• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Is it time to accept the module of the Emus out of Nepean rugby ground is not going to work and maybe move to getting a club setup further up the mountains and have it at say Katoomba and use the Blue Mountains rugby club or go even further to Lithgow and tap into the country region.
Have the club have 2 grade teams and a colts team and 1st year have all teams travel to them.
This is just me thinking aloud and throwing an idea out there

I'm going to say it again. Look to the South West of the city. The Macarthur region has a significant population and is slated to be a if not the major growth region for the city in the next 20 years. There are both large Kiwi and Islander communities full of 1st generation children who with the right development would provide a great vein of players. That $200,000 could used to develop school competition throughout the area even moving into the Liverpool area that could act as the feeder source for say the Campbelltown Harlequins to come online in a few seasons.

Andrew B Cox

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just drop them for balamin..problem solvered
Not sure St Pats, Drummoyne or indeed West Harbour would agree with you Thierry.

Lets see how the Muzzled Wolves fare in their first season in Kentwell Cup before we start talking about promotion.

They are very well organised and resourced, but they really do need to dominate to come up.

I don't disagree with WCR about Cambelltown. The 'Quins are a re good starting point, but once again, I reckon they need to show on the pitch why they should be in the Shute Shield.

Remember, Penrith weren't around the mark in Div 2 when they came up. That may have been their problem.

My 2 bobs worth. If you want 12 teams- bring back the Vikings/Kookas.

Incoming!!!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not sure St Pats, Drummoyne or indeed West Harbour would agree with you Thierry.

Lets see how the Muzzled Wolves fare in their first season in Kentwell Cup before we start talking about promotion.

They are very well organised and resourced, but they really do need to dominate to come up.

I don't disagree with WCR about Cambelltown. The 'Quins are a re good starting point, but once again, I reckon they need to show on the pitch why they should be in the Shute Shield.

Remember, Penrith weren't around the mark in Div 2 when they came up. That may have been their problem.

My 2 bobs worth. If you want 12 teams- bring back the Vikings/Kookas.

Incoming!!!

I see the Quins as more of a project. If Penrith were to drop out then the competition should go on as a 11 team competition for a few seasons while the Quins and the ARU get everything in order. Give them two years and then bring them in returning the competition to 12. Or conversely, look to split the Shield in to two divisions of 8. The Top 8 from the season before would form the top division and the bottom 4 will be joined by a couple of the the nearby country regions (Illawarra and Hunter) the likes of Balmain and Campbelltown. Promo/relegtion set up. Pretty simple in the end.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
I see the Quins as more of a project. If Penrith were to drop out then the competition should go on as a 11 team competition for a few seasons while the Quins and the ARU get everything in order. Give them two years and then bring them in returning the competition to 12. Or conversely, look to split the Shield in to two divisions of 8. The Top 8 from the season before would form the top division and the bottom 4 will be joined by a couple of the the nearby country regions (Illawarra and Hunter) the likes of Balmain and Campbelltown. Promo/relegtion set up. Pretty simple in the end.
Mate, love your passion - keep it going. A couple of thoughts - we had a 3 division 10 team system in the early 80's - not sure we need to go back to divisions. Also wonder about the ARU supporting a club like Penrith that seems to have a number of Kiwi expats - prefer to see them pumping money into juniors ala the AFL than supporting semi-professional outfits.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
If Balmain/Wests mungo can do a joint venture involving playing home games at Campbelltown, why can't we take the best of WCR and TD's suggestions and have a joint venture between the Balmain Fanatics and Campbelltown Harlequins if it is decided that the Emus are a basket case?

Crashy

Colin Windon (37)
Hearing about randwick pinching emus players does my head in. Seriously wicks, develop your own players FFs.
By the way I hear manly marlins just posted a profit of 200k for this year which gives the sea eagles a run for their money. Gordon are also dusting off the old foundation which is something every club needs to form. Sydney uni's foundation has 2 or 3 mil in it and the income forms part of the club's funding.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is it time to accept the module of the Emus out of Nepean rugby ground is not going to work and maybe move to getting a club setup further up the mountains and have it at say Katoomba and use the Blue Mountains rugby club or go even further to Lithgow and tap into the country region.
I'm going to say it again. Look to the South West of the city. The Macarthur region has a significant population and is slated to be a if not the major growth region for the city in the next 20 years. There are both large Kiwi and Islander communities full of 1st generation children who with the right development would provide a great vein of players. That $200,000 could used to develop school competition throughout the area even moving into the Liverpool area that could act as the feeder source for say the Campbelltown Harlequins to come online in a few seasons.
If Balmain/Wests mungo can do a joint venture involving playing home games at Campbelltown, why can't we take the best of WCR and TD's suggestions and have a joint venture between the Balmain Fanatics and Campbelltown Harlequins if it is decided that the Emus are a basket case?
Just drop them for balamin..problem solvered
For the sake of decency could we not wait until the patient is dead before trundling the cadaver off to the morgue?

It's interesting to observe that the "Jack Principle" is still alive and well.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hey guys - 1st time poster long time viewer of the forum - just wondering if there has been any word on if the abc will be showing the shute shield on tv next year? Been following the shute shield for 10 years now - been watching it since a junior and would hate to see it not on....

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
For the sake of decency could we not wait until the patient is dead before trundling the cadaver off to the morgue?

It's interesting to observe that the "Jack Principle" is still alive and well.

