• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Six Nations 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
That's what happens when you schedule the world's best annual rugby tournament in some of its worst weather.

Yep Amirite, but unfortunately Rugby is traditionally a winter sport. Not really sure when would be a better time.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'm with IS on this one to some degree. Watching those 30-something phases and the ultimate drop goal, it struck me that the odds of stringing that many phases together from you own half without an error or conceding a turnover / penalty must be slim. And yet in all those phases there was very little creative play from Ireland, and the French defence was not really stretched except by maybe waning stamina. Kudos to Ireland for actually getting the win, but I can't imagine the ABs would have taken the same approach in attack or defence as either of those teams. Or the Wallabies (although that might be for other reasons! ;) )If nothing else, it was great theatre.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep Amirite, but unfortunately Rugby is traditionally a winter sport. Not really sure when would be a better time.

My mistake mate, you're spot on. They definitely don't play rugby 3 months either side of the 6 nations in far better weather. I stand corrected.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
My mistake mate, you're spot on. They definitely don't play rugby 3 months either side of the 6 nations in far better weather. I stand corrected.

Amirite, the unfortunate thing is weather between now and end of season tends to be pretty iffy in Britain anyway, and you don't really want a tournament like 6N (or Rugby Championship etc) early in season, you want to get your players in pretty good condition rugby wise etc.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Amirite, the unfortunate thing is weather between now and end of season tends to be pretty iffy in Britain anyway, and you don't really want a tournament like 6N (or Rugby Championship etc) early in season, you want to get your players in pretty good condition rugby wise etc.

There's cold, which it is for the next 2 months, and then there's frozen pitches (which is a common issue at this time of year). Different levels.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Standings after Round 1:

1. England 5 points, points differential +31
2. Wales 5, +27
3. Ireland 4
4. France 1
5. Scotland 0, -27
6. Italy 0, -31

Round 2, 10/11 Feb:

Ireland v Italy
England v Wales
Scotland v France

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Well, I have to say the England/Wales game was another proper test match. I really enjoyed it, and was pretty impressed with some of those players. I would find it fairly hard to see anyone being much better than Owen Farrell , he really has got a really bloody good all round game, and behind that Pom pack with Ford inside him at 10, they certainly know how to take a game away from opposition. Mike Brown at 15 is a ripper too, would be interesting debate to say who is best 15 in world right now, also think Wales misses halfpenny who is pretty good there too. Pom second row of Laucnchberry, Itojie and Lawes (Itojie and Lawes swap a bit at 4 + 6) are bloody good. All in all great test with the tackle by Underhill on Welsh winger one that will live in folklore as long as the Gregan one on Wilson I think.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Recorded it, but we planned to watch it only if Wales won. Just cannot abide watching the Poms these days, unless and until they lose a game.

I would watch a game against the Darkness live, though. When, oh when?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/43019960

Eddie Jones tried to wind-up Wales during the week - typical him, he's been a wind-up merchant for years. He says that "We must respect the TMO" - he'd be chief whinger if the TMO's decision was against his team.

I hope that France, Ireland, and Scotland knock-over the Poms (smug bastards, especially Hartley, Farrell, and Brown) - A.B.E.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Scotland v France.

An entertaining match. Finn Russel had a mare - not a match for his "Best of" video collection.

A narrow win for Scotland.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well, I have to say the England/Wales game was another proper test match. I really enjoyed it, and was pretty impressed with some of those players. I would find it fairly hard to see anyone being much better than Owen Farrell , he really has got a really bloody good all round game, and behind that Pom pack with Ford inside him at 10, they certainly know how to take a game away from opposition. Mike Brown at 15 is a ripper too, would be interesting debate to say who is best 15 in world right now, also think Wales misses halfpenny who is pretty good there too. Pom second row of Laucnchberry, Itojie and Lawes (Itojie and Lawes swap a bit at 4 + 6) are bloody good. All in all great test with the tackle by Underhill on Welsh winger one that will live in folklore as long as the Gregan one on Wilson I think.

Bun Smuth is the best fullback in the world, defo.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Bun Smuth is the best fullback in the world, defo.

I tend to think that Derpus, but also have to allow for the fact I maybe biased being a kiwi.
But will say in Smith, Folau, Brown, Halfpenny and Hogg there are a few good No 15s running around world rugby at moment.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hogg can't defend, Folau can't kick, and Halfpenny is perma-crocked. Brown is orite i guess.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
HT for Ireland v Wales. Both teams playing well, with Wales taking their chances when they can. Ireland perhaps could be criticised for not using the ball when they have it.

Ireland lead by 2 at the moment, but somehow I think their bench powered on by a vocal Dublin crowd will bring the Paddys home.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Geez that was on the edge of seat stuff at end of game, try at fulltime to pad out score. Enjoyed game ,but thought Irish won with a real basic formula and Wales looked worried about attacking rucks etc. My one reservation about tweeks to laws is some games look too much like League where you just get the ball and other team can't win it back.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Watched a bit of Ireland Wales and England Scotland.

Why can't super rugby be officiated the way they do it?

Clearly what went on over the weekend, came from Sanzar and not the IRB.

We're stopping to look at video for knock downs, it was a friggin' joke.

A scottish player took off to snatch an intercept and spilled it, Nigel Owens simply said 'he could've caught the ball' and packed the scrum, based on what I saw over the weekend we would've spent 5 minutes analysing it on video.

Status
Not open for further replies.