• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugby Central

Charlie Fox (21)
The NSWRU has to step up and help Penrith get it's house in order. Clubs have to offer something to attract players, and I don't mean payments; they need good facilites, respected coaches, and most of all an enjoyable culture.

It's ridiculous that so many bloke are playing subbies yet the Shute Shield teams can't put out 4 grade teams.

What's truly ridiculous is that a 2nd Division Subbies team can make match payments to it's second grade fly-half

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
This might sound brutal but the NSWRU/ARU haven't helped any club that has struggled in the past decade. Think of the established clubs that have done it tough in some way or another but have dragged themselves back from the brink. I know this is through strong ulumni that Penrith don't have.

Grade Players head to Subbies for 2 primary reasons. 1 Training per week. Play at 1:30pm+ instead of 10:45am. It is less of a commitment for the same outcome. This is hard to argue with. The experience has to be unique and exceptional. It's tough to compete with - Trust me - I'm living it week in week out.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
The difference is, Dave, that Parramatta was able to build its resurrection through the dedication of life long followers and members of the club. These people were and are a part of the club's long and proud history.

Unfortunately Penrith does not have the same history, thus does not have the same people to build upon.
Actually, Parramatta was able to rebuild with a handful of the old faithfuls and an injection of new people with vision. Most of the old brigade abandoned the club when it got into trouble. They're drifting back now, you can tell, they're the ones trying to get in to games for free or criticising the current board and administration for not 'looking after' their sons that they sent to play at other clubs when things got tough.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Bandwagonners. Every club has them, Ryan09. Not only will they criticise the current administration, and seek to avoid paying entry fees and gain preferential treatment for their boys, but they mysteriously have:

a. something on during working bees no matter how much notice is given,
b. important family committments that prevent them from doing time in the canteen or the BBQ,
c. limited ability to find the bottom of their pockets at fundraising nights,
d. no small notes or change for the meat raffle,
e. nothing on in their lives when there is a freebie ticket for the Wobs or Tahs home games on offer,
f. a taste for boutique beer when it is your shout,
g. an ability to time their shout to when the President has $200 on the bar,
h. encyclopedic knowledge of Coaching skills and practices, and player performance assessment,
i. a working pair of rose coloured spectacles focused on how it was in the 80's/90's/"olden days",
j. no connection whatsoever with the bad times at the club, but "if only they had listened to me ...",
k. almost total responsibility for the good times at the club, back in the 80's/90's/"olden days".

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
This board has gone quiet, too quiet. So, to spark up some healthy Shute Shield discussion, here's my tips for this weekend:
West Harbour to narrowly beat the Rats
Manly too strong for Penrith
Norths to beat Randwick
Souths to roll Uni
Parra to win away v Easts
Eastwood to wake up with 20 to go and run away from Gordon
Fire away!!:)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
This board has gone quiet, too quiet. So, to spark up some healthy Shute Shield discussion, here's my tips for this weekend:
West Harbour to narrowly beat the Rats
Manly too strong for Penrith
Norths to beat Randwick
Souths to roll Uni
Parra to win away v Easts
Eastwood to wake up with 20 to go and run away from Gordon
Fire away!!:)

I'm obviously baised but I think the Wicks might surprise Norths provided (1) the young backline can contain Chris Tuatara-Morrison (released by the Force) and (2) the forwards can hold their own in the scrums.

I hate to say it but I also think Uni will end Souths unbeaten run.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
I'm obviously baised but I think the Wicks might surprise Norths provided (1) the young backline can contain Chris Tuatara-Morrison (released by the Force) and (2) the forwards can hold their own in the scrums.

I hate to say it but I also think Uni will end Souths unbeaten run.

West Harbour
Manly
Randwick - if Norths play like they did against uni or Souths
Souths hopefully but Uni were very very good on Friday night - More Friday night games please (especially when Tahs at ANZ on Saturday and a decent pre game on offer too - will probably miss a SS game to head to ANZ in time for Subbies vs Cockatoos)
Parra
Eastwood

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Hugh's random thought for the day.

Some clubs are offering a $50 season pass for all home games for 2013 Season.

For Season 2014 how about a $110 season pass for all Shute Shield games at all venues?
$10 for admin of the scheme to SRU, and to stock the SRU Boardroom Wine Cellar.
$50 to be retained by Club Selling the ticket. $50 to go into the a fund to be divided equally among all clubs when the Season Ticket Offer is closed (suggest after Round 1).

Effectively each club will get $54.16 for each ticket sold.

With $15 per ticket as the standard fee for a game, and assuming that a person is not likely to visit an away venue more than once, then the Away clubs MAY miss out on a possible $15 IF the Season ticket holder attends the Away venue, but ALL clubs WILL get $4.16 per season ticket sold across Sydney at the end of round 1 regardless of whether the Season ticket holder turns up to their oval on game day.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
Hugh's random thought for the day.

Some clubs are offering a $50 season pass for all home games for 2013 Season.

For Season 2014 how about a $110 season pass for all Shute Shield games at all venues?
$10 for admin of the scheme to SRU, and to stock the SRU Boardroom Wine Cellar.
$50 to be retained by Club Selling the ticket. $50 to go into the a fund to be divided equally among all clubs when the Season Ticket Offer is closed (suggest after Round 1).

Effectively each club will get $54.16 for each ticket sold.

With $15 per ticket as the standard fee for a game, and assuming that a person is not likely to visit an away venue more than once, then the Away clubs MAY miss out on a possible $15 IF the Season ticket holder attends the Away venue, but ALL clubs WILL get $4.16 per season ticket sold across Sydney at the end of round 1 regardless of whether the Season ticket holder turns up to their oval on game day.
Great idea, who sells a season ticket for $50 - I might get one for them next year anyway! Would make the decision of where to go on a Saturday easier!
A Gordon ticket this year would cost me $110 - $38 less than my Tahs membership (which includes a ticket for the Lions game)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Great idea, who sells a season ticket for $50 - I might get one for them next year anyway! Would make the decision of where to go on a Saturday easier!
A Gordon ticket this year would cost me $110 - $38 less than my Tahs membership (which includes a ticket for the Lions game)

Not surprising to see a canny Scot looking for a bargain!
Wicks season ticket is $50.
The sausage sambos are better at Coogee than Chatswood too ;)

Late Starter

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great idea Hugh, can you apply for a job at Sydney RU? Do they even have jobs there.

Thinking on the comment the other day about a dedicated website for the Schute Shield; there's really so much that could go into that. A lot of content can be supplied by each of the clubs but there could also be interviews each week, proper match previews etc etc. The site can make money through advertising but could also act as a shop front for merchandise or equipment. SRU obviously have a contract with the supplier of those terrible balls that are being used this year, so they can sell that company's equipment through the Shute Shield website and earn commission from it.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Great idea Hugh, can you apply for a job at Sydney RU? Do they even have jobs there.

Thinking on the comment the other day about a dedicated website for the Schute Shield; there's really so much that could go into that. A lot of content can be supplied by each of the clubs but there could also be interviews each week, proper match previews etc etc. The site can make money through advertising but could also act as a shop front for merchandise or equipment. SRU obviously have a contract with the supplier of those terrible balls that are being used this year, so they can sell that company's equipment through the Shute Shield website and earn commission from it.

All they need if to create a framework and hire someone to update it.

I'm sure G&G, other rugby fan sites, and the clubs' sites would be more than happy to have their content posted on the parent organisation's site providing proper citation and a link to their sites, it's standard practise.

Status
Not open for further replies.