• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
78-0. This is a disaster.

The grand final margin will be 50+

the looming bigger disaster for SS caused by Uni's superior resources and recruiting power is exemplified by yesterday's colts semi final - for 100 plus poinys to be put on a 4th placed side is frightenng.

While I am in the Uni are the benchmark and can be beaten camp (particularly by the MMM's) unless the fearless leaders ( including those with Sydney Uni allegiances) get 2014 participation criteria correct particularly around player eligibility and objective measurement of non cash benefits the present format of SS is dead.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Why are the students who finished 2nd playing Manly who finished 3rd at Manly Oval. Also why is Easts vs Norths being played at Chatswood. Is it a ground availability issue
Venues preordained = NSWRU gets the gate - people actually turn up to Manly .a potential Rats style/5000 gate is a good pay day

qaz

Allen Oxlade (6)
the looming bigger disaster for SS caused by Uni's superior resources and recruiting power is exemplified by yesterday's colts semi final - for 100 plus poinys to be put on a 4th placed side is frightenng.

While I am in the Uni are the benchmark and can be beaten camp (particularly by the MMM's) unless the fearless leaders ( including those with Sydney Uni allegiances) get 2014 participation criteria correct particularly around player eligibility and objective measurement of non cash benefits the present format of SS is dead.

Yeah that is great for the game...... 1v4 losing by 100 points.
Why will 19 year old continue to move up into the shute shield format for other clubs when they know they are playing for 2nd place?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Aaaaah, the Shute Shield is just a great competition for the game, isn't it? Especially at the business end of the season.

The game is definitely the winner!!!! The only problem is the game that wins is not rugby. It is the game played by the opposition codes.

Condor67

Frank Row (1)
Yeah that is great for the game.. 1v4 losing by 100 points.
Why will 19 year old continue to move up into the shute shield format for other clubs when they know they are playing for 2nd place?

Because they can go to grade and only get beat by 78 points by the
6th SUPER RUGBY TEAM IN AUSTRALIA or you could always join them?????

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Lets see how the season pans out, cant wait.
Some questions about Pulvers possible plans.
  1. Super B comp, why weaken our club comp?
  2. Why not start and finish the Shute Comp in line with the Super comp, and thus reducing the impact on the returning super players (as we have now)?
  3. Why not start a new Rep Comp at the completion of the Super & the Shute - structure to be built with "clubs input", and to include Grade & U 20's.
The above promotes and uses the foundations already in place.
Bring on finals rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The minor premiership should get more recognition (and I am not saying this just because the Magnificent Men won it!)

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
  2. Why not start and finish the Shute Comp in line with the Super comp, and thus reducing the impact on the returning super players (as we have now)?
  3. Why not start a new Rep Comp at the completion of the Super & the Shute - structure to be built with "clubs input", and to include Grade & U 20's.

Bring on finals rugby.

I'm fairly certain the Super B concept is supposed to be run before the club season starts. Or at least that's what I've read.

As for the second and third points. Could not agree more. Needs to happen.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Why are the students who finished 2nd playing Manly who finished 3rd at Manly Oval. Also why is Easts vs Norths being played at Chatswood. Is it a ground availability issue

Grounds for the semis were allocated a few weeks ago. The SRU then allocates games to the most relevant grounds, which can cause unfair home ground advantage but I guess they see that as better than having, say, Manly vs Uni out at Concord or Milner.

howyagoin

Ted Fahey (11)
NSW rugby needs as much $$$ as they can get & putting Manly at home for a semi ensures much better crowd numbers & more gate for NSW rugby. Besides... Why should Uni get any more advantages?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I might be wrong, but I think that the finals games are put out to tender, the best bid wins the rights.

I doubt that anybody wants to host the grand final, however. :(

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Because they can go to grade and only get beat by 78 points by the
6th SUPER RUGBY TEAM IN AUSTRALIA or you could always join them?????
In a hypothetical dreamworld, Would the side that Uni fielded yesterday beat most Super teams? I think yes.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)

Bring on finals rugby.
I like 2 and 3 and pose a 4th if something along these lines is not seriously considered. How about a break away union .......? :)

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Here's an idea.
Sydney Uni have outgrown club rugby in Sydney.
When Uni beats Randwick 78-0 in 1st grade and 103-5 in a 1st Colt's semi-final on the same day, it's clear there is an issue.
If the Club Rugby administrators can't or won't make changes for season 2014 then the other 11 clubs should man up and force change themselves.
Every club should simply forfeit every game in every grade against Sydney Uni. Uni would have nobody to play against and it would force administrators to act.
Problem is that ex Sydney Uni players rule rugby administration roles at NSW Rugby, Waratah Rugby and the ARU.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
It is what it is
Hearing you, yes. But remodel may be simpler, and more beneficial than the suggested.
They haven't won the minor premiership for a number of years now, their real dominance starts at the end of the Soup when players return - hence my # 2 suggestions above.
My number 3 suggestion seeks club input, a structure that benefits the clubs and promotes our clubs and rugby.

Fat cats can lose
Need muscle up front, agro in the loose and speed in the backs.
Know anyone who has all three

Full 80 minutes, attitude, and game plan!

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
It is what it is
Hearing you, yes. But remodel may be simpler, and more beneficial than the suggested.
They haven't won the minor premiership for a number of years now, their real dominance starts at the end of the Soup when players return - hence my # 2 suggestions above.
My number 3 suggestion seeks club input, a structure that benefits the clubs and promotes our clubs and rugby.

Full 80 minutes, attitude, and game plan!
DB, you seem like you follow club rugby very closely.
What you say is true about 1st grade but typically they dominate the minor premiership in lower grades and colts.
Sydney Uni manipulate their playing lists throughout the year. In club rounds where an opposition club might have a threatening lower grade team they will 'drop in' a few superior players into that particular grade that week, even at the expense of that player playing a deservedly higher grade.
The playing field is simply too uneven for more of the same to continue.
God bless the clubs but they can't even agree on the simple premise of whether to pay Shute Shield players or not.
Sydney Uni are a tweener club. They're superior in club rugby but would be inferior in Super Rugby.
All that aside, best wishes for next weekend.

sidelinesid

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If the Shute shield format is to survive there will have to be limit to the amount of "contracted" players in any team and none below first grade.
The weekend saw almost all on one team being professionals versus all amateurs. The result is well known.
The week end score line as well as score lines against teams like Penrith are not conducive to a healthy competition. Clubs all have cycles and uni are at their peak now so this is not about clubs .
This is about professionals against amateurs at an amateur level.

Status
Not open for further replies.