• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Six Nations 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Enjoyed the England and Scotland game where Scotland showed the real deal expected with in particular terrific defence. This was the Scotland to my mind that thrashed the Wallabies and nearly beat the All Blacks.

Got to also call out what great referring by Nigel Owens, have to be one of the best refs in world rugby as such a great communicator and helps with good flow of the game.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I think Nige had a good game: he's got a double issue though:

First: Flare for the dramatic. Steve Walsh had a bit of the same thing. Fine as long as it doesn't interfere too much, which it doesn't.

Second: He doesn't like giving penalties to the attacking team unless the infringement had a direct impact on the play.

Case in point: the English Intercept non-try: there's a clear infringement in the ruck by the English player, who takes too long to remove his hands from the ball after being told to. But instead of giving the advantage Nige just lets play continue. As a direct result of the slowed down ball, the english defensive line is well set and the pass is slow and loopy, allowing for the interception, at which point Nige then blows the penalty.

From a Fans perspective, and a players I assume, that's got to be ridiculously frustrating to deal with.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Owens is probably the only referee in World Rugby who is good enough to get away with being a bit loose with his interpretations as Highlander points out above.

His willingness to back himself on decisions where others would seek to use the TMO is noble and due to how good he is, he doesn't get found out too much. There's certainly a risk here that he will make the wrong call in what turns out to be a big moment where protocol suggests he should have gone to the TMO.

From the above though is why he has often been criticised for favouring the All Blacks. He likes to play on with no call rather than call advantage as much as possible and that allows the best teams (the All Blacks) to take a little bit of advantage at each phase by slowing the ball down, creeping offside etc.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Owens is probably the only referee in World Rugby who is good enough to get away with being a bit loose with his interpretations as Highlander points out above.

His willingness to back himself on decisions where others would seek to use the TMO is noble and due to how good he is, he doesn't get found out too much. There's certainly a risk here that he will make the wrong call in what turns out to be a big moment where protocol suggests he should have gone to the TMO.

From the above though is why he has often been criticised for favouring the All Blacks. He likes to play on with no call rather than call advantage as much as possible and that allows the best teams (the All Blacks) to take a little bit of advantage at each phase by slowing the ball down, creeping offside etc.

Which really demonstrates that the best teams are much cleverer at adapting to the referee, which I would suggest describes the All Blacks.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I think we need to be prepared to let a few calls slide as fans for the sake of game flow.

That weekend of super rugby was friggin painful.

If it continues I'll be watching the league.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Sounds like we could be in for a world of hurt again in June/July. The Darkness always seems to get the teams on the way down, while we're forced to deal with the 6 Nation champs!!

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sounds like we could be in for a world of hurt again in June/July. The Darkness always seems to get the teams on the way down, while we're forced to deal with the 6 Nation champs!!
Hopefully we fill a stadium and pay them the respect they deserve.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Its just Fast Eddie trying to be a prick in a semi-private function. Now the word has got out at the very worst time, just when England didn't need for Ireland to get any more motivation. Karma.

T

TOCC

I've loved the quality of the 6 Nations rugby in 2017-2018, that and the crowds and atmosphere at the games have made it the premier rugby tournament, stealing the crown of the Rugby Championship

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ireland Grand Slam, 6 Nations, tripple crown and world number 2. Good tournament for us.

Now a clean sweep in June so we can face the ABS going for win number 18 in a row

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.