• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Shute Shield 2010

Who will you be supporting in the 2010 Shute Shield?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sydney Wallabies

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...i-oval-for-final/story-e6frey4i-1225927002208

Souths angry at Uni oval for final

By Jon Geddes
September 21, 2010 12:00AM

SOUTHERN Districts have protested about playing their preliminary final against Sydney University on Sunday at University Oval, claiming the ground is dangerous and players risk serious injury.

And The Daily Telegraph is in receipt of an email from a rival team supporting Souths that described University Oval as "a sub-standard venue, and potentially hazardous".

They told Souths they should apply to have the final moved to Concord or TG Millner Field because University Oval was "just plain dangerous" and cricket will be played there next week.

"The cricket pitch is totally unacceptable for professional and semi-professional players to have to play on at this time of year," Souths coach Darren Bray said.

"I have genuine concerns about my players getting hurt and other clubs have made noises about it as well."

Souths are also angry that the Students are the only team to get a home-ground advantage through the finals.

The game was set down for University Oval after the club won a tender to host the game.

"The whole thing stinks, it's not fair and is not in the spirit of the agreement laid at a presidents' meeting a couple of Wednesdays ago," Souths football manager Max Currie said yesterday.

"And what sort of a tender process was it?

"They chose Woollahra, Coogee and University Oval with no parking."

Outgoing NSW Rugby CEO Jim L'Estrange said University had played 11 home games this year and University Oval was a very safe ground.

He said that despite Souths complaints, the finals venue would not be changed.

L'Estrange said that clubs had voted to put the semi-final venues out to tender and that had all happened about two months ago.

He said three weeks ago club presidents said that there should be an attempt to avoid any teams in first grade getting a home-ground advantage.

"But that is easier said than done," he said.

"You can't run a tender process and then tell people the tender process doesn't work any more."

R

Red Rooster

Its pathetic! They were able to change the game last week to comply with neutrality now this week???? L'Estrange is a Uni man so he wont try too hard - he is leaving anyway so why would he care - You could, however, expect some leadership from the Chairman, Zemancheff, on this but history suggests that this would be very unlikely. Its no wonder there is massive mistrust of the NSWRU and their lack of activity - You could bet if the situation was reversed it would not be happening

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
It seems hard to justify. At the end of the day Jim L'Estrange should have ensured that justice was seen to be done. Perceptions are everything.

S

Sydney Wallabies

Its pathetic! They were able to change the game last week to comply with neutrality now this week???? L'Estrange is a Uni man so he wont try too hard - he is leaving anyway so why would he care - You could, however, expect some leadership from the Chairman, Zemancheff, on this but history suggests that this would be very unlikely. Its no wonder there is massive mistrust of the NSWRU and their lack of activity - You could bet if the situation was reversed it would not be happening

L'Estrange may be leaving at the end of the year but he shouldn't be allowed to see out the year.

They should sack him now and bring someone else in.

It's an absolute disgrace that Souths finished higher than Uni and we have to play at Uni's home ground.

Heads should roll at NSWRU HQ at this absolutely unfair state of affairs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
On the "ring ins", in the ABC telecast they said Mitchell stepped on to the field in 4ths the day of the Bled in Sydney, just to make sure he was available in the finals. As Elsom hasn't played all season for Randwick, I would be surprised if he would be available.

Truly sickening to bend the rules like that.

P

Piggy's

I think clubs should have a look at the west harbour props for signing, they seem to be producing a lot of good front rowers in rodney blake, salesi maafu, brother campese maafu and I stronlgy recommend george fifita, who has been playing some good rugby over the years and still young!...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Huge performance from the Wicks on the weekend. I was especially impressed by Kepu. Where's that been all season? Uni still favourites for me, looking at who they will have available.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Huge performance from the Wicks on the weekend. I was especially impressed by Kepu. Where's that been all season? Uni still favourites for me, looking at who they will have available.

Apparently doing scrum training because he certainly has never been a dominant scrimmager before. I was impressed.

In Fairbrother's defense he clearly was not 100% after limping off the park last week and again this week.

Hopefully they both tour.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
I think clubs should have a look at the west harbour props for signing, they seem to be producing a lot of good front rowers in rodney blake, salesi maafu, brother campese maafu and I stronlgy recommend george fifita, who has been playing some good rugby over the years and still young!...

Isn't West Harbour a club , or do you see them as a feeder club for the others ?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Usually injured. He hasn't played many games since blowing his calf in the S14, then he had bad bruising to his foot.

I am very interested in Uni V Souths this weekend. This will be a HUGE forwards game. I am particularly looking forward to the match up between Yanuyanutawa and Dan Palmer in the scrum.

Go Souths.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mitchell is out for this week (from his twitter account)

Injuries are coming along well, just being cautious because I've been carrying it all year.. Won't be playing for the wicks unfortunately..

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
@giteau_rugby.. It's hard to look like a winger running off you.. Oh SNAP !!!
about 21 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

No doubt the best quote from Schmoo's twitter.

yellow card

Peter Burge (5)
its the same for the rats 2nd grade they have to play uni at home and finished on top with randwick, and uni get the advantage, its BS

Cyril Towers (30)
its the same for the rats 2nd grade they have to play uni at home and finished on top with randwick, and uni get the advantage, its BS

In 2009 1st grade Gordon finished 3rd and Warringah finished 6th. The elimination semi was played at Warringah's home ground. The same tendering process for semis was used.
Strangely, hardly anyone seemed to notice.

But when Uni are seen to get an advantage.......Let loose the dogs of war!

S

Sydney Wallabies

How many advantages do you overgrown schoolboys want? All of them?

Exactly, they have virtually the whole Waratahs side to themselves, what more do they want?

Seriously, it's become that sick a joke in recent years the NSWRU may as well permanently house the Shute Shield at Sydney University.

Status
Not open for further replies.