• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Was a good effort by the 4ths team after Backing up from West Harbour on Wednesday Night. The club had lost a lot of players through injury and unavailability. We just ran out of legs after having our Breakaway sent to the bin for 10 and Norths scored a late try and converted from the sideline to win 18-16. After the close loss to West Harbour on Wednesday night (7-3) this was pretty heartbreaking but the fellas are going to shake up some teams in the coming Weeks. Good wins to 2nds and 3rds too.

Gibbo, how did you manage to get Mark Hartill and Tony Daly to play 4ths for you? Certainly a heavyweight bench.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
In response to The Galah and Dave Beats hyperbole regarding the 3m's or MMM I'd like to add the following. Since Manly last won the Shute Shield in 1997 against Eastwood the Manly playing roster has included some of the following players.
Forwards
Willie O, Simon Kerr, Tony Daly, Damien Cummins, Josh Mann Rae, James Lakepa, Ruben Bilj, Eddie Aholelei, Elvis Taione, Salesi Manu, Jono Owen, Tim Fairbrother, Stu Wilson, Sean Maloney, Jarrod Heaney, Bruce Raque, Greg Peterson, Dylan Sigg, Ed Gower, Luke Jones, Caderyn Neville, James Campbell, Tim O'Brien, Matt Hodgson, Simon Kasprowicz, Marlon Solofuti, Tevita Metuisela, Ben Kennedy, Kotone Ale, Jordy Reid, Cliffy Palu and Geaorge Smith.
Backs
Chris Siale, Lui Siale, Ben Seymour, Dave Collis, Paul Warwick, Chris Malone, Peter Hewat, Willie Ripia,Scott Daruda, Paul Sheedy, Mark Swanepoel, Chris Cottee, Tyrone Smith, Andrew Smith, Robbie Coleman, Semi Taupeaafe, Meli Nakauta, Alaska Taufa, Emori Bolo Bolo, Nemani Nadolo, Leon Bott, Adam Darcy, Josh Valentine, Sam Harris, Siqeli Qua Qua, David Alo, Brian Sefenaia.

Some of the players only played together for short periods of time, but for several seasons in succession Manly have had very settled squads with a few new names playing part time rolls. An example being Nadolo who only played a handful of games before going to France. My point is that with all this talent and several first class coaches such as Melrose, McGoldrick, Cummins, Blake, Lane amongst others they still haven't been able to hold up the Shute Shield come seasons end. Manly have had a history of either chocking or just not lifting in the pressure moments during games. Last years second half against Souths would be the latest example.
Watching them play against Eastwood on Saturday it was great to see all the ManlyRoos guys coming through such as Alley and Crerar, Bergelin, BJ as well an injured Gilmore and the Hooper brothers. That said it is going to take alot of hard work from these guys and the coaching staff to get them to the level of Eastwood.
Lastly I know how strong and how mch depth most clubs have had over the same period of time but seriously no grandfinal appearances since 1997 with those guys playing. Extraordinary.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
In response to The Galah and Dave Beats hyperbole regarding the 3m's or MMM I'd like to add the following. Since Manly last won the Shute Shield in 1997 against Eastwood the Manly playing roster has included some of the following players.
Forwards
Willie O, Simon Kerr, Tony Daly, Damien Cummins, Josh Mann Rae, James Lakepa, Ruben Bilj, Eddie Aholelei, Elvis Taione, Salesi Manu, Jono Owen, Tim Fairbrother, Stu Wilson, Sean Maloney, Jarrod Heaney, Bruce Raque, Greg Peterson, Dylan Sigg, Ed Gower, Luke Jones, Caderyn Neville, James Campbell, Tim O'Brien, Matt Hodgson, Simon Kasprowicz, Marlon Solofuti, Tevita Metuisela, Ben Kennedy, Kotone Ale, Jordy Reid, Cliffy Palu and Geaorge Smith.
Backs
Chris Siale, Lui Siale, Ben Seymour, Dave Collis, Paul Warwick, Chris Malone, Peter Hewat, Willie Ripia,Scott Daruda, Paul Sheedy, Mark Swanepoel, Chris Cottee, Tyrone Smith, Andrew Smith, Robbie Coleman, Semi Taupeaafe, Meli Nakauta, Alaska Taufa, Emori Bolo Bolo, Nemani Nadolo, Leon Bott, Adam Darcy, Josh Valentine, Sam Harris, Siqeli Qua Qua, David Alo, Brian Sefenaia.

Some of the players only played together for short periods of time, but for several seasons in succession Manly have had very settled squads with a few new names playing part time rolls. An example being Nadolo who only played a handful of games before going to France. My point is that with all this talent and several first class coaches such as Melrose, McGoldrick, Cummins, Blake, Lane amongst others they still haven't been able to hold up the Shute Shield come seasons end. Manly have had a history of either chocking or just not lifting in the pressure moments during games. Last years second half against Souths would be the latest example.
Watching them play against Eastwood on Saturday it was great to see all the ManlyRoos guys coming through such as Alley and Crerar, Bergelin, BJ as well an injured Gilmore and the Hooper brothers. That said it is going to take alot of hard work from these guys and the coaching staff to get them to the level of Eastwood.
Lastly I know how strong and how mch depth most clubs have had over the same period of time but seriously no grandfinal appearances since 1997 with those guys playing. Extraordinary.

