in one semi final Valley A grade played Valley a res team(they had to merge the A & A reserve comp this year, due to lack of numbers).In the other semi Narraweena played Narrabeen who have played twice in the last 7 weeks due to forfeits.
There entire opens comp basically imploded this year.
bear in mind, this is a combined Manly/North sydney competition.
If you want to play League after U19's, you don't have many options in this Rugby League stronghold.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Benji can afford to take a pay cut. Yes, there are a few opportunities in Japan and France, but there are far, far, more in the NRL and even in the NSW and Qld club competitions, and the national youth competition.

On the whole, there is far more money, and far more opportunities, in loig in Australia. Exceptions do not prove the rule.
I actually believe a few of the players change because of vanity, I always believe that the likes of Sailor etc changed to become international "stars' , Sailor I always probably got sick of hearing about Jonah Lomu, and how big he was globally, and Sailor was known by everyone in Sydney and Brisbane. It not a dig at league Wam, just something I believe, even Sonny Bill, is worth miles more as a Brand name in union than League where when he changed noone outside NZ and parts of Aus knew him!! And that is where the big money is, Adidas still pay Lomu a couple a mill a year to be a spokesman/figurehead!!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Also the fact that by playing Rugby in NZ players like SBW and Marshall are able to easily shop themselves to big money French and Japanese clubs.

As long as their bodies hold up there blokes can cash in during their 30s playing less intense rugby and having proper pre seasons.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
I actually believe a few of the players change because of vanity, I always believe that the likes of Sailor etc changed to become international "stars' , Sailor I always probably got sick of hearing about Jonah Lomu, and how big he was globally, and Sailor was known by everyone in Sydney and Brisbane. It not a dig at league Wam, just something I believe, even Sonny Bill, is worth miles more as a Brand name in union than League where when he changed noone outside NZ and parts of Aus knew him!! And that is where the big money is, Adidas still pay Lomu a couple a mill a year to be a spokesman/figurehead!!

Also on SBW chance to get a WC winners medal. Being part of the team that broke the drought is going to get more important as time goes on.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Fivekick is a very successful niche sport on the Eastern Seaboard of Australia, with plenty of money in the bank on the back of (previously) rivers of gold flowing into it from the Poker Machine clubs.

It has all the international relevance of Yorkshire Cheese rolling, or Hungarian Bog Snorkeling. It appeals to the our inner bogan and NRL marketing makes much of this.

My tin foil hat tells me that the NRL are partially funded by the NZRU to keep the ARU from having access to all proper collision oval ball sportsmen when it comes time to select the Wobs at Bledisloe Cup time. It is in their best interests to have the rugby gene pool split across the two codes.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Geez HJ, you saw through the NZRU's dastardly deed huh?? Geez how do you think they could get all that sponsorship if ARU had a real strong team??;)

Status
Not open for further replies.