I'm not death riding Penrith. I actually think they need to have a presence in the West beyond Parra. However, if it isn't working then something needs to be investigated. From personal experience, I am just putting forth a potential solution if it were to occur that would potentially return greater dividends in terms of player's and support than Penrith currently enjoys.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hey guys - 1st time poster long time viewer of the forum - just wondering if there has been any word on if the abc will be showing the shute shield on tv next year? Been following the shute shield for 10 years now - been watching it since a junior and would hate to see it not on..

Yeah pretty sure they have confirmed it for 2013.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Wasn't death riding Penrith, as I said I was just thinking out aloud
Something that has has not worked for 15 years and had a bucket load of money thrown at it and now a possible another 200k should be given a few more years just to make sure it isn't working
Question is when is enough enough?
How long does the CPR keep going.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Wasn't death riding Penrith, as I said I was just thinking out aloud
Something that has has not worked for 15 years and had a bucket load of money thrown at it and now a possible another 200k should be given a few more years just to make sure it isn't working
Question is when is enough enough?
How long does the CPR keep going.

I know a lot of rugby people who live in the Penrith area..............and one of them made a great quote to me yesterday when we caught up for a beer at the Vegas of The West...........he said, 'the problem with the Emu's is that the community clearly doesn't want a rugby team in Penrith'.

And that my friends, in my opinion, hits the nail on the head

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
I know a lot of rugby people who live in the Penrith area......and one of them made a great quote to me yesterday when we caught up for a beer at the Vegas of The West.....he said, 'the problem with the Emu's is that the community clearly doesn't want a rugby team in Penrith'.

And that my friends, in my opinion, hits the nail on the head
Knuckles, as one who has pounded the pavement in Parramatta for three years, the issue isn't not wanting a rugby team in the area, it's not knowing one exists. In the west of Sydney, Rugby is seen as either an elitist wank or a game played by players who can't make it in League. To tell locals they have a side competing against the likes of Sydney Uni or Randwick is akin to saying we play against Manchester United or the Yankees, they smile and feign familiarity but really have no idea. There are plenty of rugby fans in the west but for most their interest stops at the super rugby level or for some at the school level. If, as Nick Farr Jones has stated, that the ARU and NSW Rugby see the Shute Shield as the 'third tier'' then they will invest heavily in promoting the game in greater Sydney and do whatever it takes to ensure clubs like Penrith survive and indeed thrive.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
If, as Nick Farr Jones has stated, that the ARU and NSW Rugby see the Shute Shield as the 'third tier'' then they will invest heavily in promoting the game in greater Sydney and do whatever it takes to ensure clubs like Penrith survive and indeed thrive.
And I think that's where we all get bogged down a bit - what does it take to "ensure clubs ... survive and indeed thrive"?. Past efforts with Penrith have had brief successes not sustained even with the tireless efforts of a few dedicated people within the Penrith club. We need to find a better way to support them. There's no doubt that much of the Two Blues' resurgence is down to the appointment of the current GM and I'm pretty sure that the NSWRU assisted in no small way in getting him on board at Parra. Perhaps a similar investment at Penrith might pay the dividend I am sure we all want. Training and support for administrative and entrepreneurial abilities similar to those displayed by the Parra GM should be supported by the NSWRU for all clubs - I'm not sure how this can be funded but it would seem to be an option worth further discussion/investigation. The development officers of the past could come under future consideration once the clubs are financially stable. It would be interesting to get the views of ParraGM but he seems to have decided not to take active participation in these forums some time ago.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
And I think that's where we all get bogged down a bit - what does it take to "ensure clubs . survive and indeed thrive"?. Past efforts with Penrith have had brief successes not sustained even with the tireless efforts of a few dedicated people within the Penrith club. We need to find a better way to support them. There's no doubt that much of the Two Blues' resurgence is down to the appointment of the current GM and I'm pretty sure that the NSWRU assisted in no small way in getting him on board at Parra. Perhaps a similar investment at Penrith might pay the dividend I am sure we all want. Training and support for administrative and entrepreneurial abilities similar to those displayed by the Parra GM should be supported by the NSWRU for all clubs - I'm not sure how this can be funded but it would seem to be an option worth further discussion/investigation. The development officers of the past could come under future consideration once the clubs are financially stable. It would be interesting to get the views of ParraGM but he seems to have decided not to take active participation in these forums some time ago.

I thought you were Belly, the Parra GM 2BF........

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Knuckles, as one who has pounded the pavement in Parramatta for three years, the issue isn't not wanting a rugby team in the area, it's not knowing one exists. In the west of Sydney, Rugby is seen as either an elitist wank or a game played by players who can't make it in League. To tell locals they have a side competing against the likes of Sydney Uni or Randwick is akin to saying we play against Manchester United or the Yankees, they smile and feign familiarity but really have no idea. There are plenty of rugby fans in the west but for most their interest stops at the super rugby level or for some at the school level. If, as Nick Farr Jones has stated, that the ARU and NSW Rugby see the Shute Shield as the 'third tier'' then they will invest heavily in promoting the game in greater Sydney and do whatever it takes to ensure clubs like Penrith survive and indeed thrive.

ARU and NSWRU dont have the $$$ nor the desire to ensure the survival of the Shute Shield. Let's never forget, those two organisations are the epitomy of elitism.

what they'll do though, is gou out and find 8 or 10 multi millionaire dummies to fund clubs in a new 3rd tier comp and leave the sydney, brisbane and canberra comps in limbo.

Warren Livingstone will get what he wants, as money talks. I'm already hearing rumours negotiations are well advanced and include a merger between Balman and Eastwood.................

Status
Not open for further replies.