• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Good size crowd at TG Milner. Field is looking poor.

Is the drought back on with watering restrictions?

The Federal Govt investment in the ARU High Performance Centre can not came soon enough to upgrade the playing surface.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
For wamberal (rewinding Foxtel)

Eastwood 55
Tries: B Batger (2), Perrett, Roach, McCaffrey, Stannard, Hilgendorf, Hill
Con: B Batger (5/7), Hola (1/1)
Pen B Batger (1/1)

Manly 24
Tries: Woodhouse (2), Jones
Con: Milroy (3/3)
Pen: Milroy (1/1)

Manly comprehensively outplayed by more composed Woodies who strangled the life out of any MMM attack, which also created several gift tries to the Woodies.

They should give the Corporation a bloody good run for their money next week.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
More Stats from ABC TV.

Lineouts: Woodies 9/1, MMM 16/0
Rucks/Mauls: Woodies 69, MMM 100
Penalties: Woodies 5, MMM 7
Missed Tackles: Woodies 7, MMM 27
Turnovers: Woodies 10, MMM 18
Possession: Woodies 53%, MMM 47%
Time in Op 22: Woodies 10:39, MMM 19:27
Yellow Card: Woodies 1 - Roche, MMM 0

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Missed tackles and turnovers are the decider here. Well done Eastwood. I will be .................. them next week against the evil enemy. Sorry Bruce.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Woodies looked fresh from their week off.

MMM looked jaded, and are probably still psychologically gutted from getting done in the last seconds of last weeks game.

How would things have been with MMM vs Hobbits and Woodies vs Students finals games this weekend?

Woodies looked to have plenty left in their tank, and the GF should be a corker of a game next week.

Big day for both clubs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
More Stats from ABC TV.

Lineouts: Woodies 9/1, MMM 16/0
Rucks/Mauls: Woodies 69, MMM 100
Penalties: Woodies 5, MMM 7
Missed Tackles: Woodies 7, MMM 27
Turnovers: Woodies 10, MMM 18
Possession: Woodies 53%, MMM 47%
Time in Op 22: Woodies 10:39, MMM 19:27
Yellow Card: Woodies 1 - Roche, MMM 0

That is a phenomenal missed tackle count. Says a lot about the team.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The stats people often get it wrong with many of the counts having a bit of subjectivity in them, but a 27 to 7 missed tackle count suggests that there was a real problem in that area for the MMM.

I think their heart of hearts wasn't in this game. Last week was their GF (which they should have won). Having lost that one in the dying seconds of the match after leading for so long, they just couldn't back up against the minor premiers.

As much as these words may choke my keyboard, the Woodies deserved to be minor premiers this year and have a bloody good chance of winning the GF. They are a decent team that is well coached and able to execute a sound and simple gameplan.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The stats people often get it wrong with many of the counts having a bit of subjectivity in them, but a 27 to 7 missed tackle count suggests that there was a real problem in that area for the MMM.

I think their heart of hearts wasn't in this game. Last week was their GF (which they should have won). Having lost that one in the dying seconds of the match after leading for so long, they just couldn't back up against the minor premiers.

As much as these words may choke my keyboard, the Woodies deserved to be minor premiers this year and have a bloody good chance of winning the GF. They are a decent team that is well coached and able to execute a sound and simple gameplan.

Sorry to be a bit of a pedant Hugh but MMM played Easts last week and won reasonably comfortably (on the scoreboard at least) in the end. But I do agree with you, they played there GF two weeks ago. Pity.

That aside, I thought Eastwood did that quite comfortably today with plenty left for Uni next week. Should be a really good game as they are the best team to have competed the entire season. All I have to say now is good luck for next week and hopefully they can overcome the juggernaut that is Uni. Not only for the players and the club but for the competition as a whole.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
the Woodies ....... have a bloody good chance of winning the GF. They are a decent team that is well coached and able to execute a sound and simple gameplan.
They have a great coach, a team that is committed to executing their plan, skillful and mentally tough players, a little flair, pace (possibly not as much as some of the other teams, but enough) and solid replacements. They'll go OK but will they have enough against "the evil empire"/"Camperdown Corporation"? I honestly don't know. I do know that we can expect a cracking match and I fully expect a result to be in doubt until the final minutes. I'll be cheering for Eastwood.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Dave Dennis has been called up to the Wallabies squad as replacement for Jake Schatz. A tense couple days for both sides with Robinson and Foley also a chance of Wallaby call ups.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As Hugh mentioned. Eastwood vs University in all four grades, that's a remarkable achievement for both clubs.
Should be an awesome Shute Shield final. The Students will be their usual selves (strong across the board). However, I think Eastwood are fired up to win. They have had a great season and I really hope they give it to Uni like Souths did last year.
Next Sunday marks 9 consecutive Grand-Finals in a row for the Students, hasn't happened since Randwank did that from 1977-1985. I wonder if they can continue on and achieve what Randwick did in getting into 16 straight Grand-Finals, from 1977-1992.
I recall hearing that in 1983 Randwick had their usual strong presence of Wallaby power and an Alan Jones coached Manly won in a great contest. I hope to see the same sort of game happen on Sunday, where it is a contest till the 80th minute.
Good luck to both sides, can Uni keep the Shute Shield at Camperdown for another year or can the Woodies repeat 2011?...only time will tell.

Samcorno

Frank Row (1)
Can somebody let me know how Jared Barry went for Eastwood? I know he needs to get get fitter but he has amazing offload ability and he is a big unit and very aggressive. I believe we have too many nice guys in the Wallabies and if this guy was put on a professional program I am sure he would blossom...thought??

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I should be delighted that the Magnificent Men have all four grades in the grand final. However, the very best Grand Final days are when several clubs are represented in the various games.

Having said that, four wins would be nice. Go the Woodies.

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Can somebody let me know how Jared Barry went for Eastwood? I know he needs to get get fitter but he has amazing offload ability and he is a big unit and very aggressive. I believe we have too many nice guys in the Wallabies and if this guy was put on a professional program I am sure he would blossom.thought??

Jared Barry was outstanding in attack and defence.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Predictions:
Uni in 3rds and 4ths,
Eastwood in 2nds
1sts - toss the coin but feel Eastwood has better form - depends on which Soup players turn up (Foley especially).

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
He has been all season. Obviously he needs to change clubs to get noticed ;).
Hey Wamberal, your club has deservedly made the grand final in all 4 grades, which is a great achievement.
How about having a "chip on the shoulder free week".
You're not a glass half full or half empty guy, you don't seem to be even able to see the glass.
Up the Woodies!

Status
Not open for further replies.