• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2024

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What are some of our way too early ladder predictions?

1) Phil Waugh announces funding for everyone so Sydney Uni can become the dominant club in the country.
2) Clubs continue to warehouse players so they can continue to rip kids off for $500 to sit on the Colts 4 bench.
3) Everyone in club land pretends the game is in awesome shape, despite the obvious signs it isn't

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
The Rats cohort that has been so dominant through juniors and recently Colts, will be making it's way into grade this year.
I expect we'll see some of them popping up in 2nd grade at least

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Few players have gone to the MLR I saw but I'm sure they still have pull. Some of the guys they got towards the end of the season were impressive. Freeman toured with the Force but wasn't named in the 2024 squad so hopefully they get him back.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
What I noticed from FuseSport last year was the Rats having a pretty bloody good run at Colts generally.

When does that translate into senior success?

Most of these guys are only 20 at this stage and I'm assuming do a bit of time in 2nd or 3rd XV until their physicality matches their skill and fitness.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Think it translates to strength in 2nd & 3rd Grade more than 1st as your very best are likely to pick up professional deals either here or overseas at some level.

Do they pop back up at the Rats when 25-26 and dominate? maybe. Seems to be the way a lot of Clubs find success is getting the fringe level pros in their physical prime. The successful Rats team of recent history with the Holmes brothers, Hamish Angus, Hunter Ward, Sam Needs, Sailosi Tagicakibau, Seb Wileman, Rory O’Connor, Cam Treloar, Dave Feltscheer

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
What I noticed from FuseSport last year was the Rats having a pretty bloody good run at Colts generally.

When does that translate into senior success?

Most of these guys are only 20 at this stage and I'm assuming do a bit of time in 2nd or 3rd XV until their physicality matches their skill and fitness.
I feel duty bound to point out that Colts 3s was won by the mighty Marlins.

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
I feel duty bound to point out that Colts 3s was won by the mighty Marlins.
whats the Marlins Colts program like these days? Are most of their players sourced from local clubs and schools? Or do they source from other areas?

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
whats the Marlins Colts program like these days? Are most of their players sourced from local clubs and schools? Or do they source from other areas?
Still predominantly locals, plus a fair few backpackers.
The previous coach did a bit of recruiting (he had been coach at Riverview) but that was a bit of a fizzer
There's almost too many guys in the system. Had ~140 guys in the program last year. Enough for 5 teams.
Even running 4 teams, every week 15-20 guys would miss out on a game

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Thanks Shanky - sounds like they need to get close to Manly Savers to take on their overflow who are trying to grow as a club - something weird happened there last year with team numbers though.
Subbies clubs have been doing it tough since covid but Shute Shield clubs have never looked better in terms of numbers. The 2 systems need to get talking about how they can share the load.