Yep I agree Lily when you look at that list - an interesting read - perenial under acheivers and last years effort against Souths was a dismal end to the season. MMM's depth this year is huge but is being tested at present. I suspect one big variable is attitude/culture this year; the spirit in the club despite the setbacks of last 2 weeks is very strong. Blakey is apparently training 1's and 2's as a squad and has lifted the intensity of skills sessions at training. It may take a few weeks to come through but I still think it will be a big year for MMMs.

Word is Jordy Reid and Pat Leofa back this week and we have Ed in the team for one more week at least because judiciary not convening until next week .

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
Yep I agree Lily when you look at that list - an interesting read - perenial under acheivers and last years effort against Souths was a dismal end to the season. MMM's depth this year is huge but is being tested at present. I suspect one big variable is attitude/culture this year; the spirit in the club despite the setbacks of last 2 weeks is very strong. Blakey is apparently training 1's and 2's as a squad and has lifted the intensity of skills sessions at training. It may take a few weeks to come through but I still think it will be a big year for MMMs.

Word is Jordy Reid and Pat Leofa back this week and we have Ed in the team for one more week at least because judiciary not convening until next week .
Anyone know how Marty Plotzkys is? It would be wrong if he's out for a week with concussion and Gower gets to play, even if only for a week before a lengthy break.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Anyone know how Marty Plotzkys is? It would be wrong if he's out for a week with concussion and Gower gets to play, even if only for a week before a lengthy break.

I hope he's okay, it was a very unfortunate shoeing away a fly that was bothering and grabing him that went wrong. He definately didnt aim up and king hit him in a stink. Over the years Ed hasn't demonstrated to be a dirty or mallice player.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
events-header.jpg

Colts Lunch with Steve Williams - Saturday 4 May

LAST CHANCE TO BUY TICKETS FOR THE STEVE WILLIAMS LUNCH.

Go on-line now to book your seat www.trybooking.com/46650
It is easy to book and there will be no ticket sales on the day.

Steve Williams Captain of the Marlins' 1983 Shute Shield winning team, Wallaby 1980-1985 playing 56 internationals, including 28 Tests, 1984 Grand Slam victory and captain of the Wallabies in 5 Tests.

Watch the exciting Colts style of play from the Balcony, the best seats in the house.

Date: Saturday 4 May 2013
Time: 1.00pm
Venue: The George Smith Room in the Manly Oval Pavilion
Cost: $50.00 per person, includes buffet lunch and drinks (beer, wine, soft from 1.00 to 3.00pm).

To Reserve your seat; make your booking at www.trybooking.com/46650by
Wednesday 1 May 2013. Seats are limited to 50. There will be no cash sales
on the day.

Our Lunch Sponsors; Ausflow Irrigation, Garfish Restaurants and Bring Back
Rucking Club (est 1823).

Contact Allan Dodd 0418 987 366 or Phil Brand 0421 612 248

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)

I hope he's okay, it was a very unfortunate shoeing away a fly that was bothering and grabing him that went wrong. He definately didnt aim up and king hit him in a stink. Over the years Ed hasn't demonstrated to be a dirty or mallice player.
Looked like a brain snap and not premiditated, however it was the damage, both real and potential, to Marty that makes it a very bad look.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Looked like a brain snap and not premiditated, however it was the damage, both real and potential, to Marty that makes it a very bad look.

Ryan - don't disagree with you. We all hope Marty is okay.

Ignoring the damage only for a moment - It looked like Quade dropping the knee into McCaw was premiditated, and I've seen others that appear dirty premiditated get no or very limited punishment because there was no damage.

So this wrack off dont bother me brain snap unfortunately caused some damage, heavey weight (Gower) v fly weight (Cooper) possibly meant damage.

I'd love to see only a warning but yeah I'm biased.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
You can be as biased as hell but that doesn't necessarily mean you should condone on field violence of this nature, or endorse a slap on the hand with a wet bus ticket as a punishment.

IRB advice is that striking/punching starts at 5 weeks stand down for mid range offending. I can't really see this being a warning somehow.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You can be as biased as hell but that doesn't necessarily mean you should condone on field violence of this nature, or endorse a slap on the hand with a wet bus ticket as a punishment.
IRB advice is that striking/punching starts at 5 weeks stand down for mid range offending. I can't really see this being a warning somehow.

Don't condone and expecting some time on the sideline, just as little as possible naturally. Said I wish it was a repremand only.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
In what sense is a "brainsnap" , whatever that might be , less of a crime than any other assault.
If you are implying that it was an impulsive action not conceived in the shed prior to running on , does that make it any less dangerous ,or that the consequences to the victim are diminished , or that
players who have unexpected "brainsnaps" should be any more welcome in the game of Rugby ?
We're not talking about a good old fashioned one on one punch up here between two willing combatants are we.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think you are being way too harsh here.
You are speaking like he was minding his business and was king hit.
He was dragging Gower away from the play.He was cheating and, had Gower not knocked him out,most on here would agree it was a bit of "jungle justice"
Obviously things have moved on from the ''good old days",and it can't be condoned.But I think there was provocation involved in this case, and it should be factored in when sentencing him.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think you are being way too harsh here.
You are speaking like he was minding his business and was king hit.
He was dragging Gower away from the play.He was cheating and, had Gower not knocked him out,most on here would agree it was a bit of "jungle justice"
Obviously things have moved on from the ''good old days",and it can't be condoned.But I think there was provocation involved in this case, and it should be factored in when sentencing him.

Agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.