• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Haven't got time for details. Wet weather footy should keep scores lower than usual, but I'm going for a couple of blow outs. Rats and Woodies to be a real arm wrestle with the lead changing several times

Wests over Gordon by 10-15
Norths over EMU by 5 - 10
Rats over Eastwood < 10
MMM over Wicks >15-20
Uni over Hobbits >15
Mighty 2 Blues over Easts >20

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
There's two things that really annoy me about Wests. Apart from all the usual stuff like drop balls. One is defence. Especially the defence of the backs. The second is the forward attack play.

Good sides like Eastwood have two or more forwards moving forward to take the ball up. The 9 has a choice on who he passes to and it puts some doubt into the minds of the defence. Also when the tackle is made there is someone there instantly to lend support. Chris Hickey used to drum this into all the grades and you can see them do it from 4s to 1s. At Wests it's different. A solitary forward will stand flat footed some distance from the ruck for the 9 to pass to. Every defender knows he's getting the ball. Seconds after he's caught it he gets tackled then you wonder if there is a forward near enough to clean out in time. They've got some big units there but just don't make use of them.

It's pretty poor imo. They should drill these forwards to move up in numbers,utilise the 9,put some doubt into defenders,clean out ruthlessly,get some momentum going,get up and get around the corner and do it again. I lay the blame at the coaching staff not the players. They're only following orders.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wins to
Eastwood
Manly
Parra
Penrith
Uni

I notice that Wests play tonight at Drummoyne Oval - I think that this might be the 2nd time this year. Is this going to be a regular occurrence?

I haven't been to Drummoyne for a few years, but wouldn't the facilities at Concord be better? Is there a reason for the move?

Bomber Harris

Chris McKivat (8)
Fr
frier and turtle
Got to Latham Pk no Turtle but Mr Frier turned out for the losing Wicks - a great contribution although missed a tackle or two against younger nippier opponents was in all the tight stuff unlike some sea gulling mates , scored a try I believe and kept going to the end blowing hard - was heard to utter more than once " how much longer Sir" !

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Results Summary Round 11

First Grade - Shute Shield
West Harbour 29 Gordon 0 (Late game at Drummoyne Oval)
Penrith 35 Northern Suburbs 26
Eastwood 41 Warringah 24
Randwick 12 Manly 60
Southern Districts 18 Sydney University 30
Parramatta 53 Eastern Suburbs 20

Second Grade - Colin Caird Shield
West Harbour 16 Gordon 15
Penrith 24 Northern Suburbs 38
Eastwood 42 Warringah 14
Randwick 19 Manly 22
Southern Districts 25 Sydney University 45
Parramatta 24 Eastern Suburbs 28

Third Grade - Henderson Shield
West Harbour 34 Gordon 10
Penrith 10 Northern Suburbs 31
Eastwood 21 Warringah 28
Randwick 25 Manly 38
Southern Districts 13 Sydney University 17
Parramatta 17 Eastern Suburbs 24

Fourth Grade - Henderson Cup
West Harbour 57 Gordon 14
Penrith 80 Northern Suburbs 8
Eastwood 10 Warringah 8
Randwick 19 Manly 28
Southern Districts 14 Sydney University 17
Parramatta 27 Eastern Suburbs 14

Next Week - Round 12 14/06/14
Eastern Suburbs v West Harbour
Sydney University v Parramatta
Manly v Southern Districts
Warringah v Randwick
Northern Suburbs v Eastwood
Gordon v Penrith

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Got to Latham Pk no Turtle but Mr Frier turned out for the losing Wicks - a great contribution although missed a tackle or two against younger nippier opponents was in all the tight stuff unlike some sea gulling mates , scored a try I believe and kept going to the end blowing hard - was heard to utter more than once " how much longer Sir" !
I went straight to Coogee, great day for the club today - wicks are doing well in 3s and 4s so it was good to put them away.
Really liking the defensive lines the coaches have put together - I'll give them MOM for the work they put in whilst I work out what to write.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I went straight to Coogee, great day for the club today - wicks are doing well in 3s and 4s so it was good to put them away.
Really liking the defensive lines the coaches have put together - I'll give them MOM for the work they put in whilst I work out what to write.

All 4 grades at Coogee - once upon a time that was the Everest of Sydney rugby. Great day for the blues.:)

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
More madness from the coaching staff at Wests. They dredged up David Ossafua from playing 12 in 3rds last week to play 9 in 1sts. If they wanted a halfback that can't tackle they should have stuck with the pommy import. At least he has a nice pass.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
More madness from the coaching staff at Wests. They dredged up David Ossafua from playing 12 in 3rds last week to play 9 in 1sts. If they wanted a halfback that can't tackle they should have stuck with the pommy import. At least he has a nice pass.

Nothing like you Sunday morning reviews Paul - I always smile.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
What was intersting yesterday 2 league players who have been involved in coaching at Wallabies Defence were involved in coaching each side yesterday. Renowned defense coach Muggleton must have been impressed with the Manly D yesterday.
Wouldn't it be good if each coach could provide their reviews of the opposing teams D after that game, it would be an interesting read.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I notice that Wests play tonight at Drummoyne Oval - I think that this might be the 2nd time this year. Is this going to be a regular occurrence?

I haven't been to Drummoyne for a few years, but wouldn't the facilities at Concord be better? Is there a reason for the move?

Drummoyne Oval's facilities these days are far from bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.